[Adventure] Rhapsody Part 2 (Judge: renau1g)

FourMonos

First Post
"Right, well I would love to comply with your request my stalwart guardian, but I have put myself in something of a... predicament."

Nyar is clearly struggling with maintaining his spells to maximal effect. The fireball comes shooting out of the cloud to suspend itself near one of the ice zombies.

"Baern, my good dwarf, can you see to where exactly did our host run off?"

[sblock=actions]
Start: Heal 12 hit points (surge plus 2), thanks Luinnar!

Minor: Sustain Flaming Sphere

Minor: Sustain Stinking Cloud The cloud blocks line of sight to people inside and creatures entering or starting their turn there take 1d10+6 additional damage.

Movement: More Flaming Sphere to square N-14 one square up. Zombie 2 will take 1d4+6 plus vulnerability at start of its turn. (I wanted to put it in N-13 but that would have hit Cairn)
[/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]
Nyar Harbor, Level 6 Wizard
Init: +6 Speed: 6 Perception:14 Insight: 19
AC: 18 NAD: F: 14 R:19 W:17 (+2 vs. Illusion Attacks/Perception)
HP: 21/41 Surges: 2/6 Surge Value: 10 AP: 0
Languages: Common, Primordial
Str:8 Dex:16 Wis:12 Con:11 Int:20 Cha:10

Powers:
At-Will: Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Phantasmal Assault, Storm Pillar, Scorching Burst
Encounter: Empowering Lightning, Fire Shroud, Second Wind, Wand of Accuracy, Shield, Dispel Magic
Daily: Bracers of Escape, Stinking Cloud, Flaming Sphere
Item: Potion of Healing x1
Full Character Sheet: http://leb.wikia.com/wiki/LEB:pC:Nyar_Harbor_(FourMonos)#Summary [/sblock]

OOC: I feel like saying, Man what I wouldnt give for a sustaining cloak right about now. Which of course made me think of the scene from Princess Bride where Wesley makes a similar comment about a Holocaust cloak...

OOC: Interrupt: Nyar will use Shield if appropriate if attacked and the bonus would make the attack miss

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
johnmeier, use InvisibleCastle, it's better at showing various bonuses to hit and damage, ENWorlds asks for single numbers (if they didn't change that since I last used it)...and may be merciful to you to get few good hits...or you can keep using this one and count on the fickleness of luck to get a good streak :D

drothgery

First Post
johnmeier, use InvisibleCastle, it's better at showing various bonuses to hit and damage, ENWorlds asks for single numbers (if they didn't change that since I last used it)...and may be merciful to you to get few good hits...or you can keep using this one and count on the fickleness of luck to get a good streak :D
OOC: Yeah, I'm pretty much rolling on InvisibleCastle unless the DM of a game explicitly asks me not to. ENWorld's roller is a little more secure, but it's clunky (you have add a roll after your post, which often means you have post-roll-edit to describe the effects of the dice, multiple rolls take up a lot of space except in the compressed view which looks terrible, and it's slow).

Luinnar

First Post
OOC: The Humans are all on the catwalks (with the exception of the Leader who may or may not be on the catwalks, the PCs do not know). Christina and Pooh cannot attack Human 1 from the ground with melee attacks.
OOC: Sorry about that, looks like I messed up the AP attack again :(

I edited my post, I'll just save the AP until next round. So just the 2 heals and the Pooh summon for Christina this round.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Narvala rolls back, drinks a healing potion, and stands up, leaning on her staff. She activates a sunrod, then drops it on the floor. And then speaks a word of power, blasting the undead creatures near her. "I do not think it is time for me to join with the Flame just yet." She said.

Using Narvala's tactics as a good distruction, Cairn moves back occupying again two zombies he engaged earlier. Ghalad'Zar comes wide and cold blue wines erupt from it, pulling the zombie closer even as they cut into its dead flesh.

Holy blade shines with inner radiance as the floor around Cairn becomes difficult to navigate for his enemies.

Rumbling starts deep within his chest as he's torn between holding the zombies away from his allies. It finally comes out as understandable words:
"Nyar, get back from there! Come closer! Christina, you too. Help Baern, get the humans!"

Oh oh! Looks like the talkie man is causing trouble! Christina says. Get up you two! sheshouts to Nyar and Narvala, who feel magical energy revitalizing their bodies.

Baern draws his handaxe and looks at the near human. I got this one Cairn. He tosses he axe down at a wounded zombie and then moves in with Claw towards the human. He clangs the large waraxe uncomfortably against the siderail.

"Right, well I would love to comply with your request my stalwart guardian, but I have put myself in something of a... predicament."

Nyar is clearly struggling with maintaining his spells to maximal effect. The fireball comes shooting out of the cloud to suspend itself near one of the ice zombies.

"Baern, my good dwarf, can you see to where exactly did our host run off?"

With Nyar's attention distracted with controlling two spells, his Flaming Sphere sizzles out as he attempts to move it too far away.

Human 1 avoids Baern's clumsy attack, steps back, follows orders, and slams Nyar's chest with a sling bullet. The other two humans move onto the upper crates to get a better shot at Cairn. He becomes a clearer target as they throw sling bullets at him, but only one hits him in the arm.

Detecting fresh meat, Zombie 1 charges Nyar and hits his waist with a claw. The bitter cold freezes Nyar in place and a chill runs deep through his bones. Zombie 2 slashes Cairn across the face, but although Cairn is frozen in place, the cold does not affect him as greatly. Zombie 4 misses Cairn.

The Leader reappears on the catwalk and moves over atop some crates. "Ha. You are about to fall just like your caster, golem." Dark necrotic energy flies out of his hand, striking Cairn in the neck and draining the life out of his stone body.

[sblock=OOC]
Note: If you cannot see the maps well, you can look at an earlier map to see where the crates are and what color they are.

Note: PCs except for Baern are still down below the catwalk. If your PC is shown as on top of the catwalk on the map, s/he is really below the catwalk until you get up there.

Narvala hits Zombie 1 and Zombie 4 for 27 radiant damage.

Note: Holy Gauntlets have to be declared before seeing if the attack hits or not. Since you didn't declare them in the attack and the IC post number of them comes up after the IC post number of the attack, you didn't use them first. You can use them (or not) this last round as you posted, let me know, but if you do, the damage from them does not apply until your next divine attack.

Cairn takes 5 - 5 = 0 damage for entering the aura. Cairn hits Zombie 2 for 9. Cairn takes 10 - 5 = 5 cold damage for entering the second aura on his turn.

Note: Since you didn't tell me where you pulled Z2, I will move it to M13.

Christina summons Pooh and heals people.

Baern hits Zombie 1 for 3. Baern misses Human 1.

Nyar moves his Flaming Sphere to N14, but the maximum range is 10, so it ends.

Human 1 shift back and hits Nyar for 7.

14 vs. Reflex hits for 7.

Note: I did not use Nyar's Shield spell since the attack would have still hit. :(

Human 2 misses Cairn. Human 4 hits Cairn for 7.

4 vs. Reflex misses, 12 vs. Reflex hits for 7.

Three lowest damage rolls in a row, but 2 hits out of 3. IC strikes with weirdness again.

Zombie 1 hits Nyar for 6 cold damage.

11 hits for 6 cold damage.

Note: I didn't use the Shield spell this time either since the attack would still hit. :(

Zombie 2 hits Cairn for 9 - 5 = 4 damage. Zombie 4 misses Cairn.

19 hits for 9 damage. 8 misses.

Leader hits Cairn for 9 necrotic damage.

14 vs. Reflex hits for 9 necrotic damage.

8/41 Nyar, bloodied, immobilized UENT Z1, 5 ongoing cold damage (save ends) (on yellow crate up 1)
39/84 Cairn, bloodied, resist cold 5 and 2 squares around Cairn are difficult terrain for the enemies, immobilized UENT Z2, 5 ongoing cold damage (save ends)
29/45 Christina
11/22 Pooh, bloodied
12/12 Rabberta
Human 1 (on catwalk up 4)
Human 2 (on green crates up 3)
12 Human 4 (on green crates up 3)
35 Zombie 1 (aura 1), dazed UENT Narvala
46 Zombie 2 (aura 1), bloodied, marked UENT Cairn
27 Zombie 4 (aura 1), dazed UENT Narvala, marked UENT Cairn
44 Leader, (on red crates up 2)
36/50 Narvala
39/62 Baern

Stinking Cloud (2 squares up), green square

Special note: if a PC enters a Zombie Aura, s/he will take damage as if starting in the aura (5 in one aura, 10 in two auras, etc.).

Nyar and Cairn take 5 cold damage in the aura(s) at the start of their turns and Nyar takes 5 ongoing cold damage.

It's the PC's turn.

Ceiling: The ceiling is 35 feet overhead.

Catwalks: These metallic walkways, standing 20 feet above the floor, aid in the movement and placement of crates. A sequence of chains and pulleys runs across the underside of the catwalks. This enables a character to climb, hand-over-hand, along the underside of these catwalks with a DC 20 Acrobatics or Athletics check, at normal climbing speed. Except where the ladders stand, the catwalk has a railing all the way around. Anyone wishing to deliberately climb or leap over the railing must spend an extra square of movement to do so, and any push, pull, or slide effect that would drag a creature over that railing must also spend an extra square to do so.

Crates: Each individual crate is roughly 5 feet (1 square) high, but they are often stacked two or three crates (that is, 10 or 15 feet, or 2 or 3 squares) in height, as marked on the map. Stepping up on a single crate requires an extra square of movement, while moving down a single crate does not cost any additional movement. Climbing two or three crates requires a DC 18 Athletics check. So, climbing from a height of zero to one crate to two crates to three crates is two squares for the first, two for the second and two for the third without a check. But climbing straight up two crates is an Athletics check.

Ladders: The ladders are all 20 feet (4 squares) in height, but count as 8 squares of movement. A DC 12 Acrobatics or Athletics check allows a character to climb them at the normal 4 squares of movement if the player declares as part of the comment on Invisible Castle that s/he is doing a fast climb.

Stairs: The stairs to the south count as difficult terrain.

The yellow crates are one square high.
The red crates are two squares high.
The green crates are three squares high.

Entire room except columns 27, 28, and 29 are fully lit up.
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Encounter 5j.jpg
    Encounter 5j.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Lady priest, can you move me toward the leader, just a bit?" rumbles Cairn

OOC: [MENTION=360]drothgery[/MENTION], [MENTION=88601]FourMonos[/MENTION], [MENTION=44459]Luinnar[/MENTION], 1 square is all that is needed (N13) so I get within 2 of the leader. I have burst 2 power which will (among other things) give the regeneration 5 to Cairn or adjacent ally for the encounter...

Also, if you're within 10 of Cairn and miss AC, but hit Ref and you think it important, use

[sblock=Guided Strike]
Close burst 10 Trigger: An ally withing 10 squares misses with an attack against AC.
Target: The triggering ally in the burst.
Effect: Target's attack is made against Reflex instead of AC
[/sblock]

Last edited:

FourMonos

First Post
"Oh that's cold. Narvala, can you spare an old man some space?"

OOC: If Nyar takes his turn, he's going unconscious, can anyone knock the zombie back please?

drothgery

First Post
OOC: Narvala can't move the zombie back, but she can move Nyar. It's a rather inefficient use of an area burst 2 power, but if I have her hit Z1 with Tide of the First Storm, then I can move Nyar (and Raberta) four squares... and use her Covenant of Preservation effect to move Cairn.
"I believe I can manage that." Narvala says, responding to both requests. She points her staff at the floor near Nyar and the zombie, and while the undead creature is blasted by holy energy channeled from her guantlets, Nyar is wisked away. On the other side of the battlefield, Cairn is moved to where he had asked to be moved to.
[sblock=actions]free/comment: apply Holy Gauntlents to this attack; keep damage roll from earlier
standard: Tide of the First Storm centered on L6 (area burst 2, only enemy in burst is Z1) - Tide of the First Storm vs REF; dmg (1d20+12=25, 1d6+7=9) so 14 radiant damage (holy gauntlents added 5 dmg, changed damage type to radiant, 2 extra radiant dmg on future divine attacks with the radiant keyword) to Z1 if it hits, and Nyar is slid to M7.
Covenant of Preservation: Slide Cairn to N13
move: move to L11
[/sblock][sblock=Narvala]Narvala—Female Human Invoker 7 (Ordained Priest)
Initiative: +3, Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 27
AC: 19, Fort: 17, Reflex: 20, Will: 22; (ranged attacks from >5 sq take a -1 penalty) — Speed: 6
HP: 36/50, Bloodied: 25, Surge: 12, Surges left: 0/6;
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: Not Used
Powers -
Sun Strike
Hand of Radiance
Vanguard's Lightning
Shinning Symbol
Chains of Carceri
Forceful Denunciation
Tide of the First Storm

Purging Flame

Wall of Light