[Adventure]: The Missing Professor (DM: H.M.Gimlord, Looking for a Judge)

Velmont

First Post
OOC:
OOC: That reminds me. I never rolled a save for Drowned One 10. 1d20=14...And he saves! Thanks ;).

Ongoing damage effect someone at the start of his turn. Save can only be made at the end of your turn, so Drowned One 10 should die even before he can save, no? I see nothing in his stats that allow him a save before the end of his next turn.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC:

Ongoing damage effect someone at the start of his turn. Save can only be made at the end of your turn, so Drowned One 10 should die even before he can save, no? I see nothing in his stats that allow him a save before the end of his next turn.
OOC: DO 10 was given the OG5 condition during his turn, so the damage is not applied until the beginning of his next turn. All saves are normally made at the end of a creature's turn. DO's are no exception to this as far as I know. Right? So the DO saves at the end of his turn before he takes damage at the beginning of his next turn.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
OOC: That reminds me. I never rolled a save for Drowned One 10. 1d20=14...And he saves! Thanks ;).

OOC: I already rolled for it in my actions to save you the trouble, though I suppose you could overrule my roll.

He does get a save because events happened in the following order:

*Drowned One 10 started his turn.
*Drowned One 10 hit Dante.
*Dante's Counterstrike Armor gave him 5 ongoing damage, which you take at the start of his turn, meaning no damage yet.
*At the end of his turn, Drowned One rolls a save against the ongoing damage. If he makes it, it's gone before it can affect him. If he fails, at the start of his next turn, he dies.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Broken bits of disintegrated bodies begin littering the water's surface at the base of The Beacon as the adventurers fend off the first wave of undead beasts that threaten to overrun her.

[sblock=Insight DC 15] As the boats get closer, you notice that the boats have lanterns on their prow, and from their light you can estimate that there are five boats, and multiplying by capacity, subtracting the dead, you estimate that there are about 48 drowned ones left.[sblock=DC 23 on same roll]You notice that the furthest lantern seems to be hanging about 30 feet over the water. You find that odd.[sblock=DC 28 on the same roll]The fifth boat is actually a rather large, frigate-sized vessel.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]The struggle seems pointless though. Just as the first handful of the hideous things plunge to their second death, even more climb The Beacon's hull to take their place. Their cries and threats are deep and guttural.[sblock=History or Dungeoneering DC 20]They are speaking Deep Speech.[/sblock]Max quickly becomes surrounded as an entire team of the creatures scramble up the hull and over the bow.

Auntie Mab manages to dispatch one of the dread things attempting to swim around and flank from behind. She just barely manages to scamper out of sight again as one more pokes its head up over the deck rail.

Draglin and Gloom are not so lucky. Both are hit with bolts of psychic energy that cause their faces to distort with boils much like those on Virgil's skin. Two deckhands flee in terror only to be gutted and thrown overboard by their neighboring undead beasts. Max himself vomits blood a the sight of Gloom's disfigured face, and when Gloom and Draglin, turning toward each other, realize what has happened, they both follow suit.[sblock=Perception or Insight DC 20 (taking 10 is OK)]You notice that a breeze is beginning to blow across the deck.[sblock=DC 27]You notice that the breeze increased in strength when the deckhands died.[/sblock][/sblock]More undead pour over the rail to the south, threatening to flank Dante and Jahred. Both suffer minor wounds from their assailants' attacks.

[sblock=Auntie Mab's Actions]Standard: Gloaming Cut
Target: DO P,-10
Attack: 1d20+16+2(hidden)=32 vs. AC hit and shift to R,-6

Stealth: At +21 they beat a 17 Perception at a roll of -4, so I'm not even going to bother rolling. She's hidden.
[/sblock][sblock=Enemy Actions]N,-9:
Move: Double move to P,-7 deck level

Implicit Stealth Check: Auntie Mab remains hidden until either the end of her next turn, or until she attacks WECF.

M,-2:
Standard: Erie Transfiguration
Target: Gloom
Attack: 1d20+14=32 vs. Will for 11 damage

Secondary Attack:
Target 1: Max
Attack 1: 1d20+14=30 vs. Will Hit
Target 2: Deckhand P,-3
Attack 2: 1d20+14=31 vs. will Hit
Target 3: Draglin
Attack 3: 1d20+14=30 vs. will Hit

H,-5:
Move: Double move to N,-7 deck level

G.-4:
Move: Move to M,-5

Standard: Charge to M,-5 deck level
Target: Max
Attack: 1d20+16+1(Charge)=27 vs. AC for 7 necrotic damage

M,-4:
Move: Shift to N,-5

Standard: Spirit Touch
Attack: 1d20+16+2(Flanking)=19 Miss

N,-3:
Standard: Spirit Touch
Attack: 1d20+16+2(Flanking)=35 vs. AC for 7 necrotic damage

Move: Shift to O,-4

L,0:
Move: to O,-2

Standard: Charge to O,-2 deck level
Target: Gloom
Attack: 1d20+16+1(Charge)+2(Flanking)=33 vs. AC for 7 necrotic damage

N,1:
Move: to N,-3
Standard: Charge to N,-3 deck level
Attack: 1d20+16+1(Charge)+2(Flanking)=27 vs. AC for 7 necrotic damage

O,2:
Move: to P,-1
Standard: Charge to P,-1 deck level
Target: Draglin
Attack: 1d20+16+1(Charge)=18 vs. AC Miss

P,3:
Move: to Q,0
Standard: Charge to Q,0 deck level
Target: Jahred
Attack: 1d20+16+1(Charge)=28 vs. AC for 7 necrotic damage

N,4:
Move: to R,0
Standard: Charge to R,0 deck level
Target: Dante
Attack: 1d20+16+1(Charge)=27 vs. AC for 7 necrotic damage

M,3:
Move: to S,1
Standard: Charge to S,1 deck level
Target: Deckhand S,0
Attack: 1d20+16+1(Charge)=28 vs. AC

M,6:
Move: to P3
Standard: Erie Transformation
Target: Draglin
Attack: 1d20+16=23 vs. Will for 11-4=7 psychic damage
Secondary Attack:
Target 1: Gloom
Attack 1: 1d20+14=29 vs. Will Hit
Target 2: Deckhand Q,-3
Attack 2: 1d20+14=25 vs. Will Hit
Target 3: Virgil
Attack 3: 1d20+14=15 vs. Will Miss
Target 4: Jahred
Attack 4: 1d20+14=21 vs. Will Miss
[/sblock][sblock=Status]Dante R,-1 50/62HP 6/6HS 1AP Slowed(Aura)
Virgil Q,-2 75/86 (Physical features are distorted, no save) Slowed(Arua)
Draglin P,-2 49(48)/88HP 9/9HS 1AP (Physical features are distorted, no save), Dazed & Ongoing 5(Save ends both), Slowed(Aura)
Max N,-4 46(41)/67HP 8/8HS 1AP Dazed & Ongoing 5, Slowed(Aura)
Gloom O,-3 58(53 OG)/81HP 11/11HS 1AP (Physical features are distorted, no save), Dazed & Ongoing 5(Save ends both), Slowed(Aura)
Auntie Mab R,-6 60/60HP 7/7HS 1AP hidden, Slowed(Aura)

Jahred Q,-1 44,51 Slowed(Aura)
Deckhand Overboard Dead
Deckhand Overboard Dead
Deckhand Overboard Dead
Deckhand Overboard Dead
Deckhand Q,-3 Dead
Deckhand R, -1 Slowed(Aura)
Deckhand S,-1 Slowed(Aura)
Deckhand S,0 Dead

Drowned Ones:
Too Numerous to list all:
Drowned One at P,3: Must recharge his Erie Transfiguration
Drowned One at M,-2: Must recharge his Erie Transfiguration

(refer to map)
[/sblock]
OOC: I've provided 3 maps of the same round just so that you can examine coordinates more accurately. This is actually easier htan rehashing them for the DO's in the Status block. Hope they help
[sblock=Maps][sblock=Wide View Map]
ThePortalGuardiansWideMapRound2.png
[/sblock][sblock=Battlemap]
ThePortalGuardiansNarrowMapRound2.png
[/sblock][sblock=Melee Closeup Map]
ThePortalGuardiansMeleeCloseupMapRound2.png
[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Enemy Stats]x28(That you can see)
BigDrownedOne.png
[/sblock][sblock=Concerning NPCs]
The Beacon is running on a light crew. There are 6 men in the hold trying to get oars out and unbeach the ship. While they work, Jahred can only spare 7 more men to fight (3 of whom just died).

Each round, one of you may direct a single action from one NPC that has not yet performed an action during that round (this includes Jahred). This will be done on a first-come-first-serve basis. Ninja'd posts will need to be discussed among the players. [sblock=NPC Stats]
Jahred.png

X4
Deckhand.png
[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Terrain]

• The squares immediately adjacent to the masts (O,-6 to P,-5) are difficult terrain
  • The rails that bound the deck require a DC 30 strength check to break if want to push an enemy overboard from a square on the deck
  • To climb the rails takes 2 squares of movement
  • Falling into the water deals 10 points of damage (20 feet into water)
  • Jumping into the water only deals damage on a failed Athletics/Acrobatics check DC 20
  • Once in the water, you are swimming (PHB rules)
  • You may climb the rigging (PHB climbing), but please specify your elevation at the end of your move.
[/sblock]
OOC: The skill checks that are dispersed throughout the fluff require no action. Please do not ignore them. Information you get there could affect what actions you take next.

I actually counted on this level of complexity, but again, I'm not beyond mistakes. If you see anything glaring, I will retcon to correct it, but if it becomes too cumbersome to correct, I might just ask your forgiveness and permission to move on :-S.

Last edited:

Luinnar

First Post
OOC: @H.M.Gimlord Did the 11 damage Draglin took take into account his 4 DR? :)

Also, skill checks fail.

My face! How will people recognize me a a knight now?!? Draglin cries. Cowards! Have you no shame! I shall smite thee with my blades! he says, smiting the monster on his left, but missing the one on his right.

[sblock=actions]
Standard: Dual Strike, crit O-2, miss P-1, rolls. Both are marked EONT.
save succeeded

None:Command Deckhand S-1 to attack monster R0, 29 vs AC hit.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Draglin Stat Block]
Draglin, Dragonborn Fighter 8
Passive Perception 16, Passive Insight 14
AC 25, Fort 22, Reflex 21, Will 15
HP 40/68 Bloodied 34 Surge Value 17, Surges 9/9
Speed 6, Initiative +8
Action Points: 1

Basic Attack Short Sword; +16, 1d6+13(+14 w/ CA) creature is marked hit or miss, if used because of an OA from movement the creature stops moving (but may take another action to move again).

Combat Challenge: At Will Immediate Interrupt Melee
Trigger: When a marked enemy shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include Sir Draglin.
Effect: Sir Draglin makes a melee basic attack against that enemy

Footwork Lure
Dual Strike

Combat Challenge

Distracting Spate
Battle Fury Stance
Rain of Blows
Kirre's Roar
Dragon Breath
Feral Hide Armor +2
Amulet of Life +1

Bravo
Second Wind
Takedown Strike

Tempest Dance
Rain of Steel
Quick Short Sword +2

Current Effects:+2 to damage, +1 to hit when bloodied.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Dante's chain is a blur, slicing through three of the undead as they scramble onto the deck. With a moment of respite, he looks around grimly at the hordes spilling off the boats and coming towards them.

"These ones fall easily enough, but there are too many to count," he says to no one in particular. "Let us hope whatever is commanding them does not attack once they have worn us down..."

OOC: Quick Action Summary: Killed S1, Q0, P-1. Dante shifted left one and got +1 AC/Ref, Virgil shifted down-right one.
Edit: There was nothing else in reach that was alive, so Ruffling Sting had no valid targets. I changed that to a shift.

[sblock=Actions]Standard: Twin Strike:
*Attack 1: 1d20+15=28 AC vs S1, hit, dead.
*Attack 2: 1d20+15=30 AC vs Q0, hit, dead.
Minor: Off-Hand Strike: 1d20+15=30 AC vs P-1, hit, dead.
Move->Minor: Dante shifts to R-2, Virgil shifts to R-1, Dante gains +1 AC/Ref TenT from Boots of the Fencing Master.
Immediate Interrupt: The next enemy to attack Dante takes Disruptive Strike: +15 vs AC, minions, so dead if it his.
Immediate Actions: *Melee attacks vs Virgil draw an Immediate Reaction MBA from Dante.
Status Effects: +1 AC/Ref

Skills: Insight: 1d20+7=8, Perception: 1d20+14=21, Dungeoneering: 1d20+12(?)=22

? = can't get Dante's sheet to load and not at my comp. I'll fix it later.

[sblock=Statblocks]Dante, Male Human Ranger 9
Passive Perception:22(24), Passive Insight:17
AC:23, Fort:24, Reflex:23, Will:21 -- Speed:6
HP:50/62, Bloodied:31, Surge Value:16, Surges left:6/6
Initiative +7, Action Points:1
Powers: Twin Strike, Throw and Stab, Marauder's Rush, Off-Hand Strike, Disruptive Strike, Ruffling Sting, Takedown Strike, Heroic Effort, Invigorating Stride, Second Wind, Jaws of the Wolf, Snarling Wolf Stance, Attacks on the Run Healing Lore
Items: Boots of the Fencing Master, Ruby Scabbard, Vanous' Combined Awareness, Casque of Tactics, Power Jewel
MBA
: +15 vs. AC, 2d4+11 damage (Crit 2d6+19)
RBA: 5/10 +15 vs. AC, 2d4+9 damage(Crit 2d6+17)
Notes: *OA on any enemy melee attacking Virgil if enemy is in reach 2 of Dante or Virgil adjacent to Dante. *+1 damage with CA. *+2 damage vs bloodied. *+1 AC/Ref on shift. *Draw spiked chain as part of attack. *First enemy hitting Dante takes 5 ongoing damage(save ends). *Gain 5 THP on AP. *Virgil gains 5 THP on Second Wind. *+1 defenses bloodied.

Virgil, Beast Companion(Lizard) 9
Passive Perception:14, Passive Insight:14
AC:23, Fort:20, Reflex:20, Will:18 -- Speed:6
HP:75/86, Bloodied:43, Surge Value:20(25), Surges left:2/2
MBA: +12(+14 if OA) vs. AC, 1d8+4 damage.
Note: Virgil's OA uses Dante's Immediate Reaction.[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
Max fights back. First by swinging his sword at the last foe that hit him. The attack decapitates it, body and head hit the ground at the same time. He then takes a breath in order to refocus, then swings at another, dropping it as well. Max then looks for another. Spotting it
he swings in a chopping motion. The sword splits the drowned one in two. The warlord scans the area looking for more. Come'n Come'n! Who's ready! WHO"S READY!

[sblock=skill checks]
Insight, History and perception checks respectively: Fail, Fail, crit
[/sblock]

While scanning for enemies Max notices something strange. Hey all, everytime a deckhand falls the winds have gotten stronger! What it means I don't know. Stay strong and call out if you need healing

[sblock=action]
immediate interrupt: strikebacks: MBA vs N,-3 AC: 1d20+15=29 killed N,-3
no action: walk it off: 16 no damage and no longer dazed: bringing hp to 62/67
minor: Davros Elden's Hasty resurgence power: heals for 16 (no surge spent)
attack: 1d20+15 vs bma vs foe n,-5: 21 miss: Add +4 from heoric effect power: 25 Hit and kill n-5

AP: BMA 1d20+15 vs foe at m,-5 AC: 1d20+15 +3 (feat bonus) = 32 Kill m,-5
[/sblock]

[sblock=Statblocks]
Max, Male Human Bravura Warlord 9

Passive Perception:17, Passive Insight:16
AC:25, Fort:23, Reflex:22, Will:21 -- Speed: 5
HP:67/67, Bloodied:33, Surge Value:17, Surges left:8/8
Initiative +5, Action Points:USED
Powers:
*At Will Powers:
**Commander's Strike
**Brash Assault
*Encounter Powers:
**Heroic Effort USED
**Inspriing Word 2
**Battefront Shift
**Vengence is Mine USED
**Grit and Spittle
**Second Wind
**Walk it Off USED
**Warlord's Strike
**Lion's Roar
**Armor power
**Strikebacks USED
*Daily Powers:
**Concentrated Attack
**Stand the Fallen
**Denying Mark
**Davros Elden's Hasty resurgence USED
**Shield Power
**Boot Power
**Sword Power

MBA: +15 vs. AC, 1d8+9 damage (Crit +2d8)
[sblock=Notes]*Action Surge Feat: +3 bonus to attack rolls when spending an AP
*Leand Meat Feat +1 bonus to ally attack rolls for any power granted by a warlord power
*Armored Warlord Feat: +1 to amount of healing surges
*Improved Bravura Feat: When an ally uses Max Bravura Presence, that ally gains either a +1 bonus to the attack roll or a +1 bonus to speed for the move action (ally's choice)
*Stubborn Survivor Feat: +2 bonus to all saving throws when Max has no AP.
*Belt of Vigor: +1 bonus to healing surge value
*Bracers of Mighty Strike: +2 Damage bonus when using a basic melee attack
*Circlet of Indomitability: +1 to Will
*Badge of the Berserker: When Max charges he doesn't provoke OA's
[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Spending an AP in the Presence of Max: Please Read]

Battlefront Leader Power

Any ally within three squares of max can shift 1/2 movement speed as a free action.

Bravura Presence

When an ally Max sees spends an action point to take another action to use it as an attack, the ally can choose to take advantage of this feature before the attack roll.

If the ally chooses to do so and the attack hits, then the ally can choose to do the following after the AP action:
* make a basic attack +1 to hit (due to feat: improved bravura)
or
* make a move action as a free action +1 added to ally's speed for movement (due to feat: improved bravura)

If the AP attack misses, the ally grants CA to all enemies TENT.

Clearly worth the risk :)

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases