A Keep On The Borderland OOC

Axel

First Post
More fuel for the fire? My imagination keeps ticking over for this setting... DrSi, I don't know if you have anything written or planned for the Wardens of the Midnight Sun yet. Below is my first pass at putting some detail to them. Feel free to use none, some or all of it (or add to it...or do whatever really).

The Wardens were originally an Elvish organisation, formed in the now long passed days of Elven supremacy in the region. Their original purpose was to keep travellers safe on the roads and byways away from the more settled areas. Sometimes this took the form of taking on a guide's poisition. Sometimes helping those through inexperience, naievety or sheer bad fortune than they came across in the wilds. As the Orcs and Fey multiplied in the region Elven power waned, though the Wardens survived.

Guided by a conclave of druids and experienced wardens from a location revealed to few - even among the Wardens themselves, though suspected to be the land of the Midnight Sun referred to in their name. Some stories say that this is a mountain so high that one can see the sun as the gods return it to its starting point in the east. Other stories say that the world is round, and the Midnight Sun it is a cavern so deep that sunlight from the other side shines through. Any who may have seen this place that the Wardens hold holy have not spoken of their visit.

The Wardens of the Midnight Sun divide the region of their influence into Marches - though no formal division has ever been made. Each March is "supervised" by a resident Marshall, who has his own selected group to undertake tasks. This group is of no fixed size, disposition or ability. Some of the better known Marches include the River March, encompassing Last Ferry and a good deal of its surrounds and the Ridgeback March that covers the major trade routes across a series ridgeline trails back to the civilized lands.

The ultimate goals of the Wardens are known only to the conclave, though many have guessed at them based on the actions taken. , the Wardens will take care of their own as a first priority. Since most individual Wardens are ruggedly independent creatures, this consumes little resources. Any individuals or groups found to be in need in the wilderness - regardless of their race, creed, religion or philosophy (provided it does not oppose the Wardens themselves) will be given aid to the best of any individual Warden's ability. This commonly results in an individual Warden accepting a guide's position for groups heading out of the jurisdiction of the towns and villages.

Ultimately, many inhabitants of the region are convinced that the Wardens are a stabilising force. They do not impose their own laws and beliefs on the inhabitants. At times will act decisively to control various groups that seek to gain too great a power throughout the region. Commonly these groups are Orcs, who breed powerful individuals in great numbers, and the Fey - who are devious and can grow powerful stealthily. As the Fey and Orcs compete for many of the same resources, outright confrontation between the two groups would result in widespread destruction. The Wardens are known to act to nip potential power imbalances in the bud with deadly force. This has, and will no doubt continue, to involve armed raids against rising Orc and Fey leaders that threaten to unit their respective races against the other inhabitants.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Axel, some good ideas there. I particularly like the idea that the area was once under elven influence which has since waned - good potential for old elvish ruins etc.

Maybe work the beastmen into that somewhere. I'm wondering if they perhaps are servants of the fey, maybe created by them to fight orcs, or simply brought in from elsewhere.

Can we just have a show of hands to check everyone is still on board, I'm about ready to get this thign going.

Axel

First Post
Axel, some good ideas there. I particularly like the idea that the area was once under elven influence which has since waned - good potential for old elvish ruins etc.

Maybe work the beastmen into that somewhere. I'm wondering if they perhaps are servants of the fey, maybe created by them to fight orcs, or simply brought in from elsewhere.

Can we just have a show of hands to check everyone is still on board, I'm about ready to get this thign going.

Cheers for the kudos. Was just a few ideas that have been ticking over in my head given a voice. Thought it might give you a few ideas to boot.

I'll rework in a minute or three for Draft B, new and improved with Beastmen. To be honest, I had forgotten about them... :blush:

Oh, oh. I am so still on board. Not nearly as much activity/spare time as I previously had (6 weeks and counting till my first kid appears...) but will be able to manage a few appearances each week.

Axel

First Post
Second draft, as promised.

The Wardens were originally an Elvish organisation, formed in the now long passed days of Elven supremacy in the region. Their original purpose was to keep travellers safe on the roads and byways away from the more settled areas. Sometimes this took the form of taking on a guide's poisition. Sometimes helping those they came across in the wilds who through inexperience, naievety or sheer bad fortune were in peril. As the Orcs and Fey multiplied in the region Elven power waned, though the Wardens survived.

The Wardens of the Midnight Sun divide the region of their influence into Marches - though no formal division has ever been made. Each March is overseen by a resident Marshall, who has his (or in some cases her) own selected group to undertake tasks that they see fit. This group is of no fixed size, disposition or ability and is tailored by individual Marshall's to suit their goals and their March. Some of the better known Marches include the River March, encompassing Last Ferry and a good deal of its surrounds upstream and downstream, and the Ridgeback March that covers the major trade routes across a series ridgeline trails back to the civilized lands.

The ultimate goals of the Wardens are known only to the conclave, though many have guessed at them based on the actions taken. The Wardens will take care of their own as a first priority. Since most individual Wardens are ruggedly independent creatures, this consumes little resources. Any individuals or groups found to be in need in the wilderness - regardless of their race, creed, religion or philosophy (provided it does not oppose the Wardens themselves) will be given aid to the best of any individual Warden's ability. This commonly results in an individual Warden accepting a guide's position for groups heading out of the jurisdiction of the towns and villages.

Lastly, many inhabitants of the region are convinced that the Wardens are acting as a stabilising force. They do not impose their own laws and beliefs on the inhabitants, believing in free choice for individuals. At times will act decisively to control various groups that seek to gain too great a power throughout the region, or impose themselves too greatly on others. Commonly these groups are Orcs, who breed powerful individuals in great numbers, and the Fey - who are devious and can grow powerful stealthily. As the Fey and Orcs compete for many of the same resources, outright confrontation between the two groups would result in widespread destruction. The Wardens are known to act to nip potential power imbalances in the bud with deadly force. This has, and will no doubt continue, to involve armed raids against rising Orc and Fey leaders that threaten to unite their respective races against the other inhabitants.

Guided by a conclave of druids and experienced Wardens from a location revealed to few - even among the Wardens themselves, though suspected to be the land of the Midnight Sun referred to in their name. Some stories say that this is a mountain so high that one can see the sun as the gods return it to its starting point in the east. Other stories say that the world is round, and the Midnight Sun it is a cavern so deep that sunlight from the other side shines through. Any who may have seen this place that the Wardens hold holy have not spoken of their visit.

Troubling to many Wardens, and no doubt the conclave if any knew their minds, are the comparatively recent appearance of the Beastmen. They first appeared in the region two to three human generations previously, and were thought to be a nomadic species on a new migration route. Over the years, the numbers of Beastmen have increased exponentially, far faster than natural growth or migration could account for. They seem moderately intelligent - certainly above animal intelligence, and organise themselves into tribes of a few dozen up to hundreds of individuals. The Beastmen have been noted as being agressive, and seem to enjoy conflict and tests of strength. They have been found (very occasionally) allied with Orcs for a raid or battle - as both species share a perverse love of destruction, yet also side with Fey. Whether the Fey succeeded in dominating their minds through magic, or gained their loyalty through some other means remains to be discovered.

Individual Wardens are largely left to themselves by the organisation. Many are capable hunters, trackers or trappers - sometimes all of the above. Their responsibilities are to safeguard others found in need in the wild, and to follow instructions from the Marshall in whose March they find themselves. Each may claim shelter and refuge from another Warden, though none would seek to remain more than three nights. In a similar vein, the Marshall's residence is seen as a safehouse for all Wardens that may be in the March, and a rallying point in times of crisis. A Warden is expected to call at each such safehouse when passing through a March to exchange news.

Shayuri

First Post
I'm still here.

I'm assuming all this 'elf stuff' is outside the ken of the human-dominated kingdom that Arcata is from, yes?

It's cool though!

jkason

First Post
I'm here! Just sent my out of town visitors on their way, so back to the grind and catching up. One cavalier and his trusty mount ready for duty. :)

Dr Simon

Explorer
Cor! IC Thread is up.

Shayuri - I suspect that Arcata and other civilised characters know that elves were once in the area, but probably nothing about the specifics.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases