Do you have a "small superpower"?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Code Name: The Baby Whisperer
Power: The Baby Whisperer can soothe a cranky infant or toddler that he is related to.
Examples:
* The Baby Whisperer can make a related infant go to sleep in under 10 minutes (usually around 5min actually) -- this gift alone is worth gold to the tired mothers.
* The Baby Whisperer can make a related infant stop crying by simply waving at the child (presuming the infant/toddler is not crying for a reason related to food, in which case food is given)
* The Baby Whisperer can understand the babble from a related toddler. This does not extend to nonverbal communication, but is specific to vocalized babble when the child has not yet fully developed words and hard consonant sounds but is poorly attempting to do so.

Limits of Power: The Baby Whisperer's powers stop working on an infant/toddler around the time that the child turns 4. At that same time, the child is no longer soothed by the Baby Whisperer but instead feels compelled to never leave the Baby Whisperer's side, telling him anything and everything, over and over, ad nauseum. :)

That's my Dad's power, but it even works on kids he's not related to. It served him well when he worked as a pediatrician.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Code Name: The Exceptionally Unphotogenic
Power: Despite having decent/average enough looks, any photograph with me in it looks horrible; almost as if there is a second visage portrayed by my soul that is only captured on images...
This is not limited to personal opinion but extends to the opinion of friends, family, and even strangers who are shown said pictures.

Ahhh, yet another one to add to my list!

And I actually have kept a lot of mine, such as:

1) a passport photo in which I, though sort of caramel in complexion, appear to be as black as ENWorld's default background.

2) a security badge in which I- dressed in a grey shirt with a green vest- appear to have ORANGE skin, a lavender shirt, and a teal vest.

3) a driver's license in which I'm wearing a shirt & skinny black tie...but my shirt is the exact same color as the photo background.

4) a Sam's Club ID in which I look like I was recently released from prison, given too much to drink, and put in a rumpled Saints jersey.

Still, I regret losing he one that made me start collecting them- my first college student ID card.

I was 5'4"- quite round- and wore a high-top fade as was (just barely still) the style. (But it was in need of a trimming.) I was wearing a hawaiian shirt of brilliant red with pineapples & parrots. The photo's background was tangerine. And the photographer told me to smile...and waited until my eyes were closed to press the button.

Thus was I christened with the first of my college nicknames: Smiling Flattop Buddha.

Jack7

First Post
I wouldn't call this a superpower by any mans, and it's partially a trained set of abilities.

But I can go days without sleep of any kind, and with very little food or drink, often without much loss of concentration or focus. Though if I go 3 days or so without sleep I'll get a constant dull headache then afterwards I'll sleep for 12 or so hours at a time. The older I get though the less sleep, food, and drink I require. I don't tire easily at all and never have. And I often prefer being up all night.

It's also very hard to shake me if I'm tracking someone, and I can generally drop a tail like a bad habit.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I have the very minor superpower of situational perceptiveness. I notice when someone's trying to take a picture of me, and am able to ruin the photo. My fiancee tries to take candid pictures of me, and I always put on a cheesy smile as she presses the button. If I'm in the middle of a conversation, I try to time it so that the person I'm talking to gives me a weird look, as he wonders why I'm smiling so strangely.

Other stuff...
Reverse mind-reading: Picking an integer 1-10, people can always guess what number I'm thinking of.
Slow mind-reading: I can guess what number you're thinking of, if you pick an integer 1-10. It may take up to 10 attempts.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I just discovered a new one: in a certain building on the UT Arlington campus, only one elevator will carry me. It has been over a month, and only the right-hand elevator appears to carry me up or down.

I asked if the left one was out of order. It isn't.

Cor Azer

First Post
For a two years in high school, I had a psuedo- Feng Shui/zen/lucky charm relationship that corelated eeriely well with the number of Saturn vehicles on the road during the bus ride to school.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Just came across this girl who has the superpower of being able to say any word backwards instantly.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QnagEHw8gE&sns=em]Alyssa talking backwards - YouTube[/ame]

Strange, eh?

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
I can recall minute details of conversations and interactions I have with people...as long as those conversations and interactions are ENTIRELY banal and unimportant to the continued function of the universe. As soon as I have to remember something important or a task laid out for me by my wife...*whistle sound* in one ear and right out the other.

But the nice lady named Sharie that was my checkout clerk at the grocery store this morning had orange crocs on, brown short hair, was in her early to mid fifties and was concerned that she wouldn't be able to leave work early today to see her daughter and son in-law because some individual named Devon (Devin? not sure of spelling) hadn't confirmed if he could cover the afternoon portion of her shift (I overheard this in passing as she talked with a co-worker).

Meanwhile I forgot to pack a snack for my daughter for pre-school (AFTER my wife made the snack and told me not to forget to pack it) and left my son's diaper bag at home (AFTER he plaaaaced it in my hands) that was needed for daycare.

I think I would have a place beside the Invisible Boy from Mystery Men

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases