The Shackled City - Golarion Interest/Recruitment (CLOSED)

ahayford

First Post
(RECRUITMENT CLOSED)
Hi Everyone,

I've decided to take the plunge and give DMing PbP a shot. I'm interested in running The Shackled City AP by Paizo Publishing.

Module: Shackled City Adventure Path
Setting: I will be modifying the AP to fit in the Pathfinder Golarion World
Ruleset: I'm leaning towards Pathfinder RPG but could be convinced to do 3.5

Game Description

Players will be starting level 1 characters, and the Adventure Path should take characters into epic levels. I will be writing up/stealing/modifying a quick player's guide to give players some background information and guidance for character creation. The Shackled City is an Urban/Dungeon focused campaign, so characters with heavy outdoor focused builds might find their abilities less useful then others (though people can play what they want). The campaign will be slightly modified from its original printing to fit into Golarion as opposed to the original Greyhawk for which it was written. I may also include some additional content.

The Basics:
I have some general rules I'd also like to cover:
1) No evil characters
2) No loners please. Characters must be willing to be part of a team either for glory/honor/profit/what have you.

Update Frequency:
I'm targeting a GM update every 2days minimum, though I could update as frequently as once a day depending on my schedule. If I will need to be away for longer then that I will let the players know.

Recruitment
When I get 4 players showing interest I will get the player guide together so that people can start building characters. I would request that those signing up list the ruleset they prefer and whether or not running the other ruleset is make or break for them. Please also include whether or not you have run the AP before or have knowledge of it. I'd prefer to run it for people who have never run it before, but I'm willing to include others if they are good and limiting the metagaming :).

FULL DISCLOSURE:

I have not run Pathfinder RPG before so this will be a bit of a learning experience for me, but I have 3.5 exp.

This will be my first PbP DM'd game.

Current Players:
jkason
Dragonwriter
Fangor
Mowgli
Shayuri
Walking Dad

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
I'm always interested in more Pathfinder. The new ninja class is quite interesting, and/or there are a couple of archetypes I've been debating giving a go for other classes.

I've sort of lost the thread on 3.5, and with the much better-supported online rules resources Paizo's got, I'm not sure I'd be able to maintain long-haul interest if that's the way you went.

Dragonwriter

First Post
I'd be up for this. :)

I'm more inclined to 3.5, but I would like to know what books would be allowed if you go that route. I'm OK with PF, but am limited to the PFSRD for rules/material.
I have only heard/read about Shackled City.

I'm not sure what I'd play at this point... It'll probably depend somewhat on ruleset and stat generation. :p

And how are you looking to handle advancement? If I may be so bold, HolyMan has used a sort of "milestone advancement" for the modules he's running - you reach a certain important point/accomplish something important and gain a level. No fiddling with XP, no long filler encounters (because PbP combat is notoriously slow :p) and reduces bookkeeping. Might be worth a look. :)
(And it helps keep players satisfied if they/we see advancement. ;))

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
I am TOTALLY interested in this campaign! I have been wanting to play this for the long haul, as it goes all the way to the high levels. I am up for either 3.5 or Pathfinder (prefer 3.5, as it's designed for this adventure module). Plus, I am in it for the long haul with either system! I would be able to play most roles, with an interest in rogue or barbarian possibly being my top choices. All depends on what classes are allowed and what game system.

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I'm interested! Pathfinder ruleset is make or break for me, though. Never read or played this AP, but I've heard good things!

No idea what I'd like to play at this point - whatever it is, it'll be strictly Paizo published Pathfinder sources, so I'd be interested in knowing which of those you'd allow. After that, it'll depend on party makeup.

ahayford

First Post
Alrighty, glad to see so much initial interest. I'm going to go ahead and lock this in as Pathfinder ruleset as that seems like what most people are interested in. I'd try and hold off a little bit on committing yourself mentally to a class until I get the player guide out that will give you some background information on the area to help you build a character concept. I would expect to see the guide sometime next week. I will try and put it together this weekend. My current thoughts on character sources

Pathfinder Core
Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide

I'm currently debating about purchasing the Complete Combat and Complete Magic. If I do, I will likely allow them as sources.

ahayford

First Post
And how are you looking to handle advancement? If I may be so bold, HolyMan has used a sort of "milestone advancement" for the modules he's running - you reach a certain important point/accomplish something important and gain a level. No fiddling with XP, no long filler encounters (because PbP combat is notoriously slow :p) and reduces bookkeeping. Might be worth a look. :)
(And it helps keep players satisfied if they/we see advancement. ;))

This is definitely a possibility. I'm not a fan of filler encounters that don't advance the story. The other option, of course is just awarding more XP for completing a milestone.

jkason

First Post
I'm currently debating about purchasing the Complete Combat and Complete Magic. If I do, I will likely allow them as sources.

FYI, pretty much all the rules for Ultimate Magic and Ultimate Combat are online, too. I use d20pfsrd.com, but I know there are other online versions.

ahayford

First Post
My current thoughts on stat generation are going to be modeled after Pathfinder Society Rules. Does anyone have a problem with point buy?

Pathfinder Society uses the “purchase” system for
generating ability scores, as explained on pages 15–16 of the
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook. Pathfinder Society
uses the “High Fantasy” choice of 20 points, allowing you
to build a solid PC at 1st level. Please remember that no
score can be reduced below 7 or raised above 18 using this
method. Racial modifiers are applied after the points are
spent, so it is possible to begin play with a low ability score
of 5 and a high ability score of 20, depending on your race
choice.

Shayuri

First Post
I've always wanted to try this AP, and I love Pathfinder, so...I'm interested. Details pending on what other folks are doing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases