[Adventure]: The Missing Professor (DM: H.M.Gimlord, Looking for a Judge)

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
As Dante burns, he makes no sound, but reaches out towards Virgil. "Goodbye to Virgil, Dante's companion since first freedom," he rasps. "And goodbye to the savok'kin - his first friends and last."

Virgil lets out a mournful wail that sounds almost human as his strange companion dies...

OOC: No worries, I asked H.M. to help me "retire" Dante so I can bring a new character in. If anyone wants to "acquire" Virgil somehow, let me know - [MENTION=79956]dimsdale[/MENTION], if you want Virgil likes Max and would become his companion... not sure how it would work mechanically, but if you want him...

[MENTION=79440]H.M.Gimlord[/MENTION], I'm assuming Dante will get full XP up to this point so that I can transfer it to my new PC when I retire Dante?

Luinnar

First Post
Noooooooooooooooooooooo! Draglin yells, glancing back to see his new friend burn up in the trap. This is all my fault! If I have not been so careless and rushed on ahead this would not have happened!

It's your fault! You'll pay for this! Draglin shouts to the man behind the wine racks.

OOC: No worries, I asked H.M. to help me "retire" Dante so I can bring a new character in. If anyone wants to "acquire" Virgil somehow, let me know - BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention @dimsdale END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention , if you want Virgil likes Max and would become his companion... not sure how it would work mechanically, but if you want him...?
OOC: A re-skinned Fey Beast Tamer companion would work well. (Young Owl Bear or Trained Displacer Beast maybe?)

Or it could work like a familiar.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: Well, I guess the cat's out of the bag. Just so that you know, THB has been champing at the bit to take Auntie Mab's place, and I'm working on a hook for getting him to Rioc Alair. Any ideas? I'm out of original ideas, so if I don't think of something soon it's back to portals, magic rings, amulets of passage, and the like.

@Iron Sky : Of course Dante will get full XP for this as soon as I calculate what it should be. It's been a while, and technically, this encounter isn't over until you all get that guy hiding in the wine racks.

As for Virgil, I'm not sure how it works with fighters and familiars/companions.

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
OOC: Just so that you know, THB has been champing at the bit to take Dante's place, and I'm working on a hook for getting him to Rioc Alair.
OOC:

OOC: So... my new character won't be able to get into this adventure? I'd be okay with that, I was just operating on the assumption that when I made my new character, he'd replace Dante.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: So... my new character won't be able to get into this adventure? I'd be okay with that, I was just operating on the assumption that when I made my new character, he'd replace Dante.

OOC: We do need a replacement for Mab ;)

What about the baddie escapes and is caught by either of the new characters?
OOC: Nonononono! Iron Sky! Of course you can bring your new character. Sorry for that slip. I was so focused on giving Dante a fitting end, that I slipped into an alternate dimension where Dante, and not Mab, woudld be replaced.

It was THB's intention to replace Mab, not Dante (I retconned my post accordingly). Apologies for the confusion to both Iron Sky and THB.

BTW: Thanks for the hook ideas. I think I'll use a little of all of them.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
OOC: My new character is mostly ready to jump in, just need to wait until we get XP so I can figure out what level she'll end up and finish up the "fluffy" bits.

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
There is no reply to Draglin's threat, but a thudding sound can be heard from the far corner of the room as if someone is jostling a locked door. In fact, that is exactly what it is, "You shouldn't leave so soon dearie," Mab taunts from atop the staircase, "we've barely gotten to know each other." She looks down to Draglin, "He's over in the far corner by the cellar door, but it must be locked. He's not going to get out that way."
OOC: I'm going to put Dante's new character in with the same hook that I give to THB. That should work. I'll award XP as soon as this last thug gets his come-uppins...or until he escapes :devil:
[sblock=status]
Gloom E8 20(22)/81HP 11/11HS 0AP Bloodied
Draglin J1 32/74HP 5/9HS Bloodied 1AP, Rain of Steel (1d6+4 damage to enemies starting turns adjacent to Draglin, rolled during Draglin's turn)
Dante N12 -18(-38)/67HP 5/6HS 0AP Dying, Immobilized, OG 10 fire (save ends both), OG 10 poison (separate save ends), Vulnerable 10 fire (separate save ends), Prone.
Virgil N9 76/94 2/2HS
Auntie Mab M13 47/60HP 7/7HS 0AP
Max L11 33/67HP 8/8HS 1AP Bloodied

Human Ruffian 1 L1 4/96HP Bloodied Dazzling Strike Hidden
Human Slavehunter -S,-1 -7/103HP Dead
Human Ruffian 4 -T,-3 0/96HP Dead
Human Knife Fighter -V,-4 -7/214HP Dead

Human Blademaster 2 -S,0 15/94HP Dead
Human Ruffian 3 -U,-5 -18/96HP Dead
Human Blademaster 1 -12/94HP
Dead
Human Ruffian -22/96HP Dead

[/sblock][sblock=Map]
TheCellarRound2-1.png
[/sblock][sblock=Terrain]The Staircase: The staircase is in tatters. Mab, Max, and Gloom are 15 feet above the cellar floor. The stairs are demolished, but the walls still have various timbers attached. Reaching the floor can be done in one move action by:

• Scaling the wall (DC 25 athletics check) will get them safely to the floor. Failure by 4 or less means that the PCs turn ends on the rope. Failure by 5 or more means that the PC falls, taking 2d10 fall damage.
  • Using a rope (DC 10 Athletics check) will get you down, but there is a 50/50 chance that the rope will catch fire from the cage causing 1d10 fire damage to the climbing PC, destroying the rope, and causing a fall for 1d10 fall damage.
  • Jumping down will reduce damage to 1d6 fall damage on a successful DC 18 Acrobatics check.
GM: I am, however, open to creative solutions

Wine Racks: These block line of sight and effect. They can be toppled by a DC 20 strength check. Once toppled, squares on the opposite side of the toppling creature are difficult terrain until the end of the encounter. Creatures in this area when the wine rack topples take 1d6 damage and grant CA until the start of their next turn.

Foodstuff Pile: This pile blocks line of sight and effect. The pile cannot be knocked over, but it can be climbed requiring 3 squares of movement per map square. The climbing creature must succeed on a DC 20 Acrobatics check, or fall, taking 1d10 fall damage.

"Small" Barrels (I7-G7 and I9-G9): These barrels are five feet long and 3 feet in diameter. They are stacked to the ceiling. They block line of sight and effect. They cannot be moved because they are bolted into place on a frame. Since they are stacked to the ceiling there is really no incentive to climb them.

Large Casks: These enormous casks block line of sight and effect. They too are immobile.

Cellar door: There is a keg ramp up a small set of stairs at the far end of the cellar that leads to the street. The door is padlocked from the outside and barred from the inside.

"Secret" Passage: At K13, there is a man-sized opening in the wall leading down a dark corridor, that has been boarded over. A rope hangs down from the ceiling in front of the boards reading, "Closed by order of the Nightwatch."

Desk and Shelf (I5-F5): Basic furniture. Costs 1 extra square of movement to climb over, provides cover to those on the opposite side, can be flipped with a DC 15 strength check. Flipped tables grant total concealment and superior cover to prone creatures on the opposite side. Ths table contains some books and ledgers, a quill, and inkwell, a candelabra, and a strongbox.

The Grate (C12-B13): This serves as the drainage point in the floor. Water can be heard gurgling beneath. A DC 15 strength check can open the grate. The closed grate does not hinder movement.[/sblock][sblock=Fiery Cage]
FieryCage.png
[/sblock]
[sblock=Spiked Pit Trap]
SpikedPitTrap.png
[/sblock][sblock=Infernal Oil]
InfernoOil15.png
[/sblock]
[sblock=Elemental Accelerant]
ElementalAccelerant.png
[/sblock][sblock=Enemy Stats]
HumanRuffian.png

[/sblock]