Chicago Gameday 30 (Oct 15th): Event planning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzz

Adventurer
[highlight]This thread is for planning purposes only. A separate thread will be created for player sign-up closer to Gameday. A link to that thread will be posted here.[/highlight]

[h1]Gameday 30 Planning[/h1]
This is the planning thread for Chicago Gameday 30. If you're interested in running an event for Gameday, or just have planning help to offer, this is the thread for you. If you're confused, go here to learn more about Chicago Gameday.

[h2]Current Event Lineup[/h2]

Morning: 9:30am - 2:30pm
  1. Dice Quest, Reidzilla, Table G
  2. Surcoat Medieval Fantasy Combat Miniatures Game, Mark, Table H
  3. Call of Cthulhu d20, buzz, Table F
  4. The Quiet Year, Nev the Deranged, Table B
  5. World of Darkness, RFlastone, Table E
  6. D&D 4e, strider1970, Table C (private room)
  7. Supernatural, Ninjacat, Table D
  8. Triune, WJMacGuffin, Table A

Afternoon: 3:30pm - 8:00pm
  1. ICONS, Reidzilla, Table G
  2. Griffins & Grottos Medieval Fantasy Wargame and Roleplaying System, Mark, Table C (private room)
  3. Ghostbusters, TracerBullet42, Table E
  4. Dresden Files RPG, Ninjacat, Table D
  5. Recon, ekb, Table B
  6. Witch Hunter, Vyvyan Basterd, Table F
  7. Kill Puppies for Satan, WJMacGuffin, Table A
  8. ...

[h2]The Time, The Place, The Basics[/h2]
[highlight]Gameday 30 will be held on Saturday, October 15th. Events start at 9:30am[/highlight]. Gameday 30 will be hosted by Games Plus, a.k.a., Earth's Greatest Game Store™.

Gameday has two event slots that are 4-5 hours each: a morning slot from 9:30am to 2:30pm, and an afternoon slot from 3:30pm to 8:00pm (and beyond). We typically run at least six events in each slot, with 4-6 players plus GM in each event. GMs may request more/fewer seats in their event, but we have found that 4-6 players per event is ideal.

If you do not have an ENWorld Community Supporter account with Private Messaging enabled, please make sure I have your email address. Feel free to email me.

[h2]Submitting and Running an Event[/h2]
How do I sign up to run an event?
If you would like to run an event for Gameday 30, please post a proposal in this thread.

What info should I provide as part of my proposal?
At the minimum, we need to know:
  • ...The game system you will be using
  • ...How many players will be accommodated
  • ...[highlight]What table you wish to use (take a look at the table map); the size of your event may limit you to certain tables.[/highlight]
  • ...A catchy title
  • ...An event "blurb," i.e., a basic summary of your event
  • ...Whether you want to run the event in the morning or the afternoon

Optional, yet helpful info you can provide includes:
  • ...Whether your event expects prior experience with the rules
  • ...Whether your event is or isn't suitable for all ages
  • ...Whether pregens will be provided
  • ...Links to said pregens (PDFs, Word files, etc)
  • ...Links to info about the game system
  • ...Links to any other files you'd like to offer potential players
  • ...Any images you might like included in the final event description

How long should my event last?
Your event should last at least 4 hours.

If you are running an event in the morning, it should not run longer than 5 hours, so you don't cut into the lunch break.

Events run in the afternoon may last longer than 5 hours, but please be respectful of: a) Games Plus's hours of operation, and b) the needs of players who may be reliant on the Metra scheudle.

When do poeple sign up for my event?
A separate player sign-up thread will be created in a few weeks. You will be notified in advance of the sign-up thread going live. If you are not currently on our mailing list or our Facebook page, please let me know, as this is how we notify event planners of when sign-up goes live.

May I screen potential players?
Pre-approval of player sign-ups is not allowed. By volunteering to run an event, you're agreeing to run it for whomever signs up. Thankfully, everyone who comes to Gameday is totally awesome.

What if I want or need to cancel my event?
You can't! Okay, seriously... please try not to offer an event unless you are certain that you will be able show up and run it come Gameday. If an emergency comes up (and they do, it's okay), please email me as soon as you can, or, worst-case scenario, you can call Games Plus and they should be able to convey the message.

May I run more than one event?
Yes. However, if the scheudle is particularly crowded, please be willing to accomodate other volunteers.

[h2]Suggestions[/h2]
If you have suggestions, recommendations, or ideas for enhancing the fun of Gameday, please feel free to post them here and we'll open up discussion.

Last edited:

buzz

Adventurer
We're hoping to do some special stuff for Gameday 30, folks. I'm looking at maybe a special 30-sided dice giveaway, t-shirts, and a prize or two. More ideas are welcome!

ekb

First Post
vietnam010.jpg

[H1][smallcaps]Fire Base on the Borderlands[/smallcaps][/H1]You have the privilege of taking a hike from FSB Currahee along the Ho Chi Minh Trail with an idiot Air Force captain and his 2 FNG Lts. Like the A Shau Valley is some friggin’ theme park or something. Technically, it’s a recon/recovery patrol at Hill 937, but it feels weirder than that - yet nothing you can put your finger on. Something’s just not right. Maybe it’s this mixing Air Force with Airborne. Maybe it’s those missing pages from the briefing documents. Maybe it’s that the whole mission is classified as Top Secret, code name Delta Green...
[bq]
  • Game system? RECON (d% roll-under system) - executive summary & house rules (aka GM defaults for rulings) (gDocs)
  • GM Provides Characters? Yes, with some character tweaks by the group.
  • Power Level? Competent recon teams in Vietnam in late '67.
  • Tone & Feel: Hamburger Hill, Platoon, We Were Soldiers & Full Metal Jacket
  • Lethality? Yes. Characters will die (backup PCs will be on hand). Full military honors will be given for the best PC death...
  • Rules Knowledge? Beginners welcome. Spare d% will be on hand if you didn't bring dice to GameDay...
  • All ages? Call it PG or TV-14... it's fantasy f***in' Vietnam, after all.
[/bq]

Last edited:

buzz

Adventurer
If I may request a little table in the morning (A or B on the map). Four players sounds right this time out...

Preliminary blurb--
Fire Base on the Borderlands
Game system: Recon (non-megaverse Palladium, d% roll-under system)
Recon? Woah! I remember seeing ads for that in Dragon back in the day.

I'll take a morning table, please.

Most likely for the latest version of Joe McDaldno's The Quiet Year playtest.
Okey-dokey. Table preference?

Netter

First Post
I'm posting this for my husband Troy who goes by RFlatstone. He would like to know if it is possible to get a table in the morning and he'll be running World of Darkness.

He's test playing it tonight with a group of guys and it seems to be going well. :)

I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking 5-6 players and a low table please (he has back issues)- the private room would work if no one else is using it.

Thank you!

Last edited:

ekb

First Post
Recon? Woah! I remember seeing ads for that in Dragon back in the day.
Yup. Sort of. Mechanically, it's the same one, with the rules clarifications from Eric Wujcik and the weapons research by Kevin Siembieda and the usual Palladium suspects.

Mercifully, it's not the same engine as Rifts/Palladium Fantasy - it's a far lighter and smoother d%/d10-only system. It's not needed much adaptation or revision over the years. It also means that it's not had as much additions via The Rifter...

So, no love for the "Keep on the Borderlands" or Delta Green parts of the scenario? /sigh ;)

strider1970

First Post
Hi Buzz,

I would like to run a D&D event at Table C (private room) in the morning slot, but I'll take the afternoon slot if need be.

Title: The Eye of Vecna
Summary: A party of adventurers braves an ancient necropolis filled with undead to retrieve the Eye of Vecna, an evil artifact lost for centuries and sought after by malevolent cultists.
Game System: D&D 4e (essentials)
Players: 3 – 6 (Pregen PCs provided; all ages/novices welcome; no experience necessary)
Preferred Table: C
Preferred Time Slot: Morning

Please use this photo: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/excerpt_4E_lich.jpg

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:

buzz

Adventurer
No preference. And you can go ahead and put me down for TQY, I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be doing.
Done, and you're at Table B. TQY sounds pretty neat!

I'm posting this for my husband Troy who goes by RFlatstone. He would like to know if it is possible to get a table in the morning and he'll be running World of Darkness.
Added! A new record, as we've never had any WoD run at Gameday, ever!

Hi Buzz,

I would like to run the following event at Table C (private room) in the morning slot, but I'll take the afternoon slot if need be.

Title: The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Summary: A small party of young adventurers with a reputation for bravery must rescue a wealthy trade union leader who has been kidnapped by an unsavory gang of criminals in the Free City of Greyhawk.
Game System: AD&D /OSRIC
Added!

I'm going to say that Ninjacat has dibbs on Table D for his inevitable and beloved Supernatural event. That only leaves Table I!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases