D&D 4th Edition [Adventure]: The Missing Professor (DM: H.M.Gimlord, Looking for a Judge)

What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ý Ignore H.M.Gimlord
    My communities:

[Adventure]: The Missing Professor (DM: H.M.Gimlord, Looking for a Judge)

The Missing Professor!
    Adventure for Levels 6 - 9
    Characters:

• Gloom (Velmont): Male Longtooth Shifter Paladin, Level 6
    • Sir Draglin of Draconia (Luinnar): Male Dragonborn Fighter, Level 8
    • Dante (Iron Sky): Male Human Ranger, Level 9
    • Max (dimsdale): Male Human Bravura Warlord, Level 9
    • Auntie Mab (pacdidj): Female Human Rogue, Level 8

I made these rules a long time ago. I'm older and wiser now, but I still think they're good rules
    Rules and other fine print

OK. Sit back, get out your legal dictionary and settle in for a good cure to insomnia.... No. Seriously.

Player Info:
    I encourage you to include mini stat blocks in your posts, or at least a link to your character sheet in your signature. Mini-stat blocks allow you to keep track of your own healing surges, power usages, acquired items, etc... without having to ask the DM all the time (Don't worry. I won't be a jerk if you forget).

Example mini-stats

Arkavas - deva artivicer 4

Initiative: +2, Passive perception: 20, Passive Insight: 15

Defenses:
    AC: 21, For: 16, Ref: 18, Will: 17

Vitality:
    HP: 41, Surges: 4 AP: 1

Languages:
    Common, Goblin, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Supernal

Basic Attacks:
    Melee: +11 vs AC, 1d12+6
    Ranged: +4 vs AC, 1d8

Powers:
    Thundering Armor, Magic Weapon
    Scouring Weapon, Force Infusion
    Caustic Rampart

Weapons:
    Staff of Ruin +1, Vengefull Fullblate +1, Repeating Crossbow, Amulet of Protection +1

Healing Infusions 2:
    Choose From:
    Curative Admixture,
    Resistive Formula,

Passive checks: I will roll passive checks from time to time.

If these checks result in information (i.e.: there are arrow holes in the walls of this corridor, that dragon has one eye open, etc...), I will reveal the information in a spoiler specifically addressed to one or more characters. If you are not one of the intended characters, please do not read these spoilers. The character, however, is welcome to, in character, reveal the contents of the spoiler to the others. I'm not going to police this or anything, but the story goes more like a story, when it's done this way. Please feel free to get into your character with the information you have (or donít have).

If the passive check results in a turn of events (i.e.: a trap springing, a monster gaining surprise, failure to realize that the guy was lying all the time) the passive roll will be posted at the time that the event happens.

Combat: Malenkirk Rules! Iím taking on too much already to worry about keeping track of initiative and who got hit when. Iíll post monster stats from either the Compendium or the Adventure Tools offered by D&D Insider. Some of the bad guys have been customized for this adventure.

DM Posts during combat will include:

Status of all players, monsters, NPCs etc... indicating Name, Location, HP/MaxHP, State, Healing Surges Left, Action Points left (i.e.:: Arkavas I6 -1/41 Dying HS 0 AP 1)

Map in the form of a grid with Battleship style coordinates

Enemy Mini Stat Blocks
    including HP, AC, Fort, Refl, Will, Immunities, Resistance, and Basic Attack. If there are more specialized powers, I will post them at the time of their use.

Time's Up!: I will give players 48 hours to post, at the end of which time I reserve the right to RP the player's character on his behalf. I will use the most appropriate actions and At-Will powers only.

(this is rule created by Velmont, strict adherence to which ensures a good game pace)

Exceptions: If you will be out for a long time and unable to post, please let the party know and assign responsibility to either myself or another, willing player for RPing your character, or I can write in a scenario that takes you out of the picture until your return (The former is preferred).

OK, so I'm a hypocrite, I've been pretty delinquent lately, so I've no moral right to enforce this, but just saying that if, after two days, I do end up moving on, just be assured that I'm going to do so out of fairness for the others, not out of spite toward any individual.

What are Malenkirk Rules?

Named after their inventor Mal Malenkirk

In a nutshell:

• Players roll initiative individually, bad guys roll on initiative roll
    • Players with higher init than bad guys go before bad guys
    • Bad guys go, good guys go, bad guys, good guys, etc...
    • Good guy turns happen in first post - first acted order.
    • Illegal post-overs will be resolved in that round
    • Legal post-overs stand even if each didn't know the other was posting.

Treasure: I would love for this to be divided up on a finderís-keepers basis, or by the good will of the party, but doing this can get unfair. I guess weíll just have to see how this works out. If you donít have one already, keep a wish list on your character sheet up to date with what you would like, and Iíll try to accommodate within reason.

