A Keep On The Borderland OOC

Axel

First Post
The Fey part is cool, gives me some ideas, and there are some nice (nasty) ones available in PF. He would probably get more immediate use from having beastmen (figuring they would probably be Monstrous Humanoids) as a favoured enemy, but perhaps more long term use from Fey. At least, based on the ideas I've had so far...

Oh dear...what have I done?! I'll leave it as Fey. Happy with the background reading - its amusing a fairly hefty half-orc being taken down by what passes for PF Fairies. :) Besides, I don't see Fey nearly often enough in games. Beastmen may be his 2nd favoured enemy. I dunno... Haven't even decided on a companion or hunters bond yet...

Semi-related question. What's the likely value in buying a horse with the 1000gp starting gold? They aren't particularly cheap, and to be honest don't get a lot of use in a standard 3.5/PF game.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Ah, glad you asked that. Because I would like to encourage more use of riding skills and feats, everyone starts with a light riding horse for free (or something with similar stats but a different appearance if you prefer). For war-trained or more exotic animals you will need to pay (the difference, from 75gp), or get one via class abilities.

Also accompanying the group are 10 soldiers (1st level warriors). I was originally going to have them under the command of and NPC sergeant, but it actually makes more sense if they are under the command of Bastion and Lady Arcata.

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Ah, glad you asked that. Because I would like to encourage more use of riding skills and feats, everyone starts with a light riding horse for free (or something with similar stats but a different appearance if you prefer). For war-trained or more exotic animals you will need to pay, or get one via class abilities.

Also accompanying the group are 10 soldiers (1st level warriors). I was originally going to have them under the command of and NPC sergeant, but it actually makes more sense if they are under the command of Bastion and Lady Arcata.

Hrm. One of the reasons I'd picked the Standard Bearer was to avoid having a horse to start with. The Banner special ability isn't especially broad, and probably won't see much use (though it'll see more if it applies to Bastian himself). The really neat ability doesn't happen until 11th level, and it's debatable how useful it really is.

If we'll have mounts in any event, I may just go ahead and drop the Standard Bearer archetype and get the war-trained mount his class grants (as well as the 'no armor check to ride checks' ability), since it sounds like that'll be more useful than I'd originally thought. :)

I still have to figure out equipment, too. I don't play straight martial classes much, which I know count on good equipment choices a bit more than casting classes, so I think I'm having a block worried I'll make poor buying decisions. :)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Soory that I haven't been updating my character lately. Reality's been a harsh mistress. I should have some free time this weekend to really get things done. I love making characters, hate the numbers crunching and the formatting to EnWorld standards. We really need us some online gaming sheets. ;)

Dr Simon

Explorer
Seeing as we're getting some fairly developed characters, I thought it was time for the rogues galley.

Herobizkit - no problem, there's no great rush as I'm quite busy for the next couple of weeks anyway.

Jkason - sword and armour should do it!

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
I think you are missing out on some skill ranks, Shayuri. You have 5 ranks listed, but should it not be more like 10?

Axel

First Post
Cool! Minions AND a horse. This is gonna be fun. :)

jkason: I play melee/shooty/martial classes fairly frequently. At level 2, the dice have more impact than your equipment selection. Given the HP bonuses we all have, its hard to go wrong with heavy armour, shield and martial weapon. Don't invest too heavily in shields though, as two-handed weapons are more effective in later life than sword'n'board. I'd also add that since it seems there's water around, if you take heavy armour then put ranks into Swim. :)

Dr Simon

Explorer
A reminder that I haven't forgotten about this! I've come through this busy patch and should have some more time to devote to getting this game started.

Remove ads