A Keep On The Borderland OOC

Axel

First Post
If DrSi hasn't said anything in PM to you, then you know as much about the area as I do! :) Suggest you make something up, in the absence of any details or suggestions. Though it seems you already have...undead eh? Damn...

Dr Simon

Explorer
Maybe a bit late, but if anyone wants to reftrofit their character:

I'm thinking of introducing a Leadership skill (Charisma-based, may be used untrained) for getting groups of people to obey your commands. Success means that they do what you want, failure by 5 or less means you get some of what you want, failure by 5 or more means refusal. Depending on the situation, this might not occur right away - the group may agree, go off to perform the task but not actually do so. You can Take 10, but not Take 20.

DC depends on how difficult and/or dangerous the task is. Circumstantial bonuses will apply, including such things as morale, general loyalty, characters renown etc. As well as, obviously, commanding troops this could also be used with teams of craftsmen etc.

Some traits could apply too: Born Leader means you have a natural aptitude for getting people to agree with you, gives +1 to Leadership and Diplomacy; Demagogue is the art of giving people what they want, gives +1 to Leadership and Sense Motive; Commanding Presence gives +1 Leadership and +1 Will.

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm. I thought Diplomacy/Intimidate already fit that bill...

But if you move forward with that addition, I'd like a talent that makes it a class skill, like I have for Diplomacy.

ahayford

First Post
Sorry, don't take the dead statement too literally. I meant to imply that only the corpses of his fallen comrades still lived there. I do have some details I will share as Greggory gets more comfortable with the new comers.

jkason

First Post
Not sure 'bout the new skill. I think I'm with Shayuri in thinking there are already social skills to effectively cover what you're talking about. If you're specifically trying to come up with something that changes things when you're addressing a group, I wonder if it might not be better to create modifiers to Diplomacy / Intimidate when in those particular situations, rather than creating another, heavily-situational skill.

Sorry, don't take the dead statement too literally. I meant to imply that only the corpses of his fallen comrades still lived there. I do have some details I will share as Greggory gets more comfortable with the new comers.

I assumed this, but figured having some IC confusion added to the drama, so I went with what Axel was intimating. :0

Which isnt' to say there *isn't* undead at the fort....

Gah! No giving the GM ideas. :p

Axel

First Post
How about making it a subset of Diplomacy? When addressing groups of people, add your BAB (or some other level dependent stat?) to your Diplomacy result. Beat DCX to sway the group in your favour. DM fiat (circumstance modifiers!) on things like recognised commanders giving orders to their troops based on how "sensible" the order is.

Shayuri

First Post
I thought there were already rules for using social skills to influence groups?

I mean...argh, I'll look it up later. But I'm SURE this is already covered by the rules, in one form or another.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Well, it's just a thought.

What I've managed to find so far:

From Heroes of Battle

A "Rally Check" is based on Charisma, commander level and rank. Diplomacy and Initimidate give synergy bonuses to this check, Bluff can also be used to raise troop morale by "talking them up".

From Cry Havoc

A "Command check" is either Cha plus BAB or a Profession (military commander) check or a Diplomacy/Intimidate check at -5, whichever is higher.

I can find nothing in the PFRD about troop combat and influencing large groups.

Now, Diplomacy and Intimidate would work perfectly well as alternative skills to achieve the same thing. To me, though, Diplomacy is persuading someone to be on your side whereas Inimidate is brow-beating someone into doing something. Both could be methods of command, what I'm reaching for is simply telling someone to do something and they obey, not necesasrily for love or for fear, but for duty or simple power of presence. I guess Charisma plus character level might work just as well, although I'd also like something where a character could put more resources into it if they so chose. I guess synergy bonuses* from Diplomacy or Intimidate would be one way, traits and feats another. Also something that isn't just applicable to commanding troops.

*Although PF doesn't use synergy.

Axel

First Post
FWIW Dr Si, I think you're broadly on a good path. That goes double if skirmish type combat (say 2 dozen combatants?) is going to be a reliable fixture.

Maybe, borrowing from wargaming, force a "morale check" for difficult actions (say, charging a dragon) or for high casualties etc. Make a morale check rolled by the "commanding officer" (probably Arcata for this party, though Bastian is also a strong contender) with a DC required to maintain morale (chosen by GM(. Modifiers could be Charisma, Diplomacy or Intimidate, character level etc.

As long as something equivalent applied to the "other side" too I'd be pretty happy. It'd mean we wouldn't have to massacre a whole beastman tribe to "win" the combat. Kill 1 in 3 and the rest flee, or kill 1 in 4 and the chief, etc.

Remove ads