[Adventure]: The Missing Professor (DM: H.M.Gimlord, Looking for a Judge)

pacdidj

First Post
OOC: [MENTION=79440]H.M.Gimlord[/MENTION] - Nice tokens. Familiar's name is Tristram. He's at the bottom of Mab's combat statblock.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: @dimsdale . I think you meant that Max moves to P -2, not P2. P2 is out over the ocean (so you would be swimming right now), not to mention out of your speed range. You might also not want to move to P-2 because Velmont moved Gloom there in a previous post. Please clarify.

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC:
ooc: how about n -4?
I'm going to assume you are on deck level at the rail and not on the foresail boom ;).
Leaning over the rails, the party springs into action, Dante cuts down the closest of the assailants, sending the horrid thing to its death on the end of a long metallic tendril.

Seven deckhands rush up behind the party to offer their aid.

Max, though not as lucky as Dante, makes an impressive athletic display as he heaves his shield like a discus, nearly, but not quite decapitating one of the swimming creatures. The airborne armament arcs around like a boomerang and returns to the fighter's grip.

In similar fashion, Auntie Mab's dagger falls short of its target.

Though one of the first to reach the deck rail, Gloom finds himself without a thrown weapon, so he prepares, in advance, the demise of his first victim, which happens to show itself presently.

Gloom's swing, however, is slow, and he pays dearly for his clumsiness. Searing psychic energy courses through his body, igniting his nerves as the evil thing climbs up the side of the ship and grabs his ankle.

The other abominations begin to swarm up the planks and over the rails. Draglin and Max soon share in empathy with Gloom's pain, as they too get a taste of what these wretched creatures can do.

Suddenly, white-hot, magical bolts rock the rails, one of them slamming itself into Virgil, who writhes in agony. Massive boils erupt all over the reptile's skin and erupt in bloody sprays. Dante becomes visibly shaken at this turn of events and so succumbs to a psychic attack. Draglin is similarly distracted, and three of the seven deckhands flee the deck in terror, jumping overboard where they meet an unfitting end at the hands of the creatures below.

The remaining four deckhands move into position behind the group at the rails.

[sblock=Enemy Actions]For the sake of sanity, please continue to refer to your targets by grid location, even though I have numbered them here (I did so because I moved them before I remembered their starting positions :p). In subsequent updates, I will also refer to them by their previous location, and post their new location in the "Status" spoiler.

Drowned One 1:
Move: to O, -2
Standard: Charge to O, -2 Deck Level (Spirit Touch)
Target: Gloom
Readied Action: 1d20+16=22 vs. AC Miss
Attack: 1d20+16=27 vs. Reflex for 7 damage

Drowned One 2:
Move: to N, -3
Standard: Charge to N, -3 Deck Level (Spirit Touch)
Target: Max
Attack: 1d20+16=20 vs. Reflex Miss

Drowned One 3:
Move: to M, -4
Standard: Charge to M, -4 Deck Level (Spirit Touch)
Target: Max
Attack: 1d20+16=23 vs. Reflex for 7 damage

Drowned One 4:
Move: to P, -1
Standard: Charge to P, -1 Deck Level (Spirit Touch)
Target: Draglin
Attack: 1d20+16=23 vs. Reflex for 7 damage

Drowned One 5
Move: to Q, 0
Standard: Erie Transfiguration
Target: Jahred (Q,-1)
Attack: 1d20+16 = vs. Will for 11 psychic damage
Secondary Attack: 1d20+14=21 vs. Will (effectively 23) Miss

Drowned One 6
Move (x2): Double move to P, 3

Drowned One 7
Move (x2): Double move to P, -10

Drowned One 8
Move (x2): Double mvoe to N, -9

Drowned One 9
Move: to M, -2

Drowned One 10
Move: to N, -1
Standard: Erie Transfiguration
Target: Virgil
Attack: 1d20+16=32 vs. Will for 11 damage
Secondary Attacks
Target 1: Draglin
Attack: 1d20+14=24 Hit
Target 2: Deckhand P,-3
Attack: 1d20+14=22 Hit
Target 3: Deckhand Q,-3
Attack: 1d20+14=28 Hit
Target 4: Deckhand R, -1
Attack: 1d20+14=28 Hit
Target 5: Dante
Attack: 1d20+14=25 Hit
Target 6: Jahred
Attack: 1d20+14=17, Miss

All other drowned ones move to the locations shown on the map.
[/sblock][sblock=Status]Dante R,-1 62(57)/62HP 6/6HS 1AP Dazed, Ongoing 5 (save ends both)
Virgil Q,-2 75/86 (Physical features are distorted, no save)
Draglin P,-2 61(56)/88HP 9/9HS 1AP Dazed, Ongoing 5 (save ends both)
Max N,-4 60/67HP 8/8HS 1AP
Gloom O,-3 74/81HP 11/11HS 1AP
Auntie Mab Q,-6 60/60HP 7/7HS 1AP

Jahred Q,-1 51,51
Deckhand Overboard Dead
Deckhand Overboard Dead
Deckhand Overboard Dead

Deckhand P,-3
Deckhand Q,-3
Deckhand R, -1
Deckhand S,0

Drowned Ones:
Too Numerous to list all:
Drowned One 10(N,-1): Must recharge his Erie Transfiguration, but will die at the beginning of his next turn
Drowned One 5(Q,-1): Must recharge his Erie Transfiguration

(refer to map)
[/sblock][sblock=Wide View Map]
ThePortalGuardiansWideMapRound1.png
[/sblock][sblock=Battlemap]
ThePortalGuardiansNarrowMapRound1.png
[/sblock][sblock=Enemy Stats]x A Gagillion (give or take)
BigDrownedOne.png
[/sblock][sblock=Insight DC 20]You notice that the boats have lanterns on their prow, and you can estimate the enemy by counting the lanterns and multiplying by the number of creatures each boat can carry. This leads you to arrive at an estimated strength of 50 enemy[sblock=DC 28 on same roll]You notice that the furthest lantern seems to be hanging about 30 feet over the water. You find that odd.[/sblock][/sblock]
OOC: Concerning NPCs
The Beacon is running on a light crew. There are 6 men in the hold trying to get oars out and unbeach the ship. While they work, Jahred can only spare 7 more men to fight (3 of whom just died).

Each round, one of you may direct a single action from one NPC that has not yet performed an action during that round (this includes Jahred). This will be done on a first-come-first-serve basis. Ninja'd posts will need to be discussed among the players. [sblock=NPC Stats]
Jahred.png

X4
Deckhand.png
[/sblock]Terrain:

• The squares immediately adjacent to the masts are difficult terrain
  • The rails that bound the deck require a DC 30 strength check to break if want to push an enemy overboard from a square on the deck
  • To climb the rails takes 2 squares of movement
  • Falling into the water deals 10 points of damage (20 feet into water)
  • Jumping into the water only deals damage on a failed Athletics/Acrobatics check DC 20
  • Once in the water, you are swimming (PHB rules)
  • You may climb the rigging (PHB climbinb), but please specify your elevation at the end of your move.
[sblock=Spirit Touch roll Explanation (for the judge too)]I really botched the roll on these. If you are one to enjoy combing IC, you will find that I rolled the dice before I set the roll quantity, then I fat-fingered and double bounced the a roll of 6 times when I should have rolled 4 times. Then, I got the quantity right, but hit the Roll Dice button at the top instead of the bottom, which erased the roll setup page.

The fifth time was the charm, and much to my chagrin, the rolls were lower than the previous 3 attempts. :p, but it was the only legit roll, so there it is. I'll be more careful in the future, so beware.:devil:[/sblock]

Last edited:

Luinnar

First Post
Rawr! Come and get me cowards! You are no match for a Knight of Draconia! Draglin roars, taunting the nearby enemies.

Stick em with your sword lad, words alone won't do! Jahred says laughing, and Draglin with his encouragement stabs blindly at the nearest enemy.

[sblock=actions]
Draglin: Kirre's Roar Burst 3, Draglin gains 4 DR EONT and all enemies within the burst are marked EONT.

Save succeeded

Jahred: Appoint Champion. Gives Draglin a free MBA.
Free: MBA: natural one.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Draglin Stat Block]
Draglin, Dragonborn Fighter 8
Passive Perception 16, Passive Insight 14
AC 25, Fort 22, Reflex 21, Will 15
HP 56/68 Bloodied 34 Surge Value 17, Surges 9/9
Speed 6, Initiative +8
Action Points: 1

Basic Attack Short Sword; +16, 1d6+13(+14 w/ CA) creature is marked hit or miss, if used because of an OA from movement the creature stops moving (but may take another action to move again).

Combat Challenge: At Will Immediate Interrupt Melee
Trigger: When a marked enemy shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include Sir Draglin.
Effect: Sir Draglin makes a melee basic attack against that enemy

Footwork Lure
Dual Strike

Combat Challenge

Distracting Spate
Battle Fury Stance
Rain of Blows
Kirre's Roar
Dragon Breath
Feral Hide Armor +2
Amulet of Life +1

Bravo
Second Wind
Takedown Strike

Tempest Dance
Rain of Steel
Quick Short Sword +2

Current Effects:4 DR EONT
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Dante's armor flares when the Drowned One's psychic attack hits him, causing a glowing rune to burn into the undead's skin.

His chain flashes, dropping the two closest Drowned Ones.

He shakes off the psychic blast and readies himself to tear into anything that attacks Virgil.

OOC: Virgil has 86 max hitpoints, not 31. He's at 75/86.

Action Summary: Drowned One 10 took 5 ongoing damage when he hit Dante, failed his save, and will die at the start of his next turn.
Drowned Ones in Q -2 and P -1 are dead.
Saved.

[sblock=Actions]No Action(when Drowned One 10 hits Dante): Counterstrike Armor - Drowned One 10 takes 5 ongoing damage(save ends). He would get a save at the end of his turn: 1d20=8, failed(assuming I'm allowed to roll for them), so he'll die when his turn starts.
Start of Turn: Take 5 ongoing damage.
Standard: Twin Strike:
*Attack 1: 1d20+15=CRIT vs Q -2, dead(I love wasting crits on minions).
*Attack 2: 1d20+15=31 AC vs P -1, dead.
Save: 1d20=9, fail, Heroic Effort: +4=13, saved.

Immediate Actions: *Melee attacks vs Virgil draw an Immediate Reaction MBA from Dante.
Status Effects: -

[sblock=Statblocks]Dante, Male Human Ranger 9
Passive Perception:22, Passive Insight:17
AC:23, Fort:24, Reflex:23, Will:21 -- Speed:6
HP:57/62, Bloodied:31, Surge Value:16, Surges left:6/6
Initiative +7, Action Points:1
Powers: Twin Strike, Throw and Stab, Marauder's Rush, Off-Hand Strike, Disruptive Strike, Ruffling Sting, Takedown Strike, Heroic Effort, Invigorating Stride, Second Wind, Jaws of the Wolf, Snarling Wolf Stance, Attacks on the Run Healing Lore
Items: Boots of the Fencing Master, Ruby Scabbard, Vanous' Combined Awareness, Casque of Tactics, Power Jewel
MBA
: +15 vs. AC, 2d4+11 damage (Crit 2d6+19)
RBA: 5/10 +15 vs. AC, 2d4+9 damage(Crit 2d6+17)
Notes: *OA on any enemy melee attacking Virgil if enemy is in reach 2 of Dante or Virgil adjacent to Dante. *+1 damage with CA. *+2 damage vs bloodied. *+1 AC/Ref on shift. *Draw spiked chain as part of attack. *First enemy hitting Dante takes 5 ongoing damage(save ends). *Gain 5 THP on AP. *Virgil gains 5 THP on Second Wind. *+1 defenses bloodied.

Virgil, Beast Companion(Lizard) 9
Passive Perception:14, Passive Insight:14
AC:23, Fort:20, Reflex:20, Will:18 -- Speed:6
HP:75/86, Bloodied:43, Surge Value:20(25), Surges left:2/2
MBA: +12(+14 if OA) vs. AC, 1d8+4 damage.
Note: Virgil's OA uses Dante's Immediate Reaction.[/sblock][/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: I am definitely not above makeing mistakes. Especially when posting late at night.

[MENTION=60965]Iron Sky[/MENTION]: Thanks for the correction. For some reason, I lapsed into another adventure in which I had used a summoned creature (1/2 summoner's HP). I was lazy and didn't look at your statblock.

Also, concerning the counterstrike armor, I was, up until I double-checked, under the impression that the OG5 only applied to melee attacks, but I see that I was wrong. I think I'll put this on Eithal's wishlist ;).

I retconned the update.

Velmont

First Post
"You go feed the fish!" tells Gloom, swinging at on of the drowned one near him. His sword easily find his mark and slice in two part his opponent, sending the body parts in the water.

"They must be fifty, no fourty-nine..." he spots Dante taking care of two more "Forty-seven more to down from my evaluation, but I feel more trouble will come from that ship out there... you see that lantern 30 feet in the air..." a spear from a deckhand is trust next to him, almost piercing Gloom, but the deckhand miss the drowned one near him. "try not to kill me, sailor, I'll need to handle what is coming!"

[SBLOCK=OOC]Start:Regen 2 => 76/81
Minor: Divine Challenge on Drowned One at P-3
Standard: Holy Strike vs AC on Drowned One at P-3 (1d20+16=33, 1d12+16=24) Killed!
Minor: Insight (1d20+17=37)

Human Deckhand at P-3
Human Deckhand at P-3 vs AC on Drowned One at O-2 (1d20+17=23) Miss by 1 :(
[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Gloom's Stats]Gloom
Longtooth Shifter Paladin 10
Initiative +5
Passive Insight 27; Passive Perception 22; Senses Low-Light
HP 76/81; THP 0; Bloodied 40; Surge Value 20; Surges Per-Day 11
AC 26; Fortitude 23; Reflex 18; Will 23
Speed 5
Action Points: 1

Current Effects: None

Basic Attack: Blood Fury Fullblade +16 vs AC 1d12+10 damage

[ ]Ardent Strike
[ ]Holy Strike
[ ]Divine Challenge
[ ]Iron Wolf Warrior

[X]Longtooth Shifting
[ ]Iron Wolf Charge
[ ]Channel Divinity (Divine Mettle or Divine Strength)
[ ]Heedless Fury
[ ]Fortune Spurred Smite
[ ]Crescent Moon
[ ]Benediction

[5]Ardent Vow
[ ]Blood of the Mighty
[ ]Frenzying Smite
[ ]Death Angel
[ ]Aspect of Ferocity

[X]Blood Fury Fullblade [E]
[ ]Lauto's Shroud (The Raven Queen's Shroud) [E]
[ ]Verve Layered Plate Armor [D]
[ ]Frost Gauntlet [D]
[ ]Lauto's Shroud (The Raven Queen's Shroud) [D]
[ ]Belt of Lauto Righteousness (Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness) [D][/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Also, concerning the counterstrike armor, I was, up until I double-checked, under the impression that the OG5 only applied to melee attacks, but I see that I was wrong. I think I'll put this on Eithal's wishlist ;).

OOC: I wouldn't, there's far better armors out there - especially for a Warden. Since the ongoing is applied on their turn, they get to save against it before it even has a chance to effect them. Odds are most monsters will get rid of it before it even does anything to them, especially when you factor elites/solos into the equation.

Dwarven Armor is a good general one, Meliorating is pretty good too if reach milestones alot. I'd rate it: Counterstrike Armor on the CharOp Gold/Sky Blue/Blue/Black/Red/Purple scale.

dimsdale

First Post
Max first back at the attacker as soon as he's hit, but misses badly. He then swings again and almost loses his sword. It is obvious that the warlord still feels the effects of his foe's last attack. Draglin, that's the last time I take sword fighting lessons from you!

OOC:
immediate reaction: vengence is mine: 1d20+15 vs DO3 at m,-4 AC: Miss
movement: none
minor: none
attack: bma 1d20+15 vs DO2 at n,-3 AC: Miss: Uggh!

btw: the damge from the vengence is mine attack should have been 1d8+7, not 9. I don't know what happend there

Last edited:

Remove ads