Die Rolling: Roll your dice on Invisible Castle. If invisible castle is down (and it is down a lot), try Dice Room using your character name and the name of this adventure (title above, punctuation and everything) as the room name. In either case highlight the die roll in your post and use the 'Insert Link' button to post a link to your die rolls.

Out of Character Content:
    Post out of character content (i.e.: complaints, tactics, mechanics, etc...) in a spoiler with the letters 'OOC' in the title.

*Whew!*

I'm sure I missed something, but we'll handle that as it comes up.

The gulls are crying in the cool of early morning, as Jahred makes preparations to sail back to Avenroc. The gangplank is lowered welcomingly, in hopes that his recruitment efforts last night were not in vain.

One of the deckhands approaches the nervous guard-captain, "Sir, we're ready to cast of on your orders," he leans in a little closer, "You think they're coming?"

"One can only hope Bwarin. One can only hope."
    Jahred raises his voice to the first-mate on forecastle, "Hoist the colors and bar the capstans! Soon as we have our men, we'll push off!"
    Last edited by H.M.Gimlord; Tuesday, 23rd August, 2011 at 05:43 AM.
    LEB Character: Arkavas - Deva Artivicer 5
    L4W Character: Mikara Li Mesadh - Elf Ranger 7
    L4W Character: Eithal Lemindt Arehei - Goliath Warden 10
    L4W Character: Ixenvalignat - Dragonborn Warlord 3

"Taking one's chances is like taking a bath, because sometimes, you end up feeling comfortable and warm, and sometimes, there is something terrible lurking around that you cannot see until it is too late, and you can do nothing else but scream and cling to a plastic duck." -Lemony Snicket The Slippery Slope

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ý Ignore H.M.Gimlord
    My communities:

OOC: Two things that I'm peculiar about:

• I'm a big top-down map buff, so I would prefer that you submit to me a top-down token. If you don't, I reserve the right to exercise my novice DAZ3D skills and create one for you .
    • Also, I'm partial to play-acting and role-playing, so you're going to have to forgive me if I get too wordy. Many of my rants are actually my way of hiding interesting gems of info that may give you a mechanical advantage later on in the game.

The important stuff, I will keep track of in a spoiler at the end of my updates.
    LEB Character: Arkavas - Deva Artivicer 5
    L4W Character: Mikara Li Mesadh - Elf Ranger 7
    L4W Character: Eithal Lemindt Arehei - Goliath Warden 10
    L4W Character: Ixenvalignat - Dragonborn Warlord 3

"Taking one's chances is like taking a bath, because sometimes, you end up feeling comfortable and warm, and sometimes, there is something terrible lurking around that you cannot see until it is too late, and you can do nothing else but scream and cling to a plastic duck." -Lemony Snicket The Slippery Slope

Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ý Ignore Luinnar
    My communities:

Wait! Don't leave without us!Draglin shouts, leaping onto the deck.

Where is everyone?! Don't they know it is morning?! We can't leave without them! If we did they would miss out on the EPIC quest!

But if we can't leave without them that means we have to wait. Draglin mumbles, wringing his hands. He was up all night in anticipation. He hated waiting. True heroes never waited. Either adventure found them, or they found adventure! Or something like that. The tales of old never did say what heroes did when not on adventurers.

Draglin Stat Block

Draglin, Dragonborn Fighter 8
    Passive Perception 16, Passive Insight 14
    AC 25, Fort 22, Reflex 21, Will 15
    HP 68/68 Bloodied 34 Surge Value 17, Surges 9/9
    Speed 6, Initiative +8
    Action Points: 1

Basic Attack Short Sword; +16, 1d6+13(+14 w/ CA) creature is marked hit or miss, if used because of an OA from movement the creature stops moving (but may take another action to move again).

Combat Challenge: At Will Immediate Interrupt Melee
    Trigger: When a marked enemy shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include Sir Draglin.
    Effect: Sir Draglin makes a melee basic attack against that enemy

Footwork Lure
    Dual Strike

Combat Challenge

Distracting Spate
    Battle Fury Stance
    Rain of Blows
    Kirre's Roar
    Dragon Breath
    Feral Hide Armor +2
    Amulet of Life +1

Bravo
    Second Wind

Tempest Dance
    Rain of Steel
    Quick Short Sword +2

Current Effects:

ooc

Thanks for the adventure!

I won't not know the first place to look for a top-down two weapon icy blue dragonborn.
    Last edited by Luinnar; Tuesday, 23rd August, 2011 at 07:06 AM.
    My PBP characters: http://tinyurl.com/yy9skz2

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ý Ignore Iron Sky
    Dante walks up to the ship and sizes it up as Virgil huffs and puffs to catch up. When the lizard finally gets there, it arches its back and hacks out clouds of oily black smoke for several seconds.

"This one hopes no giant tentacle-fish attack this ship," Dante says, half to himself, half to Virgil.

With that he walks onto the ship, Virgil ambling up behind him.

Statblocks
    Dante, Male Human Ranger 9
    Passive Perception:22, Passive Insight:17
    AC:23, Fort:24, Reflex:23, Will:21 -- Speed:6
    HP:62/62, Bloodied:31, Surge Value:16, Surges left:6/6
    Initiative +7, Action Points:1
    Powers: Twin Strike, Throw and Stab, Marauder's Rush, Off-Hand Strike, Disruptive Strike, Ruffling Sting, Heroic Effort, Invigorating Stride, Second Wind, Jaws of the Wolf, Snarling Wolf Stance, Attacks on the Run Healing LoreItems: Boots of the Fencing Master, Ruby Scabbard, Vanous' Combined Awareness, Casque of Tactics, Power Jewel
    MBA
    : +15 vs. AC, 2d4+11 damage (Crit 2d6+19)
    RBA: 5/10 +15 vs. AC, 2d4+9 damage(Crit 2d6+17)
    Notes: *OA on any enemy melee attacking Virgil if enemy is n reach 2 of Dante or Virgil adjacent to Dante. *+1 damage with CA. *+2 damage vs bloodied. *+1 AC/Ref on shift. *Draw spiked chain as part of attack. *First enemy hitting Dante takes 5 ongoing damage(save ends). *Gain 5 THP on AP. *Virgil gains 5 THP on Second Wind.

Virgil, Beast Companion(Lizard) 9
    Passive Perception:14, Passive Insight:14
    AC:23, Fort:20, Reflex:20, Will:18 -- Speed:6
    HP:86/86, Bloodied:43, Surge Value:20(25), Surges left:2/2
    MBA: +12(+14 if OA) vs. AC, 1d8+4 damage.
    Note: Virgil's OA uses Dante's Immediate Reaction.
    Last edited by Iron Sky; Tuesday, 23rd August, 2011 at 09:39 AM.

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ý Ignore Iron Sky
    Dante reacts instantly, detaching a kama and burying it deep in on of their foes with a flick of the wrist, as he drops the other to the deck, fumbling for it as the first returns to him.

OOC: Wasn't expecting to have electricity, much less internets!

Dante in Q -1, Virgil in Q -2.

Also no top-down image. If you can find one of a ninja, that'll probably work.

Actions
    Initiative: Using Vanous' Combined Awareness: 2d20(highest)+8=23
    Minor: Hunter's Quarry on L1.
    Standard: Twin Strike:
    *Free: Draw Spiked Chain
    *Attack 1: 1d20+13=CRIT vs L1, 2d6+16=22 damage(includes Hunter's Quarry and Ruby Scabbard). +1 damage if their swimming grants CA(don't have rules with me).
    *Attack 2: 1d20+13=NAT1 vs L1, to balance it out.
    Move: Shift to R -1, gain +1 AC/Ref TenT (Boots of the Fencing Master)

Immediate Actions: Attacks on Virgil Draw OAs. First attack from enemy within 2 on Dante draws Disruptive Strike as an interrupt: 1d20+15 vs AC, 2d4+11 damage and -6 to the attack.
    No Action: The first enemy to hit Dante takes 5 ongoing damage(save ends) from Counterstrike Armor.

Status Effects: +1 AC/Ref

Statblocks
    HP:62/62, Bloodied:31, Surge Value:16, Surges left:6/6
    Powers: Twin Strike, Throw and Stab, Marauder's Rush, Off-Hand Strike, Disruptive Strike, Ruffling Sting, Takedown Strike, Heroic Effort, Invigorating Stride, Second Wind, Jaws of the Wolf, Snarling Wolf Stance, Attacks on the Run Healing Lore
    Items: Boots of the Fencing Master, Ruby Scabbard, Vanous' Combined Awareness, Casque of Tactics, Power Jewel
    MBA
    Notes: *OA on any enemy melee attacking Virgil if enemy is in reach 2 of Dante or Virgil adjacent to Dante. *+1 damage with CA. *+2 damage vs bloodied. *+1 AC/Ref on shift. *Draw spiked chain as part of attack. *First enemy hitting Dante takes 5 ongoing damage(save ends). *Gain 5 THP on AP. *Virgil gains 5 THP on Second Wind. *+1 defenses bloodied.

HP:86/86, Bloodied:43, Surge Value:20(25), Surges left:2/2

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ý Ignore Iron Sky
    Dante's armor flares when the Drowned One's psychic attack hits him, causing a glowing rune to burn into the undead's skin.

His chain flashes, dropping the two closest Drowned Ones.

He shakes off the psychic blast and readies himself to tear into anything that attacks Virgil.

OOC: Virgil has 86 max hitpoints, not 31. He's at 75/86.

Action Summary: Drowned One 10 took 5 ongoing damage when he hit Dante, failed his save, and will die at the start of his next turn.
    Drowned Ones in Q -2 and P -1 are dead.
    Saved.

Actions
    No Action(when Drowned One 10 hits Dante): Counterstrike Armor - Drowned One 10 takes 5 ongoing damage(save ends). He would get a save at the end of his turn: 1d20=8, failed(assuming I'm allowed to roll for them), so he'll die when his turn starts.
    Start of Turn: Take 5 ongoing damage.
    Standard: Twin Strike:
    *Attack 1: 1d20+15=CRIT vs Q -2, dead(I love wasting crits on minions).
    *Attack 2: 1d20+15=31 AC vs P -1, dead.
    Save: 1d20=9, fail, Heroic Effort: +4=13, saved.

Immediate Actions: *Melee attacks vs Virgil draw an Immediate Reaction MBA from Dante.
    Status Effects: -

Statblocks
    HP:57/62, Bloodied:31, Surge Value:16, Surges left:6/6
    Powers: Twin Strike, Throw and Stab, Marauder's Rush, Off-Hand Strike, Disruptive Strike, Ruffling Sting, Takedown Strike, Heroic Effort, Invigorating Stride, Second Wind, Jaws of the Wolf, Snarling Wolf Stance, Attacks on the Run Healing Lore
    Items: Boots of the Fencing Master, Ruby Scabbard, Vanous' Combined Awareness, Casque of Tactics, Power Jewel
    MBA
    Notes: *OA on any enemy melee attacking Virgil if enemy is in reach 2 of Dante or Virgil adjacent to Dante. *+1 damage with CA. *+2 damage vs bloodied. *+1 AC/Ref on shift. *Draw spiked chain as part of attack. *First enemy hitting Dante takes 5 ongoing damage(save ends). *Gain 5 THP on AP. *Virgil gains 5 THP on Second Wind. *+1 defenses bloodied.

HP:75/86, Bloodied:43, Surge Value:20(25), Surges left:2/2

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ý Ignore Iron Sky
    <Look how double posted this is!>
    Last edited by Iron Sky; Tuesday, 23rd August, 2011 at 09:39 AM.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ý Ignore dimsdale
    Max pauses a few minutes, surveying the ship, then steps aboard. Let's do this!
    Characters: Kruk (Lvl 11), Max (Lvl 11), Lerrick (Lvl 6)

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ý Ignore Velmont
    My communities:

Gloom walks to the ship. "You said that task may be too grim and dangerous. That is meant for me." He then walk abord the ship.

OOC
    I am quite sure @Mal Malenkirk will be happy to know you use Malenkirk Rules! (And not Malenkirk's Rules)

Also, I've decided to use my DM credit to raise my character to lvl 8, so I'll be in line with the remaining of the team. I'll update Gloom this week.

Also, please note about this thread. Theme will be probably allowed by tomorrow, so I'll include a theme in Gloom too.
    Characters
    Jarel-karn - Genasi Swordmage 12 [L4W]
    Gloom - Longtooth Shifter Paladin 11 [L4W]
    Eloan - Eladrin Warlord 7 [L4W]
    River - Longtooth Shifter Cleric 11 [LEB]
    Malehan - Elf Avenger 8 [LEB]
    Valeria - Human Witch 1

"Experience is that great thing that allow you to see a mistake when you do it again."

Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ý Ignore Luinnar
    My communities:

Wow a boat! I haven't been on a boat since... he trails off mid sentence, he did not like to think about those days.

ooc

Added mercenary theme to Draglin

Updated Draglin Stat Block

Draglin, Dragonborn Fighter 8
    Passive Perception 16, Passive Insight 14
    AC 25, Fort 22, Reflex 21, Will 15
    HP 68/68 Bloodied 34 Surge Value 17, Surges 9/9
    Speed 6, Initiative +8
    Action Points: 1

Basic Attack Short Sword; +16, 1d6+13(+14 w/ CA) creature is marked hit or miss, if used because of an OA from movement the creature stops moving (but may take another action to move again).

Combat Challenge: At Will Immediate Interrupt Melee
    Trigger: When a marked enemy shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include Sir Draglin.
    Effect: Sir Draglin makes a melee basic attack against that enemy

Footwork Lure
    Dual Strike

Combat Challenge

Distracting Spate
    Battle Fury Stance
    Rain of Blows
    Kirre's Roar
    Dragon Breath
    Feral Hide Armor +2
    Amulet of Life +1

Bravo
    Takedown Strike
    Second Wind

Tempest Dance
    Rain of Steel
    Quick Short Sword +2

Special: Draglin gains +1 to hot and +2 to damage when bloodied.

Current Effects:
    My PBP characters: http://tinyurl.com/yy9skz2

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast