[Adventure]: The Bane of the Black Dragon (DM: Dimsdale, Judge ??)

dimsdale

First Post
ooc: I'm waiting for Drew's plan of action. There will be some risk involved. I'll decide what the risk is once I hear his plan. If he successfully pulls it off there will be no battle. If not, we'll role initiative.

OOC: Didn't realize you're waiting on me.

[sblock=Plan of attack]
The plan is simple and depends on whether I have backup or not.

With backup:
What I would LIKE to do is surprise the opponent and putting a bag with a string over it's head and holding the string taut so the oppoenent is blinded and effectively muted. The problem with this is Drew's strength (10) therefore the need for backup.

If no backup, but you rule favorably that bag thing (by favorably I mean "I get one sure round of muting the opponent without strength rolls" - maybe to count it like a grab with blinding? :), I'm going for it in surprise round. Also, the bag may be made with simple twist-lock to hold it taut once set without the need of Drew holding it, leaving him free to attack.

IF the bag thing doesn't seem likely to work:
Since there is no chance of instant death/KO per current rules, I'll go with most damaging attacks, counting on CA from surprise round and gaining the initiative, while sliding the opponent away from its allies.

These would Crane's Wings (1d10+6+6) in surprise round, coming in from the side, sliding it with Flurry of blows before pushing away and then in normal round Eternal Mountain (2d8+6+6), knocking it prone. - total 38,5 average.

ALL DAMAGE WOULD BE NON-LETHAL
[/sblock]

Someone

Adventurer
ooc: I'm waiting for Drew's plan of action. There will be some risk involved. I'll decide what the risk is once I hear his plan. If he successfully pulls it off there will be no battle. If not, we'll role initiative.

OOC: Now that I'm thinking, I had the idea at first that we were going with mostly normal combat rules - sneak on the sniper, and if we dealt with him with non lethal damage before it's his turn, he had no chance of sounding the alarm. But now I'm not sure if you'll deal with it with combat rules, a skill challenge, or something in between, or if that depends on our actions.

I'm thinking now that a skill challenge with Diplomacy/bluff (for Sharpe), stealth and Strength/Grab checks/Arcana (for Vermitrax's) magic tricks for the rest of us could be fun too

Luinnar

First Post
OOC: Sharpe's dragon could pick up the sniper and fly off with it and drop it from great heights in the middle of the camp, that would be fun! (the dragon has +11 to stealth too!)

That would provide a great synergy to an intimidate check methinks ;)

dimsdale

First Post
OOC:
Ok, here is how will work this.

Option 1

If Drew goes solo...

Drew automatically gets an attack do to surprise. I'll make the attack an automatic hit. Drew has to roll the damage for the hit.
Drew then rolls initiative against the sniper at +3 to the initiative bonuses that he already has. If the blow meets or exceeds 25 hp, the sniper is down. If not...

After surprise attack, if Drew wins initiative round he gets another attack. Drew must knock the foe unconscious with this blow or the sniper will warn the others. In order to knock the foe unconscious, the total damage from the surprise attack and the initiative attack must meet or exceed 25 hp.

If Drew doesn't win initiative, then the sniper will warn the others.

Option 2

If Drew takes a party member with him...

The party member must make a steal check of 15 or higher. If the ally has a passive check greater than 1This check must be rolled. If the roll fails, the goblins sense your presence and initiative round begins. However, if Sharpe creates a distraction by flying the dragon around the stealth check is not required because all of the goblin types will be focusses on the bard insulting them from his mighty dragon. If the two allies don't finish the sniper off during the surprise round then there is a chance that you may be attacked with ranged weapons.

If the party member succeeds with skill check then Drew and the party member can get a automatic hit with the surprise round. If the combined attack knocks the foe unconscious, then they can carry him back to the rest of the party for interrogation.

If the foe is not unconscious, roll initiative and will go from there. If one or two allies get an attack in before the sniper goes and meet or exceeds the foe's hp, the sniper is down.

If the foe gets an attack before loosing all hp, he'll warn his buddies and a battle ensues.

So...Drew, do you go solo or take a party member with you. Your call.

Finally, if successful, a skill challenge will take place "Gain any information you can from the sniper"
If not successful, have weapons ready as they will not be happy.

Last edited:

"Don't do anything before my signal. If I succeed we can interrogate the goblin without others knowing anything. Be ready, but quiet."

With that, young monk slinks into the forest.

[sblock=Actions]
Drew attacks from V17
So: initial damage: 9 +6, GS is first slid to W18 then pushed to V20 - Drew gains +1 AC & Ref

Init: 26 - I assume I win

Do I get CA? I didn't account for it in any of the rolls.

BUT THEN BAD TIME TO ROLL NAT 1 - USING OTHER RESOURCES AT YOUR DISCRETION [MENTION=79956]dimsdale[/MENTION] - feel free do disallow any and all of this :(
Crane's Wings damage; Initiative; Eternal Mountain vs Fort; damage (1d10+6=9, 1d20+6+3=26, 1d20+7=8, 2d8+6=20)

OR 2; D*MN IT!
Rain of Hammers Free At-Will: Crane's Wings vs Fortitude; damage (1d20+7=9, 1d10+6=10)

AP: Crane's Wings vs Fort; damage (1d20+7=15, 1d10+6=11) - if this hits: +6 from Flurry of blows for
grand total of 17+15 = 32.
[/sblock]

I'll wait with the rest of the description when dism judges the rest of Drews actions. What kind of a lame striker cannot deal 25 damage in a round?!

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
"Don't do anything before my signal. If I succeed we can interrogate the goblin without others knowing anything. Be ready, but quiet."

With that, young monk slinks into the forest.

[sblock=Actions]
Drew attacks from V17
So: initial damage: 9 +6, GS is first slid to W18 then pushed to V20 - Drew gains +1 AC & Ref

Init: 26 - I assume I win

Do I get CA? I didn't account for it in any of the rolls.

BUT THEN BAD TIME TO ROLL NAT 1 - USING OTHER RESOURCES AT YOUR DISCRETION @dimsdale - feel free do disallow any and all of this :(
Crane's Wings damage; Initiative; Eternal Mountain vs Fort; damage (1d10+6=9, 1d20+6+3=26, 1d20+7=8, 2d8+6=20)

OR 2; D*MN IT!
Rain of Hammers Free At-Will: Crane's Wings vs Fortitude; damage (1d20+7=9, 1d10+6=10)

AP: Crane's Wings vs Fort; damage (1d20+7=15, 1d10+6=11) - if this hits: +6 from Flurry of blows for
grand total of 17+15 = 32.
[/sblock]

I'll wait with the rest of the description when dism judges the rest of Drews actions. What kind of a lame striker cannot deal 25 damage in a round?!

OOC: Ouch with the attack rolls. I have the monster stats on my computer at work. I'll be able to access it later on tonight. CA was only granted to the surprise round. The question is...Does the sniper have a fortitude of 15 or below? Stay tuned :)

dimsdale

First Post
The monk sneaks up to the goblin sniper and attacks, catching the sniper totally by surprise, inflicting a minor wound. As the goblin tries to focus, dropping his bow and reaching for his sword, the monk attacks again, but trips over a branch, missing badly. The goblin, still in a haze, tries to grip his sword but momentarily looses his grip, giving an opening for another attack, which again misses. Frustrated by his attacks the monk's mood becomes worse as the goblin now chooses a different tactic, as he takes in a deep breath with the intent of yelling to his comrades for help. Just as the goblin is about to yell the monk in a last second desperate effort manages to connect with a solid blow causing the sniper to collapse instantly to the ground, alive but unconscious.

ooc: Whew! that was close :)

As the monk slowly and methodically moves the goblin back towards the group, the rest of the goblin type hoard finishes up their business with creating a head totem (a large collection of heads skewered on to a large stake sticking straight out of the ground, supported by a heap of goblin body parts. The whole scene is quite gruesome). As the last goblin leaves to the northwest out of sight, drew pulls the limp body of the sniper in front of the group.

ooc: success in kidnapping the goblin sniper and goblin hoard encounter avoided!

Current state of goblin: unconscious. What does everyone do now?

[sblock=MetaVoid]
please tell me that Drew had not taken an AP during the fight with the dragon and shambling mound. I was too tired to look. :)
[/sblock]

OOC: If I did, I didn't record it. Just in case, I went back and checked so definitely: no, I didn't use it. Does this count as an encounter? For gaining APs I mean, not XP?

Someone

Adventurer
When Drew appears, Prime helps carrying the unconscious goblin.

+++Let's move away from here, quickly+++

+++the rest of the goblins are done+++

+++It won't be long before they notice this one is missing+++

+++Sharpe will find us from the air+++

OOC: Wasn't Sharpe supposed to distract the goblins? I was looking forward to read his antics

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases