The Shackled City - Golarion Interest/Recruitment (CLOSED)

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
@Fangor the Fierce

One thing to keep in mind with acid splash, is that its not going to scale very well with level.

Actually, it would scale with the sneak attack damage.
Examples:
8th level - Move 10 feet, acid splash ranged touch attack for 1d3 acid damage + 4d6 Sneak Attack Damage

9th level - Move 10 feet, acid splash ranged touch attack for 1d3 acid damage +5d6 Sneak Attack Damage

This is not including any Rogue Talents that would possibly be taken to assist in damage with sneak attacks. At least, that is my thinking. With the utility options, I see that Rogue Talent option for Minor Magic, which would grant him 3 daily uses of something like Open/Close.

ahayford

First Post
[MENTION=54988]Dragonwriter[/MENTION]

The Golarion wiki has a lot of data in it, so don't feel like you have to read it all. Golarion is a pretty standard Forgotten Realms-like setting. Mainly, I just thought it would help people to read the race and class entries for things they were interested in. Also, reading about Cheliax and the general history might be useful. However, most importantly, if you don't want to do that much homework, just read the stuff I have on the obsidian portal site and know that Cheliax was once the greatest human empire in the realm. On the eve of what was prophetized as being a great moment for their society, their patron god died, all their clerics suddenly cut off and powerless. Now, in their need to recover their lost power, they have turned to diabolism. Devils are openly worshipped and the state deity is Asmodeus (not a nice guy). The Isle of Phara and the cities Sasserine and Cauldron were once colonies of Cheliax, but are now independent city states (As a result of the empire's fall from power)

I'll just post some random ideas here..feel free to completely disregard.

A mercenary caravan guard - Perhaps you see the job opportunities that working in Cauldron as an adventurer as a way to fill your purse, or maybe you just got tired of risking your life for wealthy merchants.

An ex-city guardsman - Drummed out of the guard for dereliction of duty, you are seeking a way to atone. Or perhaps you are just tired of the city turning a blind eye to the actions of the thieve's guild and wish to do something more.

A stranded corsair - Maybe you escaped the fate of your corsair crew by slipping off the ship when the Sasserine authorities caught up to them...or maybe your captain booted you off the ship for refusing to do obey orders. The end result is, you are stuck on the island, a sailor without a ship. You've decided to work odd jobs to make some money.

A dwarf seeking the history of a lost clan. Centuries ago, a branch of your clan set out on a journey through the Darklands (Underdark) to seek out new riches. Initial reports of the discovery of vast quantities of mineral wealth excited your people. Not long after the new city was founded, the tunnels they used to travel underneath the Arcadian Ocean collapsed. All contact was lost. Years later, the head of your clan has sent you to investigate the Isle of Phara for signs of your lost clansmen.

ahayford

First Post
[MENTION=17100]Fangor the Fierce[/MENTION]

I guess what I'm saying is, I think you are better off just using a weapon, which could be magical...and significantly better then the acid splash.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Actually, it would scale with the sneak attack damage.
Examples:
8th level - Move 10 feet, acid splash ranged touch attack for 1d3 acid damage + 4d6 Sneak Attack Damage

9th level - Move 10 feet, acid splash ranged touch attack for 1d3 acid damage +5d6 Sneak Attack Damage

Just don't forget a weapon. If you run into something immune to Acid, you'll be stuck.

An ex-city guardsman - Drummed out of the guard for dereliction of duty, you are seeking a way to atone. Or perhaps you are just tired of the city turning a blind eye to the actions of the thieve's guild and wish to do something more.

I was thinking along the lines of a guardsman or something similar. I also believe I'll just go standard Fighter, as none of the Archetypes are really calling out to me for filling this spot (while I would like Archer, we need a melee).

It's looking like Human for the race, with a variety of weapons at hand. I'll probably narrow down what weapon he prefers over time/in play.

jkason

First Post
Just don't forget a weapon. If you run into something immune to Acid, you'll be stuck.

For that matter, my plans for Caytis will see him using a fair bit of acid, as well: once he's taken his dip in crossblooded sorcerer, he'll gain a temporary natural armor bonus when he casts acid spells, as well as the ability to convert his energy spells to acid on the fly. The combo means he'll have a fair incentive to convert his spells whenever possible (He'll have a sorcerer power of an acidic ray, as well, but as I don't think that'll scale very well, he probably won't be using it much once he gets to take his next magus level).

He'll be able to forego the energy conversion provided we encounter folks with acid resistance, but didn't know if all that acid-throwing might put you off the flavor of that choice.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
For that matter, my plans for Caytis will see him using a fair bit of acid, as well: once he's taken his dip in crossblooded sorcerer, he'll gain a temporary natural armor bonus when he casts acid spells, as well as the ability to convert his energy spells to acid on the fly. The combo means he'll have a fair incentive to convert his spells whenever possible (He'll have a sorcerer power of an acidic ray, as well, but as I don't think that'll scale very well, he probably won't be using it much once he gets to take his next magus level).

He'll be able to forego the energy conversion provided we encounter folks with acid resistance, but didn't know if all that acid-throwing might put you off the flavor of that choice.

I could go with Ray of Frost as well, so that both acid and ice damage are covered.

I do see him as wielding weapons, but he's not the type that likes to be up close and personal. He's a hit and run type of guy, and if he can do it at range, he will. Leaves me to wonder if taking Weapon Finesse would be worth it, if he's not planning on attempting to take on foes in melee.

I think something like a returning dagger would be good for him in the future. Or any returning weapon I can use in melee if/when needed would work.

Character almost done, just have to decide 0 level spell and feat to take. Picture is also up now, but may change it if I can get the background edited and him to look a little more tiefling-like.

SvexynFull.png

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Picture is also up now, but may change it if I can get the background edited and him to look a little more tiefling-like.

I put Val in a chain shirt; even though he'll initially be wearing an armored coat, he'll switch as soon as he can - especially if he can get a mithril one. Otherwise I've got him exactly as I pictured him while I was writing him up.

(The close-up I posted is meant for his map token).

ahayford

First Post
[MENTION=17100]Fangor the Fierce[/MENTION]

How did you make the bordered map icons in your game? Just used photoshop or something?

Remove ads