A Keep On The Borderland OOC

Axel

First Post
Hey, maybe that was the plan? Shhh...it's like discussing tactics around a table with the DM listening. Move a bunch of dancing lights from here-to-there etc? No...bummer... Well, nothing like leading low level characters to their death.

Am reasonably confident Sh'aah can run away (what with nearly 40HP at level 2 and orcish ferocity) and re-form "the party" in a somewhat different format if things go totally pearshaped. I've been using it as a psychological crutch for doing semi-suicidal things since we baited the ambush...

Speaking of which, goddamnit why does it have to come down to (another, and untrained this time...) d20 roll by Sh'aah?! These things are testing my nerves to a seriously bad level. Am going to roll shortly...

Shayuri

First Post
Hehe. Well, at first I was going to use Ghost Sound...but it turns out Arcata doesn't have it. What I would give for one more level. :)

Edit -

Okay, backup plan! Instead of dancing lights, we can use torches. Either ones we already had as part of the caravan, or we can make some overnight. Then, under cover of darkness and fog, we set them up on short stakes in the ground. Then Arcata lights them with Prestidigitation. She uses Dancing Lights...just one casting...to create the impression that other torches are lighting too, so it doesn't look as much like one person lighting torches in a row.

Last edited:

Axel

First Post
I'm pretty confident we can win and move on to looting (there's a +1/+1 vorpal double axe there, right?). :) It's the critical d20 rolls that get to me. If you'd ever played with me in the flesh...well...I am not a particularly good d20 roller. At times, even with a level 15 barbarian, I swear I would've missed the water if that character fell off a boat... At least the ENWorld die roller doesn't hate me anymore.

Shayuri

First Post
Don't psyche yourself out. This is a distraction, not a high level con. In the end it doesn't matter if they see through this or not. All we NEED is to get the attention of all/most of the guards on the walls for a critical moment to give our people time to burst in and get the first round of hits in.

After that it'll be a giant furball no matter WHAT they thought our diversion was. :)

Dr Simon

Explorer
I'm pretty confident we can win and move on to looting (there's a +1/+1 vorpal double axe there, right?). :)

Yes, but unfortunately it's wielded by the 15th level barbarian leader of the beastmen...

As far as Dancing Lights is concerned, I can see that the PF rule is a bit of a fudge to prevent you from casting it infinitely, but I can't see an issue with multiple castings. I'm prepared to house rule something like you can have as many running as you can prepare 0th level spells, because if this were 3.5 that's how many you'd be able to cast. Arcata could always have them fading in and out of the fog as well, I guess.

Axel

First Post
Yes, but unfortunately it's wielded by the 15th level barbarian leader of the beastmen...

Having played a 15th level barbarian and inflicted critical hits >100 HP (the quite laughably random 3d12+97) in a single blow I have no interest in fighting said leader... He can keep his bloody vorpal axe. Then again...a 20 is going to kill Sh'aah one way or another anyway. Calculated risk anyone? :)

Shayuri

First Post
HUZZAH

That was long, but I have to say, it was fun. Surprisingly it never became dull or uninteresting for me. I was really invested in not just succeeding, but in the survival of the troops too!

Well done, all!

Remove ads