"Kobolds, we're being killed by kolbolds?" A small idea about using low CR creatures

I personally think that many DM's decide that after 5th level or so all of the hordes of goblins, kobolds and bugbears that previously plagued the PC's suddenly take a vacation and dissapear from the face of the earth (or whereever). :) This is not only unrealistic, but truly unsatisfying to the PC's for several reasons.

1. Most low CR sapient monsters are not always completely evil, which opens up many oppertunities for roleplaying which may go beyond " I am evil, I'm going to kill you slowly" or " KRUG WANT CRUSH BONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

2. Low CR creatures can very easily have class levels, which opens the way for many interesting encounters (thinks of level 10 bugbear barbarian/ 5th level rogue) *shudders*

3. Creatures that are of little physical strength or of little stature, may be under the sway of stronger beings, which can make combat more interesting than " I'll just ray of frost those kobolds"
or something similar. Also, creatures that are of little strength tend to be quite inventive and malicious which can justify putting very nice traps/minions in your dungeon.

Thanks for listening, if you have any comments or additons, plz post!

Missnox

First Post
small but numerous

I have used the small creatures at all levels of gaming for many reasons

1. a crossbow does the same amount of damage if a weaker creature uses it as a larger one.

2. Magic

3. 1 and 2 can be combined

4. numbers count (especially when using 1 and 2)

5. hire someone to keep them busy while getting off that fireball or setting a trap

6. PCs tend to chase you... right into that trap..

7. 3 goblins with summon swarm....even a large fighter with a strength of 20 can't fight a swarm of wasps...or other annoying insect

8. magic items to enhance abilities

8. and as you say character levels....followers, and other class abilities (lets see..... a 15th level goblin with the leadership feat and a permenant stronghold)

Any creature can be used really if given a fair chance to think....

oh bye the way Kolbolds in our world have gotten tired of being fodder for aspireing adventures and have integrated themselves into many cities....being intelligent beings the have joined churches and provide healing.. work as mages, scribes and other such occupations...It is hard to kill a kobold that is a follower of your faith especially if one of PCs is a cleric or Paladin...imagine giving your confession to a kobold, then imagine the results if you refuse:D

Last edited:

Bihor

First Post
You can give the critter a big friend.
Imagin Meepo whit is 30" dragon.
And is friend could be invisible blocking the arrows.

Or the other way arround, a polymorph deamon running a tribe of goblins, shoing the how to fight.

You can give the small Humaniod some special feats.
Like when they fight in a group of three or four the gaine a substancial bonus for dissarm.

Bob Mackenzie

First Post
Arrow Slits - 90% cover.

Imagine a narrow ravine with 50' cliffs eitherside. Perched precariously at the top of one cliff is a 1 ton bolder. Behind the bolder are three Kobolds with a crowbar.

Kobold sized Tunnels.

Tunnels that Kobolds have to crawl down. M sized creatures can't follow.

The mega-kobold. Not a gaint sized kobold but a thousant of the little buggers. Great you playes with "spread out on the plains are 12 Mega Kobolds" Roll crossbow hits 1dice for a 1000bolts

Cheers

Bob

Jeph

Explorer
Speaking of arrow slits . . .

I once had to have my paladin bash his way through an adamantine halfling war wagon because of those. Long story.

Never be afraid to give monsters class levels. suddenly, 45 kobolds becomes a challenge once again.

Never be afraid to give monsters class levels. Suddenly, a SINGLE kobold becomes a challenge once again.

Never be afraid to give monsters class levels. What, kobolds aren't aloud to form adventuring parties, raid crypts, and kick general ass?

Never be afraid to give monsters large energy weapons. You'll never forget the look on your PC's faces when a kobold pulls out a use-activated wand of fireball, caster level 10th. The Elemental Orb spells (at 15th level) work well with this, too.

Sanackranib

First Post
kobolds

As I recall there was a dumgeon mag. that had an adventure in which the kobold had class levels. I think it was called the 7 Jakks or somthing. of course noboby believes that 7 puney kobolds are responcible for all those problems . . .

Silver Moon

Adventurer
We've had a magic-item around for years, which teleports in a group of angry kobolds. The party has used to great effect, usually to distract enemies. As the Kobolds are not directly under the party's control the group often finds themself the victims of their own devices. I think the time I best enjoyed was when they were going to exit the scenario and the group's mage then got a dagger in her back, loosing the only teleport spell, from one of the little guys who they thought had run away.

astralpwka

www.khanspress.com
Last boost I did for our high level part was send them up against 10 skeletons. 5 had 20 levels of fighter (with sunder, because this makes the players cower for some reason), and the other 5 had 20 levels of sorcerer. I know skeletons aren't supposed to have classes, but it made it very Diablo, :) and gave the players something new and unexpected. Consequently, anymore with my high level campaign, I advance every single creature I use, because my players have the books memorized. They never know how tough of a by-the-book monster will be.

Fade

First Post
Oren said:
I personally think that many DM's decide that after 5th level or so all of the hordes of goblins, kobolds and bugbears that previously plagued the PC's suddenly take a vacation and dissapear from the face of the earth (or whereever). :) This is not only unrealistic, but truly unsatisfying to the PC's for several reasons.

They don't vanish, they just aren't the PC's problem any more. Other low-level groups deal with the minor threats just as the PCs did when they were 1st level, freeing the more powerful group to go after the bigger threats.

Decado

First Post
In my Greyhawk campaign, the land of Geoff is plagued with "Black Orcs." There are Black Orc foot soldiers, archers, sergeants, captains and generals. All the types have been given fighter levels; foot soldiers & archers 2nd level, sergeants 4th level, captains 6th level and generals 10th level.

The foot soldiers and archers were a big challenge when I first introduced them but now my players are high enough level where they mow through them fairly quickly (they killed 40 of the foot soldiers in a single combat in the last game). They also beat 3-4 sergeants and a hill giant in that encounter as well. They have not encoutered any captains or generals. These will be created with as much detail as I would give a reoccuring NPC.

My Black Orcs were inspired by Tolkien's Uruk-Hai. After recently watching the new trailer for TTT I am working on goblin warg (worg) riders. I can't wait to unleash them on my players!

Decado

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases