HM's Dragonlance game converted to Pathfinder - recruiting

Walking Dad

First Post
PS - the Ultimate Magus PrC from 3.5 could help with the setback of being a multiclassed wizard/Sorc. I've heard the name Raistlin mentioned, but he always sounded powerful... not like a guy who gimped himself by taking 2 classes that do the same exact thing but don't stack!
This was entirely the DM's request (I'm the player of Raistlin). We don't use 3.5 material AFAIK, and you should read a bit up on the background of the setting and the characters. There are some good summaries. The Draconians (the characters do not know the name yet) are quite different to dragonborn and half-dragons for example.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Glad you found us dammitbiscuit. I was working on Tas too maybe we can combine ideas.

[sblock=Tasselhoff Burrfoot]
[sblock=Game Info]
Race: Kender (using halfling)
Class: Handler (using rogue)
Level: 6
Alignment: Neutral Good
Languages: Common, Kenderspeak, Hill Dwarf
Deity: all the good ones[/sblock]
[sblock=Abilities]
Code:
STAT   PTS    START  RACE ADJ  LVL ADJ  MAGIC ADJ  TOTAL
STR:   02      12       -2        0         0       10
DEX:   10      16       +2       +1         0       19
CON:   05      14       +0        0         0       14
INT:   03      13       +0        0         0       13
WIS:   00      10       +0        0         0       10
CHA:   05      14       +2        0         0       16
[/sblock]
[sblock=Combat]
HP: 60 = [6d8=48] + 12 (CON) + 00 (favored class)
AC: 17 = 10 + 2 (armor) + 4 (DEX) + 1 (size)
AC Touch: 15 = 10 + 4 (DEX) + 1 (size)
AC Flatfooted: 13 = 10 + 2 (armor) + 1 (size)
INIT: +4 = +4 (DEX)
BAB: +4 = +4 (Rogue)
CMB: +7 = +4 (DEX) + 4 (BAB) - 1 (size)
CMD: 17 = 10 + 0 (STR) + 4 (DEX) + 4 (BAB) - 1 (size)
Fort: +4 = +1 (Rogue) + 2 (CON) + 1 (racial)
Reflex: +9 = +4 (Rogue) + 4 (DEX) + 1 (racial)
Will: +2 = +1 (Rogue) + 0 (WIS) + 1 (racial)
Speed: 20'
Damage Reduction: None
Spell Resistance: None
Spell Failure: 00%[/sblock]
[sblock=Weapon Stat]
Hoopak(melee):
Attack: +6 = +4 (BAB) + 0 (STR) + 2 (magic)
Damage: 1d4+2(B) = +0 (STR) + 2 (magic); CRIT 20x2

Rabbit Slayer(melee):
Attack: +8 = +4 (BAB) + 0 (STR) + 4 (magic)
Damage: 1d3+4(PorS) = +0 (STR) + 4 (magic); CRIT 17-20x2

Hoopak(ranged):
Attack: +09= +4 (BAB) + 4 (DEX) + 2 (magic) - 1 (stone)
Damage = 1d4+2(B) = +0 (STR) + 2 (magic) ; CRIT 20x3, Range: 80 ft.

Rabbit slayer(ranged):
Attack: +12= +4 (BAB) + 4 (DEX) + 4 (magic)
Damage = 1d3+4(P) = +0 (STR) + 4 (magic); CRIT 17-20x2, Range: 10 ft.[/sblock]
[sblock=Racial Traits]
Ability Score Racial Traits: Halflings are nimble and strong-willed, but their small stature makes them weaker than other races. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, and –2 Strength.

Size: Halflings are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their CMB and CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.

Base Speed (Slow Speed): Halflings have a base speed of 20 feet.

Languages: Halflings begin play speaking Common and Halfling. Halflings with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, and Goblin. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.

Fearless: Halflings receive a +2 racial bonus on all saving throws against fear. This bonus stacks with the bonus granted by halfling luck.

Halfling Luck: Halflings receive a +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.

Sure-Footed: Halflings receive a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics and Climb checks.

Weapon Familiarity: Halflings are proficient with slings and treat any weapon with the word “halfling” in its name as a martial weapon.

Keen Senses: Halflings receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.[/sblock]
[sblock=Class Features]
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Rogues are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, and short sword. They are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

Sneak Attack:

If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The rogue's attack deals extra damage (called "precision damage") anytime her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a weapon that deals nonlethal damage (like a sap, whip, or an unarmed strike), a rogue can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual –4 penalty.

The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment.

Trapfinding

A rogue adds 1/2 her level to Perception skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device skill checks (minimum +1). A rogue can use Disable Device to disarm magic traps.
Evasion (Ex)

At 2nd level and higher, a rogue can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Rogue Talents

As a rogue gains experience, she learns a number of talents that aid her and confound her foes. Starting at 2nd level, a rogue gains one rogue talent. She gains an additional rogue talent for every 2 levels of rogue attained after 2nd level. A rogue cannot select an individual talent more than once.

Rogue Talents:

2nd lvl: Trapspotter
4th lvl: Agile Maneuvers
6th lvl: Improved Steal

Advanced Talents

At 10th level, and every two levels thereafter, a rogue can choose one of the following advanced talents in place of a rogue talent.

Trap Sense (Ex)

At 3rd level, a rogue gains an intuitive sense that alerts her to danger from traps, giving her a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses rise to +2 when the rogue reaches 6th level, to +3 when she reaches 9th level, to +4 when she reaches 12th level, to +5 at 15th, and to +6 at 18th level. Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex)

Starting at 4th level, a rogue can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She cannot be caught flat-footed, nor does she lose her Dex bonus to AC if the attacker is invisible. She still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. A rogue with this ability can still lose her Dexterity bonus to AC if an opponent successfully uses the feint action (see Combat) against her.

If a rogue already has uncanny dodge from a different class, she automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.[/sblock]
[sblock=Feats & Traits]
1st lvl: Taunt
3rd lvl: Combat Expertise
5th lvl: Well Prepared

Traits:
a) Poverty Stricken
b) Heirloom Weapon (halfling staff sling) prof with weapon[/sblock]
[sblock=Skills]
Skill Ranks: 60 = [8 (Class) + 1 (INT)] x 6 (LvL) + 6 (favored class bonus)
Max Ranks: 6
ACP: -0

Skills:
() = class skill
^ = trained only
Code:
Total                       Stat Rank CS Misc ACP
+15 = Acrobatics()          +04  +06  +3 +02  -0 DEX
+05 = Appraise()            +01  +01  +3 +00     INT
+12 = Bluff()               +03  +06  +3 +00     CHA
+08 = Climb()               +00  +03  +3 +02  -0 STR
+01 = Craft():_______       +01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+07 = Diplomacy()           +03  +01  +3 +00     CHA
+18 = Disable Device()^     +04  +06  +3 +05  -0 DEX
+07 = Disguise()            +03  +01  +3 +00     CHA
+10 = Escape Artist()       +04  +03  +3 +00  -0 DEX
+04 = Fly                   +04  +00  +0 +00  -0 DEX
+na = Handle Animal^        +03  +00  +0 +00     CHA
+00 = Heal                  +00  +00  +0 +00     WIS
+03 = Intimidate()          +03  +00  +0 +00     CHA
+na = Know:Arcana^          +01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+05 = Know:Duneroneering()^ +01  +01  +3 +00     INT
+na = Know:Engineering^     +01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+02 = Know:Geography^       +01  +01  +0 +00     INT
+05 = Know:History^         +01  +01  +3 +00     INT
+07 = Know:Local()^         +01  +03  +3 +00     INT
+na = Know:Nature^          +01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+na = Know:Nobility^        +01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+na = Know:Planes^          +01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+na = Know:Religion^        +01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+na = Linguistics()^        +01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+11 = Perception()          +00  +06  +3 +02     WIS
+03 = Perform():________    +03  +00  +0 +00     CHA
+na = Profession()^:_______ +00  +00  +0 +00     WIS
+04 = Ride                  +04  +00  +0 +00  -0 DEX
+04 = Sense Motive()        +00  +01  +3 +00     WIS
+na = Sleight of Hand()^    +00  +06  +0 +00  -0 DEX
+na = Spellcraft^           +01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+17 = Stealth()             +04  +06  +3 +04  -0 DEX
+10 = Survival()            +00  +06  +3 +01     WIS
+04 = Swim()                +00  +01  +3 +00  -0 STR
+07 = Use Magic Device()^   +03  +01  +3 +00     CHA
_
[/sblock]
[sblock=Equipment]
Code:
Item                          Cost    Weight
blue leggings                 free      0lb
leather armor                 10gp    7.5lb
hoopak(see below)          priceless  1.5lb
Rabbit Slayer              priceless    1lb
mw thieves tools             100gp      2lb
leather map case               1gp     .5lb
- full of maps                varies    0lb
Shoulder bags x2               2sp      1lb
(treat as normal size sacks)
- contents vary               varies    2lb
Bedroll                        1sp   1.25lb
rope,(hemp 25')                5sp      5lb

total weight carried: 21.75lb

Treasure:
STL - 4
SP - 3
CP - 0
Gems: none
Jewerly: Tanis's ring (though Tas doesn't know he has it)

Magic:
Uncle Trapspringer's Hoopak - +2 halfling staff sling of speed, Special: heirloom weapon with permanent nondetection(CL20)

Carrying Capacity:
Code:
Load        Normal
light:    000.00-024.75 lbs
medium:   025.00-049.50 lbs
heavy:    049.75-075.00 lbs
[/sblock]
[sblock=Details]
Size: Small
Height: 3'-9"
Weight: 85lbs
Hair Color: brown (worn in a tassle)
Eye Color: brown
Skin Color: light, long scar on right elbow
Personality: Tasslehoff's most endearing - and frustrating - characteristic is his insatiable curiosity and fearlessness. These traits often get him into trouble. His curiosity frequently drives him to see what other people have in their pockets and packs (Raistlin, in particular, hates this), and he can easily forget that he has "borrowed" a particular item. He collects odds and ends - he will never pass up a chance to acquire a map of any description - and often surprises himself with what he has in his pockets. He loves legends, songs, and stories, and collects riddles, puzzles, and enigmas as avidly as he collects maps. He has a 5% Legend Lore chance to know something useful on any subject. His map collection is varied and mostly useless. Many of his maps are pre-Cataclysm. He is as likely to collect a map for its beauty as for its usefulness.

Although it is hard to get a kender depressed because of his fearlessness, Tasslehoff is saddened by death and destruction, and can be in awe of anything truly magnificent. His fearlessness does not keep him from being logical about danger, though his curiosity can sometimes overcome his reason. [/sblock]
[sblock=Background]Tasslehoff Burrfoot is a Kender, a diminutive race found throughout the world of Krynn. Like all kender, he left home at the age of 18 because he was stricken by wanderlust, the uncontrollable urge to travel and make the great map of every land. No kender in wanderlust has ever completed the "great map," but most kender have great collections of maps, some useful, most obsolete. Tasslehoff is no exception. Tas's map was especially confused by an unfortunate incident with a magic ring of teleportation that kept transporting him to unknown lands without notice. No one but Tas ever saw the ring - or believed the story, either.

Tasslehoff was born somewhere in northern Ergoth, and is a member of the Stoat clan of kender. His parents traveled in the Haven/Solace region, where they studied the lives of the plainsmen. (What the plainsmen thought of the kender is nowhere recorded.) Tas acquired skills as a "handler" (the word "thief" is considered impolite), and used it extensively to satisfy his curiosity about everything. It was that curiosity that led to him taking a bracelet from Flint Fireforge's stall at a market. Flint was outraged, but Tanis decided he liked the little kender, and so they all became friends. (Flint, although he has never said a nice word about the kender, actually likes him a good deal.) [/sblock]
[sblock=Adventure Notes] None yet[/sblock]
[sblock=Level Ups]
Level 7
Class:
BAB: +0 to +0
Fort: +0 to +0
Ref: +0 to +0
Will: +0 to +0
Feat:
Class Features:
HP: +?? = (1d?? - 2 = ?) + 0 [CON] + ?? (Old Total) = ?? (new total)
Skill Ranks: +?? = +?? (Class) + 0 (misc) + ?? (Old Total) = ?? (new total)
Skills:
Favored Class Bonus:[/sblock][/sblock]

Had to play Rasitlin down as having fireballs in this adventure would make it a walk in the park. ;)

It also fit his story.

HM

dammitbiscuit

First Post
Glad you found us dammitbiscuit. I was working on Tas too maybe we can combine ideas.
Cool! You located some apropos stuff for Tas that I'd missed. Let's combine indeed!

[sblock=My thoughts, a bit long, be warned!]
Ability Scores
I like mine a little better, but it's not a big deal either way. The sticking point for me is the Charisma - it's so bog-standard for a halfling to have the "gift of gab" and be able to effortlessly charm his way out of problems. Truer to Tass's original ability scores, it might be fun to play a halfling who isn't naturally gifted, a guy who, while a decent talker, is such an odd duck that people don't naturally find him charismatic and likeable - they have to spend some time with him first.

Combat Stats
They exist, they're boring... I am ecstatic that someone else took the time to write them all out! :)

Racial Traits
We're literally not getting anything useful out of weapon familiarity - heirloom weapon has to be used instead, so can we trade this feature out for something else? D20pfsrd doesn't show any way to trade out this particular racial feature, unlike other races' weap thingies. However some of the existing racial feature tradey thingies are VERY kender-appropriate, if you'd be willing to swap one in for Weapon Familiarity.

Class Features
Cutpurse (archetype) and Improved Steal would be redundant, and Cutpurse is a bit more likely to see use thanks to action economy. Small creatures have CMB issues and neither of my weapons is specialized for combat maneuvers, so I don't think I'll get much use out of Agile Maneuvers. You're the DM, so if you think I might need Trapspotter you're probably right!

I really, really, really, really like Fast Getaway + Cutpurse - stab, grab, fleeeeee! An entertaining change of pace, as far as turns go.

Feats and Traits
Taunt! Omg, yes. Cool. I was looking for something like this, but missed it.

Combat Expertise is one of those many boring prereq feats you have to get out of the way to get access to something interesting. I believe I had Dodge and Weapon Focus instead. I'm ambivalent - they're all boring, and they all potentially lead to something more interesting later on. Many of the things that Combat Expertise leads to, however, I can grab as rogue talents without having to fulfill prereqs.

Well Prepared - I'd find it slightly more interesting/challenging to fill my pockets with an array of useful items myself, than get it from a feat. Saying "yep, I've got one of those" is more impressive when you acquired it yourself. ;) That said, this is a neat feat. I'd rather have one of the other ones from the feat list I made, but I'm ok with this one.

Traits
Poverty Stricken - haha, we both thought Survival and poverty suits Tas! High five.
Heirloom Weapon - stylish way to get hoopak prof!

Skills
Code block text is painful to read, but I liked the skills I picked and somewhat based them on 1e Tas's nonweapon proficiencies and thief skills. If you have a preference/reason to use yours, that's fine, I just know I like mine.

Equipment
I know I'm eventually going to want a lot more mundane equipment than this, along with a masterwork backpack or Handy Haversack. This works just fine for starters (and a for a low carry capacity) though!

"of speed" ...zomg! Sweeeet!

Fluffy Backgroundy Stuff
Yep, Tasslefoot has a pretty deep personality, despite being an otherwise typical thieving Small sized D&D character - and I've heard he's the iconic originator of the stereotype, to boot. I'm looking forward to it![/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
My thoughts are in orange.

[sblock=My thoughts, a bit long, be warned!]
Ability Scores
I like mine a little better, but it's not a big deal either way. The sticking point for me is the Charisma - it's so bog-standard for a halfling to have the "gift of gab" and be able to effortlessly charm his way out of problems. Truer to Tass's original ability scores, it might be fun to play a halfling who isn't naturally gifted, a guy who, while a decent talker, is such an odd duck that people don't naturally find him charismatic and likeable - they have to spend some time with him first.

People don't find kenders charismatic they regard them as a nuisance. I hope you have time to read the books you'll see that Tas is the arch type for being "able to effortlessly charm his way out of problems" but that isn't the only reason I went with a high CHA. (You did notice his low Diplomacy right?)

- Bluff (for use with Feint) and Use Magic Device

But also because cause Tas's curiosity and small stature mean STR and WIS were my dump stats of choice.

Combat Stats
They exist, they're boring... I am ecstatic that someone else took the time to write them all out! :)

Your welcome

Racial Traits
We're literally not getting anything useful out of weapon familiarity - heirloom weapon has to be used instead, so can we trade this feature out for something else? D20pfsrd doesn't show any way to trade out this particular racial feature, unlike other races' weap thingies. However some of the existing racial feature tradey thingies are VERY kender-appropriate, if you'd be willing to swap one in for Weapon Familiarity.

Sorry I don't wish to open that can of worms. Everyone race (save human) have an unused/little used trait. If you want you can dip into another class and get all martial weapon prof. and then you'd be set. :p

Class Features
Cutpurse (archetype) and Improved Steal would be redundant, and Cutpurse is a bit more likely to see use thanks to action economy. Small creatures have CMB issues and neither of my weapons is specialized for combat maneuvers, so I don't think I'll get much use out of Agile Maneuvers. You're the DM, so if you think I might need Trapspotter you're probably right!

I really, really, really, really like Fast Getaway + Cutpurse - stab, grab, fleeeeee! An entertaining change of pace, as far as turns go.

Well if you take Cutpurse than there is no reason for trapspotter, as you won't have trapfinding. Unless... hmm would that work? You'd get your martial weapons and could take Cutpurse as well.(*see below)

I like Fast Getaway too. But Tas would not stab, grab and go. You need not roll at all. A kender walks through a full barroom and out the back door all the player has to do is ask, What's new in my pockets? I was trying to set him up this way.

Agile Maneuvers was to help with Improved Steal. And Improved Steal was so you wouldn't have to stab big mean monsters all the time. I had a picture of Tas stealing a spell component pouch off a wizard, or a sword from a guard. There are other things too, wands tucked in belts, scroll cases, belt pouches that could contain potions, holy symbols?!?

Think on it.

Feats and Traits
Taunt! Omg, yes. Cool. I was looking for something like this, but missed it.

That's the other reason for the high CHA. Knew there was something else.

Combat Expertise is one of those many boring prereq feats you have to get out of the way to get access to something interesting. I believe I had Dodge and Weapon Focus instead. I'm ambivalent - they're all boring, and they all potentially lead to something more interesting later on. Many of the things that Combat Expertise leads to, however, I can grab as rogue talents without having to fulfill prereqs.

I missed you can get Improved Steal as a talent without the prereq. It and Improved Feint were the only reason for this feat.

Well Prepared - I'd find it slightly more interesting/challenging to fill my pockets with an array of useful items myself, than get it from a feat. Saying "yep, I've got one of those" is more impressive when you acquired it yourself. ;) That said, this is a neat feat. I'd rather have one of the other ones from the feat list I made, but I'm ok with this one.

Your feat list is pretty martial in it's selection. Point Blank Shot, Weapon Finesse, etc. but like Flint these aren't needed as you should look into the support or out of combat roles.

Traits
Poverty Stricken - haha, we both thought Survival and poverty suits Tas! High five.
Heirloom Weapon - stylish way to get hoopak prof!

*Have a way to get both and not cost to much. Take one level of Ranger(guide/trapper). You get martial weapons (and thus the staff sling), Survival as a class skill, and trapfinding which you lose as a Cutpurse. You would only lose one talent, 2skill points, and gain 2HP, track, ranger focus, wild empathy(another use for high CHA) to boot.

Think on that as well.

Skills
Code block text is painful to read, but I liked the skills I picked and somewhat based them on 1e Tas's nonweapon proficiencies and thief skills. If you have a preference/reason to use yours, that's fine, I just know I like mine.

They are close to the same so I'm fine with keeping your ranks as is.

Equipment
I know I'm eventually going to want a lot more mundane equipment than this, along with a masterwork backpack or Handy Haversack. This works just fine for starters (and a for a low carry capacity) though!

"of speed" ...zomg! Sweeeet!

Sorry everyone started off poor.

Fluffy Backgroundy Stuff
Yep, Tasslefoot has a pretty deep personality, despite being an otherwise typical thieving Small sized D&D character - and I've heard he's the iconic originator of the stereotype, to boot. I'm looking forward to it!

Again I hope you get to a chance to read the first book of the Chronicles series. The personality and background are from DL5 Dragons of Mystery the 1e accessory to the modules.[/sblock]

HM

Disposable Hero

First Post
I think I'm going to read these books again. War of the Lance, Dragonlance Legends, and War of Souls.

Tas is a huge pain in the ass but a great character. One that should be fun to play. He's good friends with Flint Fireforge, my character, and causes TONS of trouble. Good fun.

dammitbiscuit

First Post
Alright, per the recommendations I checked that out from the library today and will devour it tonight or tomorrow. I limit my access to fiction because it becomes the only thing I'm interested in doing until the book is finished, but I have time to spare this month.
edit: deleted rant :(
Don't hate me because I annoy you, hate me because I'm beautiful! :)

dammitbiscuit

First Post
Unrelatedly, I am weirded out to discover my library carries manga / comic book type things, gaming ones no less. Fortunately, there were a few real books, too.

Starting on The Day of the Tempest in 3, 2, 1...

dammitbiscuit

First Post
Ok actually... The Day of the Tempest was really boring. It made me yearn for a Planescape, Dark Sun, or Eberron book instead. Evil dragons! Snore! Worthy as an opponent, not worthy as the focus of a whole dang book.

I'll place a hold on book 1 of Chronicles - it's checked out right now, but hopefully I'll enjoy it more than Day of Tempest when I get my hands on it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases