Merric's Erratically Updated Reviews of old D&D adventures

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
cited by MerricB in disapproval said:
"The god usually appears in lich form, and no undead is able to resist his commands. At any given time, he can instantly summon 20-200 skeletons, 10-100 ghouls, 6-36 wights, and 2-5 spectres. He can be summoned only after at least 50 live human sacrifices have been given the god in worship. The god demands these lives during the dark of the moon and requires them from the ranks of his worshippers.

"In battle, touching his body with anything causes the toucher to make a saving throw versus death. The god will usually attack with spells when personally in attle, but if enemies dare touch him, he will draw out a red jade rod that acts as a hammer of thunderbolts as per the DUNGEON MASTERS GUIDE."

Thats AWESOME.

;)

Thanks for doing these.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I'm really enjoying your reviews, [MENTION=3586]MerricB[/MENTION], but I am wondering when you will change your title from Official ENWorld Optimist to Official ENWorld Cynic? ;)

Not a problem! The DDG review was interesting. There's such a disconnect between how cool the gods are if you consider them monsters, and how horrible the descriptions are for actually using them as gods. :(
(snip)

So very true.

Even in 3E with FR's Faiths & Pantheons I found that the the free PDF web enhancements had more useful content for actual games than the hardcover book itself (because, after all, how many games really use fully statted deities?). I think the 2E books for FR - Faiths & Avatars, Demihuman Deities and (I forget the third one) - did a much better job of providing useful information (which is why I still use them even in 4E).

One of the things that attracted me to the original Old Grey Box for the Forgotten Realms was, unlike the Greyhawk boxed set, the deities had no stats.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm really enjoying your reviews, [MENTION=3586]MerricB[/MENTION], but I am wondering when you will change your title from Official ENWorld Optimist to Official ENWorld Cynic? ;)

I'm optimistic for the future. :) I can be as depressed about the past as anyone!

One of the things that attracted me to the original Old Grey Box for the Forgotten Realms was, unlike the Greyhawk boxed set, the deities had no stats.

At least some of the Greyhawk gods gave special powers to their clerics. But I did enjoy the Realms take on gods a lot.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I've always LOVED this adventure. In fact, I designed a whole town for it in my campaign world, and various PCs have cleared that house in at least 3 different adventures... it's amazing how the smugglers keep coming back!

But I never much liked the follow-up modules.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases