[Adventure]: The Missing Professor (DM: H.M.Gimlord, Looking for a Judge)

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
The Missing Professor!
Adventure for Levels 6 - 9
Characters:

• Gloom (Velmont): Male Longtooth Shifter Paladin, Level 6
  • Sir Draglin of Draconia (Luinnar): Male Dragonborn Fighter, Level 8
  • Dante (Iron Sky): Male Human Ranger, Level 9
  • Max (dimsdale): Male Human Bravura Warlord, Level 9
  • Auntie Mab (pacdidj): Female Human Rogue, Level 8

I made these rules a long time ago. I'm older and wiser now, but I still think they're good rules ;)
[sblock=Rules and other fine print]

OK. Sit back, get out your legal dictionary and settle in for a good cure to insomnia.... No. Seriously.

:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S:-S

Player Info:
I encourage you to include mini stat blocks in your posts, or at least a link to your character sheet in your signature. Mini-stat blocks allow you to keep track of your own healing surges, power usages, acquired items, etc... without having to ask the DM all the time (Don't worry. I won't be a jerk if you forget).

[sblock=Example mini-stats]
Arkavas - deva artivicer 4

Initiative: +2, Passive perception: 20, Passive Insight: 15

Defenses:
AC: 21, For: 16, Ref: 18, Will: 17

Vitality:
HP: 41, Surges: 4 AP: 1

Languages:
Common, Goblin, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Supernal

Basic Attacks:
Melee: +11 vs AC, 1d12+6
Ranged: +4 vs AC, 1d8

Powers:
Thundering Armor, Magic Weapon
Scouring Weapon, Force Infusion
Caustic Rampart

Weapons:
Staff of Ruin +1, Vengefull Fullblate +1, Repeating Crossbow, Amulet of Protection +1

Healing Infusions 2:
Choose From:
Curative Admixture,
Resistive Formula,

[/sblock]

Passive checks: I will roll passive checks from time to time.

If these checks result in information (i.e.: there are arrow holes in the walls of this corridor, that dragon has one eye open, etc...), I will reveal the information in a spoiler specifically addressed to one or more characters. If you are not one of the intended characters, please do not read these spoilers. The character, however, is welcome to, in character, reveal the contents of the spoiler to the others. I'm not going to police this or anything, but the story goes more like a story, when it's done this way. Please feel free to get into your character with the information you have (or don’t have).

If the passive check results in a turn of events (i.e.: a trap springing, a monster gaining surprise, failure to realize that the guy was lying all the time) the passive roll will be posted at the time that the event happens.

Combat: Malenkirk Rules! I’m taking on too much already to worry about keeping track of initiative and who got hit when. I’ll post monster stats from either the Compendium or the Adventure Tools offered by D&D Insider. Some of the bad guys have been customized for this adventure.

DM Posts during combat will include:

Status of all players, monsters, NPCs etc... indicating Name, Location, HP/MaxHP, State, Healing Surges Left, Action Points left (i.e.:: Arkavas I6 -1/41 Dying HS 0 AP 1)

Map in the form of a grid with Battleship style coordinates

Enemy Mini Stat Blocks
including HP, AC, Fort, Refl, Will, Immunities, Resistance, and Basic Attack. If there are more specialized powers, I will post them at the time of their use.

Time's Up!: I will give players 48 hours to post, at the end of which time I reserve the right to RP the player's character on his behalf. I will use the most appropriate actions and At-Will powers only.

(this is rule created by Velmont, strict adherence to which ensures a good game pace)

Exceptions: If you will be out for a long time and unable to post, please let the party know and assign responsibility to either myself or another, willing player for RPing your character, or I can write in a scenario that takes you out of the picture until your return (The former is preferred).

OK, so I'm a hypocrite, I've been pretty delinquent lately, so I've no moral right to enforce this, but just saying that if, after two days, I do end up moving on, just be assured that I'm going to do so out of fairness for the others, not out of spite toward any individual.

[sblock= What are Malenkirk Rules?]

Named after their inventor Mal Malenkirk

In a nutshell:

• Players roll initiative individually, bad guys roll on initiative roll
  • Players with higher init than bad guys go before bad guys
  • Bad guys go, good guys go, bad guys, good guys, etc...
  • Good guy turns happen in first post - first acted order.
  • Illegal post-overs will be resolved in that round
  • Legal post-overs stand even if each didn't know the other was posting.
[/sblock]

Treasure: I would love for this to be divided up on a finder’s-keepers basis, or by the good will of the party, but doing this can get unfair. I guess we’ll just have to see how this works out. If you don’t have one already, keep a wish list on your character sheet up to date with what you would like, and I’ll try to accommodate within reason.

Die Rolling: Roll your dice on Invisible Castle. If invisible castle is down (and it is down a lot), try Dice Room using your character name and the name of this adventure (title above, punctuation and everything) as the room name. In either case highlight the die roll in your post and use the 'Insert Link' button to post a link to your die rolls.

Out of Character Content:
Post out of character content (i.e.: complaints, tactics, mechanics, etc...) in a spoiler with the letters 'OOC' in the title.

:confused:*Whew!*:confused:

I'm sure I missed something, but we'll handle that as it comes up.

[/sblock] The gulls are crying in the cool of early morning, as Jahred makes preparations to sail back to Avenroc. The gangplank is lowered welcomingly, in hopes that his recruitment efforts last night were not in vain.

One of the deckhands approaches the nervous guard-captain, "Sir, we're ready to cast of on your orders," he leans in a little closer, "You think they're coming?"

"One can only hope Bwarin. One can only hope."
Jahred raises his voice to the first-mate on forecastle, "Hoist the colors and bar the capstans! Soon as we have our men, we'll push off!"

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: Two things that I'm peculiar about:

• I'm a big top-down map buff, so I would prefer that you submit to me a top-down token. If you don't, I reserve the right to exercise my novice DAZ3D skills and create one for you ;).
  • Also, I'm partial to play-acting and role-playing, so you're going to have to forgive me if I get too wordy. Many of my rants are actually my way of hiding interesting gems of info that may give you a mechanical advantage later on in the game.

The important stuff, I will keep track of in a spoiler at the end of my updates.

Luinnar

First Post
Wait! Don't leave without us!Draglin shouts, leaping onto the deck.

Where is everyone?! Don't they know it is morning?! We can't leave without them! If we did they would miss out on the EPIC quest!

But if we can't leave without them that means we have to wait. Draglin mumbles, wringing his hands. He was up all night in anticipation. He hated waiting. True heroes never waited. Either adventure found them, or they found adventure! Or something like that. The tales of old never did say what heroes did when not on adventurers.

[sblock=Draglin Stat Block]
Draglin, Dragonborn Fighter 8
Passive Perception 16, Passive Insight 14
AC 25, Fort 22, Reflex 21, Will 15
HP 68/68 Bloodied 34 Surge Value 17, Surges 9/9
Speed 6, Initiative +8
Action Points: 1

Basic Attack Short Sword; +16, 1d6+13(+14 w/ CA) creature is marked hit or miss, if used because of an OA from movement the creature stops moving (but may take another action to move again).

Combat Challenge: At Will Immediate Interrupt Melee
Trigger: When a marked enemy shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include Sir Draglin.
Effect: Sir Draglin makes a melee basic attack against that enemy

Footwork Lure
Dual Strike

Combat Challenge

Distracting Spate
Battle Fury Stance
Rain of Blows
Kirre's Roar
Dragon Breath
Feral Hide Armor +2
Amulet of Life +1

Bravo
Second Wind

Tempest Dance
Rain of Steel
Quick Short Sword +2

Current Effects:
[/sblock]
[sblock=ooc]
Thanks for the adventure! :)

I won't not know the first place to look for a top-down two weapon icy blue dragonborn.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Dante walks up to the ship and sizes it up as Virgil huffs and puffs to catch up. When the lizard finally gets there, it arches its back and hacks out clouds of oily black smoke for several seconds.

"This one hopes no giant tentacle-fish attack this ship," Dante says, half to himself, half to Virgil.

With that he walks onto the ship, Virgil ambling up behind him.

[sblock=Statblocks]Dante, Male Human Ranger 9
Passive Perception:22, Passive Insight:17
AC:23, Fort:24, Reflex:23, Will:21 -- Speed:6
HP:62/62, Bloodied:31, Surge Value:16, Surges left:6/6
Initiative +7, Action Points:1
Powers: Twin Strike, Throw and Stab, Marauder's Rush, Off-Hand Strike, Disruptive Strike, Ruffling Sting, Heroic Effort, Invigorating Stride, Second Wind, Jaws of the Wolf, Snarling Wolf Stance, Attacks on the Run Healing LoreItems: Boots of the Fencing Master, Ruby Scabbard, Vanous' Combined Awareness, Casque of Tactics, Power Jewel
MBA
: +15 vs. AC, 2d4+11 damage (Crit 2d6+19)
RBA: 5/10 +15 vs. AC, 2d4+9 damage(Crit 2d6+17)
Notes: *OA on any enemy melee attacking Virgil if enemy is n reach 2 of Dante or Virgil adjacent to Dante. *+1 damage with CA. *+2 damage vs bloodied. *+1 AC/Ref on shift. *Draw spiked chain as part of attack. *First enemy hitting Dante takes 5 ongoing damage(save ends). *Gain 5 THP on AP. *Virgil gains 5 THP on Second Wind.

Virgil, Beast Companion(Lizard) 9
Passive Perception:14, Passive Insight:14
AC:23, Fort:20, Reflex:20, Will:18 -- Speed:6
HP:86/86, Bloodied:43, Surge Value:20(25), Surges left:2/2
MBA: +12(+14 if OA) vs. AC, 1d8+4 damage.
Note: Virgil's OA uses Dante's Immediate Reaction.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Gloom walks to the ship. "You said that task may be too grim and dangerous. That is meant for me." He then walk abord the ship.

[SBLOCK=OOC]I am quite sure [MENTION=834]Mal Malenkirk[/MENTION] will be happy to know you use Malenkirk Rules! (And not Malenkirk's Rules)

Also, I've decided to use my DM credit to raise my character to lvl 8, so I'll be in line with the remaining of the team. I'll update Gloom this week.

Also, please note about this thread. Theme will be probably allowed by tomorrow, so I'll include a theme in Gloom too.[/SBLOCK]

Velmont

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]I just found out I have enough DM Credit to raise Gloom to level 10... As it is my favorite character and you were thinking to allow even lvl 10 character, would you mind if I raise it up to 10?[/SBLOCK]

pacdidj

First Post
As Auntie Mab toddles up the gangplank, a brown rat thrashes furiously in her hand, trying to get away while staring at the ship in sheer terror.

"Oh come now Tristram!," the old woman admonishes. "A bit of seasickness is nothing to put up such a fuss about. And, it's not like we're haring off to savage lands hunting bazzlebaums this time. We're just going to look for a professor. Now you just sit tight and be a good boy," she says, stuffing the rodent in her cloak pocket and buttoning the flap down on it.

"Good morning dearies. What a nice day for sailing!," she pipes favoring all assembled with a saccharine smile, and breathing in the sea air as Tristram continues to thrash about in her pocket.

[sblock=statblock]Auntie Mab - Human Rogue 8
PC:Auntie Mab (pacdidj) - L4W Wiki
Conditions: none
Passive Perception: 20, Passive Insight: 20, Init: +9
AC: 23, Fort: 18, Reflex: 24, Will: 21 Speed: 6
HP: 60/60, Bloodied: 30, Surge Value: 15, Surges left: 7/7
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used, Milestones:
:bmelee:Basic Atk: Rebounding Accurate Dagger +16 vs AC, 1d4+4 dmg
:branged:Ranged Basic Atk: Throw Dagger +16 vs AC, 1d4+7 dmg, Range 5/10 (Rebounding) or 10/20 (Distance)
Powers-
Gloaming Cut, Sly Flourish, Fast Hands, Chameleon
Heroic Effort, Eyebite, Evil Eye of the Vistani, King's Castle, Fleeting Spirit Strike, Snap Shot
Blinding Barrage, Bloodbath
Prison of Salzacas, Steadfast Amulet, Rebounding Accurate Dagger
Combat notes: +1 to all defenses vs. traps, +2d8 sneak attack damage 1/round w/ CA, +1 dmg on light blade weapon attacks w/ CA, make basic attack as an immediate reaction when first bloodied 1/encounter, scores critical hits against demons on a roll of 19-20

Tristram - Rat Familiar
HP:
1/1; AC: 23, Fort: 18, Ref: 24, Will: 21
Skills:
+18 Thievery (+20 vs. Locks, +21 vs. Traps), +26 Stealth

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Jahred scrambles down the stairs from the poop deck and bounds over to the gangplank, "Gentlemen, and my lady," he bows his head politely to Auntie Mab, "Thank you for agreeing to come with me back to Rioc Alair." He nods his head toward the ship, "This is The Beacon. She's not too heavily armed, but since we are trying to make time, her design for speed and strength meets the need." Raising an eyebrow, he makes a half-turn, "Now if you'll follow me, I'll show you to your cabins. I can only spare two, so unless you want to hammock with the crew below, Miss Mab will have one cabin, and the men will be sharing the other. Feel free to meet the crew."

Jahred pulls out a silver whistle and blows it in the direction of the forecastle. It's tone is acknowledged by a handsome-looking, blonde-haired fellow on the forecastle (the only one with his shirt on), and Jahred motions for the fellow to join them at the gangplank, "This is Alberent. He's my Ship's Mate and my lieutenant in The Night Watch back at Rioc Alair. He'll be happy to answer any needs you may have while we are at sea." His eye catches something the ship hands are doing, that seems to indicate that they are struggling with one of their tasks, "Now, begging your pardon, I need to get back to making sure we can cast off right away." He bounds back toward the poop deck where the deck hands are struggling with the capstan bars.

"'Sa pleasure."
Alberent continues, "The trip's going to be about seven days." he laughs, "Took us a little longer than that to get here, but we're quick learners," he winks, "We'll make a quicker return, for sure."
OOC: Feel free to ask Alberent anything about the city of Rioc Alair, it's people, it's history, it's politics, or the assignment at hand.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases