September DDI Update news

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Another update for the VT is coming:

More tiles! This thursday (the regular VT update day) they are adding three new tile sets: "The new tiles will come from the three D&D Essentials Master Sets, the Dungeon, City and Wilderness. You will see a dropdown box on the tile selection menu which will allow you to choose the type of tile you want to put down. "

Infiniti2000

First Post
Thanks for the update, [MENTION=56746]mudbunny[/MENTION]. I personally couldn't care less about customized character portraits. I'd MUCH rather have the ability to customize the printout so I can reduce the number of printed pages and save my expensive ink bill. A customized portrait should be higher resolution anyway, and likely printed separately to the character sheet...once!

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
Check the last screen shot, bottom right-hand corner of the screen. IIRC, Export was one of the options shown.

How can I keep up my disappointment if you keep fixing the problems that I see... Dang it Mudbunny, you are ruining my sense of internet outrage and entitlement! :hmm:

In all seriousness, export is a big feature and thank you for pointing out where it was.

Thanks,

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I'm definitely looking forward to trying out the new Monster Builder. I've been using Power2ool as an alternative for a while (I just love the ease of use) but would prefer a tool that lets me store more monsters and also lets me duplicate a monster and modify the duplicate (which Power2ool isn't great at).

Cautious excitement here!

mudbunny

Community Supporter
How can I keep up my disappointment if you keep fixing the problems that I see... Dang it Mudbunny, you are ruining my sense of internet outrage and entitlement! :hmm:

In all seriousness, export is a big feature and thank you for pointing out where it was.

Thanks,

No problem. Now, keep in mind that I, despite my nagging and pleading, that WotC still refuses to give me early access to the MB. So I don't know just *what* the export does. I think that we are all assuming that it is the traditional export, and I think that is a safe answer.

Scribble

First Post
It's nice that you will be able to use custom portraits in the CB again. Now all we need is the basic houseruling functionality that the old one had and we'll be all set.

Good news on the Adventure Tools update as well. It will be nice to finally be able to tinker with critters without crashes and numbers getting deleted.

My guess is still that this functionality will exist (eventually) in the Adventure Tools, allowing DMs to build house rules that show up when the players choose whatever campaign in the CB.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
My guess is still that this functionality will exist (eventually) in the Adventure Tools, allowing DMs to build house rules that show up when the players choose whatever campaign in the CB.
That would be most excellent... provided they don't put silly, arbitrary limits on how many tweaks you can make.

If I want to add feats at every level, I should be able to, in combination with bonus powers, nonstandard stats, etc.

It would also be nice to have checkboxes in there for the Arcana Unearthed series of articles.

Ideally, DMs should be able to tinker with things that affect every character, campaign-wide, like number of healing surges, source material restrictions, disallowed races and classes, and so on.

I realize that this is getting into the territory of homebrewing, but having had some experience writing "mods" for the classic builder - it's not that difficult. I do see it as being within the realm of possibility. They just need to implement a GUI for it (I know -easier said than done). By the time we're at that stage though, 5e might be around the corner.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Look, more info on the Monster Builder:

Export format: Just like the cb, it uses the XML monster format used by the old mb. This will enable full interoperability between the two tools. No RTF at the moment but it should not be a big pain for an enterprising developer to convert the exported XML to any other format...

Storage: for now, 50 monster in "the cloud"

Math: as far as I can tell (bugs notwithstanding), it uses mm3 calculations and stat block.

printing: the mb prints one stat block at a time it is, after all, a "monster builder". Printing multiple stat blocks and laying out other things should be better left to a specialized tool. As a side note, a single stat block should not pose the same problems as a multiple full page output like the cb.

From Paolo M.

Infiniti2000

First Post
[MENTION=56746]mudbunny[/MENTION], can you specifically ask if it has t he copy image capability, so I can populate my own (personal) documents? I like multiple monster stat blocks per page, coupled with a lot of other encounter-specific information. I use these sheets to run my encounters and 1 monster / page is a huge waste of paper.

Remove ads