The Shackled City - Golarion Prelude - Page 3


What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 690
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,971
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore jkason
    My communities:

    Caytis Maggerin, half-elf magus

    Both of the newcomers made Caytis nervous. But then, people in general made him nervous, so he tried to shake off his misgivings. He made room at the group's table for both the wild woman and the man with the odd visions, and ate his soup in silence, fighting against the worries whispering in the back of his own mind.

    Doesn't seem our new friend much likes whatever it is that watches over him... he lets himself think, then shoves the thought back in an effort to enjoy the evening as he hoped there would be no more unpleasant surprises.

 

  • #22
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    ahayford's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    795
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore ahayford
    The troop of Hillfolk girls emerge once again from the kitchen, carrying bountiful platters of food and drink. The middle-age woman brings Nai her plate personally. She sets the food down and politely refused coin for the food.

    “Don’t tink I don’t know who ya are child.” She glaces at Nai’s garb.“Or who ya tink ya are anyways. I still follow de old ways here, and this here house be mine as much as it is dis outlander’s. You don’t cause trouble here, or judge me and me girls.”

    With that she spins, on her heal and marches back to her kitchen.

    As the evening meal is lain out, merchants begin talking amongst themselves. One conversation sticks out more then then others, as the two men are talking so loud as to almost be yelling. One merchant, is a greying human in fine, but simple travel clothes. The other, is a ratty white haired dwarf, with a smile full of gold teeth.

    The human slams his mug on the table.

    “It is our duty to the city to fix this problem and ensure the city has enough food to make it to the next harvest. You know as good as anyone that our local food crops are not enough too feed our population.”


    “I still fail to see how this is my problem.” The dwarf utters through a belch.

    The human sneers. “If honor fails to motivate you, perhaps economics will. Starving people will not pay for your luxuries. It makes good economic sense to shift our imports to bring more food into the city rather then the casks of wine and cigars you have on your wagons outside.”

    “Bah, I sell my goods to the nobility and upper class. I have a feeling they’ll make it through this “crisis” just fine. In fact, I heard the grocer’s guild fabricated the entire rice weevil pestilence as a way to raise the price on rice.” The man grins. “Good for them”.

    The conversation continues on into the night, until eventually, the dwarf laughs, shakes his head, and goes up to his room, leaving the human fuming into his rum.


    Svexyn

    You emerge outside into the evening air. The sky is turning orange and red as the sun nears the end of its daily journey. You can still smell the comforting aromas of The Lucky Monkey’s kitchen, but the din of hungry travelers lessens as you cross the threshold. Caravan workers are still hard at work brushing down pack animals and stacking barrels and crates for the night. You spy a covered pavilion that several off duty workers have already claimed spots under.


    *Incoming Rolls
    Last edited by ahayford; Tuesday, 20th September, 2011 at 02:10 AM.

  • #23
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    ahayford's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    795
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore ahayford
    Svexyn Only
    You aren't positive, but you think the sound is getting louder...or perhaps you can just discern more sources.


    Valinnan Only
    You can barely make out this noise on the night wind.

    http://www.naturesongs.com/cicadapl1.wav

  • #24
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Fangor the Fierce's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,230
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Fangor the Fierce
    My communities:

    Svexyn listens to the sounds of the night, wondering just what tomorrow would bring. The sound he heard earlier seems to be louder now, as he looks about into the surroundings, his eyes able to pierce the darkness easily. He tries to discern the location that the noises are coming from, as well as get an idea of where the nearest fires are located. Bugs usually don't like being close to fires...

    Taking 20 on Perception to find source of the sounds if possible.

  • #25
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,971
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore jkason
    My communities:

    Caytis Maggerin

    Caytis listened with interest to the talk of food shortages--and more, the talk of false shortages made to increase profits. He frowned, but managed to stop himself from standing and demanding answers. It wasn't his conversation, as much as the participants couldn't be bothered to keep it from his ears. Instead, he ate in silence, forcing a smile in those instances when his companions seemed to notice his dourness.

    OOC: are Nia and Wilber at our table? Just wasn't sure if Caytis would have heard the comment from the other hill woman.

  • #26
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    ahayford's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    795
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore ahayford
    OOC: The way I pictured it was that Nia and Marcus are standing over Wilbur. Wilbur is recovering his strength on the floor/at a table. Valinnan and Caytis are sitting at a table nearby (as was Svexyn until he walked out), and Svexyn is now outside. Please feel free to correct/update your current position

  • #27
    Registered User
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    Dragonwriter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Southern California, US
    Posts
    2,465
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Dragonwriter
    My communities:

    Once Wilbur seems recovered enough, Marcus helps him to a table. He orders his own roast pork and fried bananas, but just drinks water. And he pays for a private room. The loud conversation, or argument, between the merchants brings up some things of no surprise to the former guardsman. Underhanded business practices were all too common, particularly in a city as corrupt as Cauldron.

    OOC

    Subtracting the 2 GP, 5 SP from my sheet.

  • #28
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    ahayford's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    795
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore ahayford
    Svexyn

    You listen intently, trying to discern the origin of the sound. It continues to grow louder. What once was a single chirrup has now become a chorus with discernable differences in pitch and tempo. The sound seems to be coming from the jungle north of the outpost on the other side of the trade road. As you slowly walk toward the west gate to get a better view of the jungle, you spot a small stampede of wildlife burst from the jungle. Various vermin and even a jungle cat erupt from the jungle in the direction of the noise, cross the road, and dive into the cover of the other side.

    The sun has dipped bellow the horizon, but a pale orange glow is now visible over the jungle in the direction of the noise.

    The workers have retired to a campfire near the covered pavillion and have begun singing and carrying on around the flames. A young hillfolk girl has exited the inn to retrieve some water from a nearby well. The guards are still at their posts at the east and west gate, but seem rather disinterested in doing anything besides dozing off.

    The Lucky Monkey

    The evening comes upon the inn relatively uneventfully. The noise has died down somewhat as the good food and spirits take their tole on the already exhausted caravaners. Merchants discuss their plans for tomorrow with their subordinates as the young women emerge to collect plates and empty mugs. One girl exits the building carrying a large bucket, presumably to retrieve water for her cleaning duties.

    Incoming rolls

  • #29
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    ahayford's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    795
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore ahayford
    Valinnan and Wilbur

    The sound is getting obviously louder. It sounds more like a chorus now as opposed to a single source.


    Various bar partrons begin to look around in a state of bewilderment. Several people get up to peer out the windows.

  • #30
    Registered User
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    Dragonwriter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Southern California, US
    Posts
    2,465
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Dragonwriter
    My communities:

    Marcus is near-oblivious to anything going on beyond the table, so focused he is upon his food once it arrives. When people stand up and go to the windows is when he finally takes notice of anything. His brow furrows as he remains sitting and watching. He quietly asks to his table-mates, "Any ideas why they're... doing whatever they're doing?"

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 208
      Last Post: Monday, 21st January, 2013, 08:15 PM
    2. The Shackled City - Golarion Interest/Recruitment (CLOSED)
      By ahayford in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 264
      Last Post: Saturday, 21st July, 2012, 02:27 PM
    3. shackled city npc help
      By Leinart in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: Thursday, 27th September, 2007, 04:16 PM
    4. CB's Shackled City v3.5
      By CanadienneBacon in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: Friday, 9th February, 2007, 05:26 AM
    5. Shackled City
      By Yair in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: Sunday, 13th November, 2005, 12:43 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •