A Keep On The Borderland OOC

Walking Dad

First Post
Already an idea for your race? If you go elf wizard, you could define general magic and elf culture and I would concentrate on half-elf and summoner specifics.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Well, your not obliged to create every aspect related to your character. Think of it more what we've done with the Iron Heroes game, or the Savage Worlds one. Otherwise assume a baseline "standard fantasy" setting.

However, by choosing an elf or half-elf character you confirm that elves and half-elves definitely exist in the world.

jkason

First Post
Hmmm. I'm intrigued by the premise, even if I'm not sure how well I'll manage at large-scale combat rules. Thought of maybe two possible concepts, though:

* With dominion building, one assumes there's some level of intrigue. Been wanting to try a ninja, and that seems to be a role they might fill well.

* In the exact opposite direction, the setup seems like one of the few where I might think a cavalier could fit. I haven't given them a very close look, though, since I tend to avoid mounted combat usually. But there does appear to be an archetype that gains interesting new kinds of mounts as it levels; a cavalier who travels to a Brave New Land and tames its exotic critters to serve him seems an interesting theme...

Dr Simon

Explorer
I don't know yet how much large-scale combat will actually enter into things, and I have some narrative variant systems (in Cry Havoc) that work quite well for background stuff.

Either of those characters seems fine - mounted combat feats are another area that usually get overlooked that I would like to try and make more useful.

jkason

First Post
I don't know yet how much large-scale combat will actually enter into things, and I have some narrative variant systems (in Cry Havoc) that work quite well for background stuff.

Either of those characters seems fine - mounted combat feats are another area that usually get overlooked that I would like to try and make more useful.

I'll see what I come up with for a Cavalier, then. Thought about the Standard Bearer archetype, but will probably go with the Beast Rider, 'cause exotic critters are fun, though that loses him Heavy Armor Proficiency. Hrm... will have to ponder.

jkason

First Post
I'm looking at Order of the Lion, Beast Rider archetype, possibly with the Standard Bearer, as well, depending on how one reads the rules on archetypes; Standard Bearer technically changes the mount class feature that Beast Rider also updates, but only changes the level at which the cavalier gains it; A 5th level Standard Bearer has access to a mount with the exact same stats and abilities as a 5th level base Cavalier. Seems not-unbalancing, then, to mix the two archetypse, but am fine with it either way.

In any event, as the order suggests, a loyal guardsman, either sent to guard one or more noble folk on the journey (maybe served Shayuri's house?) or sent by absent nobility that wants someone at the keep watching out for their interests. He's been drawn to the wilds and the exotic finds that might be there; the idea being that he slowly forms a bond to this more savage world (gains exotic mount, etc).

heh. I am quite enjoying the thought of an order of the Lion Cavalier riding an actual Lion. :)

Walking Dad

First Post
Was away the weekend to visit my father-in-law with my family. I returned and one relay station of my Internet provider is broken, leaving me with no access at home. I'm currently in the local library, but this slows down my posting considerably until they fixed the relay:( .

Shayuri

First Post
Jkason, actually, your character backstory might mesh very well with mine.

Let me get my act together today and I'll post some of what I have in mind...then we can bend and deform it all as we squish them together.

Remove ads