The Undiscovered Frontier (Finished!)

GlassEye

Adventurer
Arkos snaps his teeth at the gnoll threatening him.

[sblock=Actions/OOC]Standard bite: 1d20+12=13, 1d4+8=10 A one is always a miss, right? :(
Swift --
Free
[/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Arkos Stoneborn
Initiative: +1
AC: 12 (11 flat-footed, 12 Touch)
AC: (Predator) 16 (15 flat-footed, 12 Touch)
AC: (Aerial) 14 (13 flat-footed, 12 Touch)
HP: 47 Current: 35
Fort: +7 Reflex: +2 Reflex: (Aerial) +4 Will: +8
Speed: 30 ft., burrow 10 ft.
Speed: (Predator) 50 ft.
Speed: (Aerial) fly 40 ft. (good)

Current Weapon in Hand: in lizard form
Current Conditions in Effect:

Attacks
Spear +8 (1d6+7 /crit. x3)
Sling +4 (1d3 /crit. x2)
Bite (Predator) +12 (1d4+8 /crit. x2; as magic)
Talon (Aerial) +11 (1d4+7 /crit. x2; as magic)
Breath Weapon (1d8; bludgeoning; Ref 15 for half dmg.)
2 Tentacles (while in Predator) +10 (1d8+7) 10 ft. reach

Spells Prepared:
Spell Save: 14 +SL
3rd level: 2; cure moderate wounds, evard's menacing tentacles (PHB2)
2nd level: 3; barkskin, bull's strength, resist energy
1st level: 4; cure light wounds, faerie fire, goodberry, produce flame
orisons: 5; create water, cure minor wounds, detect magic, light, purify food & drink[/sblock]

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Lealani takes one large step just out of the reach of the gnoll next to her. Three small missiles materialize from her fingertips and fly through the air, striking their target true, the charging gnoll chieftain.

OOC: Lealani takes a 5 foot step then casts magic missile on the chieftain. My daughter is having surgery tomorrow so I'm not sure when I will be around for a few days, please feel free to make any adjustments to move her along with the group!

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Init:
Sarpot: 19
Arkos: 18
Lealani: 17
Gnolls: 13
Mellisande: 9
Nerin: 4

Map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...hkey=CLDnwrIM&hl=en_US&authkey=CLDnwrIM#gid=0

IC:

Arkos attacks a nearby gnoll, but he slips upon some of his own blood and ends up out of balance an ill-prepared for his opponents counter-attack (+1 bonus to next gnoll's attack on Arkos).

Lealani raises her arm, and blasts the gnoll chieftain who looks visibly surprised at her attack.

The chieftain raises a wand and counters with three bolts of his own. Sarpot, Nerin, and Arkos are all attacked, but only Arkos takes a blow to his side, and unfortunate strike that would not have otherwise made contact if Arkos had not been off balance ((-5 hps to Arkos). With a moan, Arkos falls to the gnoll and his body begins to twist back into that of a humanoid.

Arkos

OOC: Mellisande up. Arkos is at -4hps. GlassEye, please make a Consitution check to see if you stabilize.

I have just finished reviewing the combat round by round. I had mistakenly counted a strike against Nerin as a strike against Arkos in my notes. Arkos is not down, but is still alive. Also, Lealani had her girdle of shield up, which deflects the magic missiles of the Chieftain. So she takes no damage, but instead causes the Chieftain to snarl in frustration.

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
Nerin curses as Arkos falls. His instinct is to reach and heal him, but he knows with gnolls right next to him it will be dangerous. Suddenly and strangely realizing his magic will rescue Arkos from death's door, Nerin tries to clear out the remaining gnolls to make healing him safer. Nerin swings his sword once more.

OOC: Attacking G24. Cleave vs G5

GlassEye

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]
Arkos attacks a nearby gnoll, but he slips upon some of his own blood and ends up out of balance an ill-prepared for his opponents counter-attack (+1 bonus to next gnoll's attack on Arkos).

With a moan, Arkos falls to the gnoll and his body begins to twist back into that of a humanoid.

We're using a critical fumble mechanic?

Also, could you double-check those damages, please? My calculations show that Arkos has only taken 33 points of damage.[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
The chieftain's spell attack gets Mellisande's attention, and spots of light swirl and gather around her hands as she incants. She hurls them, and they swarm towards her targets like the contents of a mad hive of glowing hornets, quickly spreading out into a sparkling, blinding cloud of motes before finally settling down, coating everything in the area in still-gleaming residue.

(Glitterdust, aimed to catch G25, G26, GW1 and GC in the blast radius. Will DC 17, I think...I'll doublecheck...)

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
OOC: Sorry for the absence, but someone finally assigned a new partner to my office, so I am no longer working double shifts as I also got him fully trained. I actually had a full nights sleep for these last three days running. I am going to reconstruct the battle, round by round, and post the results so that we can keep up to what has happened so far. I will then post the next update. I am on break right now, so this should happen later today my time or early afternoon east coast time.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
You ran into one hunting party of gnolls earlier and easily dispatched them, though one of their members blew a horn and attracted four other groups. You tried to out run these new groups, but failed. Two of the groups were hunting parties similar in size and composition to the one you had first fought. They all have stats of the typical gnoll, though with cruder weapons and lower Will saves due to their barbarism. The final two groups were of a small scout party of a handful of gnolls and the tribal chieftain with his two warriors. It is these last two bands that showed up late to the battle after you nearly killed off the previous larger war parties.

Preparations:

The party prepared for the attack. Arkos shifted to lizard form. Lealani cast Summon Monster I to create a celestial dog. The dog would not last the duration of the spell. Lealani and Mellisande activated their girdles, which created a shield spell effect on each.
Lealani casts enlarge person on Nerin, which should last 5 minutes.

Init:
Sarpot: 19
Arkos: 18
Lealani: 17
Gnolls: 13
Mellisande: 9
Nerin: 4

Hit Points:

Sarpot: 50
Arkos: 47
Lealani: 26
Gnolls: 12 each. 24 gnoll hunters on the board.
Mellisande: 37
Nerin: 50

Round 1:
Lealani's celestial dog provides a short distraction, but is quickly killed. Arkos takes 7 hps of damage from one gnoll, while three others cut Nerin for a total of 16 hps of damage. After attack of opportunities are checked, two gnolls are found to have gotten some more strikes in. Arkos takes a further 5 hps while Nerin also loses 5 hps. Mellisande is cut for 7 hps.
Mellisande casts glitterdust on incoming gnolls. Lealani casts sleep.
Hit Points:

Arkos: 35 out of 47
Gnolls: 12 each. 18 gnoll hunters alive on the board, 6 killed, some injured, whelmed or glittery. One of the alive gnolls is unconscious because of a whelm spell and won't recover for hours.
Mellisande: 30 out of 37
Nerin: 29 out of 50

Round 2:
Lealani casts color spray wrecking havoc among a number of the gnolls. Arkos is surrounded and stabbed twice for 16 hps of damage.

Hit Points:

Arkos: 19 out of 47
Gnolls: 12 each. 13 gnoll hunters alive on the board, 11 killed, some injured, whelmed or glittery. One of the alive gnolls is unconscious because of a whelm spell and won't recover for hours. Four other of the alive gnolls are unconscious this round from color spray and will not wake until Round 9.

Round 3:
Lealani and Mellisande each casts another color spray. Sarpot takes a blow across his chest for 7 hps of damage.
Hit Points:

Sarpot: 43 out of 50
Gnolls: 12 each. 13 gnoll hunters alive on the board,but only 5 awake. 7 killed, some injured, whelmed or glittery. One of the alive gnolls is unconscious because of a whelm spell and won't recover for hours. Four other of the alive gnolls are unconscious this round from color spray and will not wake until Round 9. Four others are unconscious from the similar spells and won't wake until round 10.
Second pack of gnolls: 12 each. Same as the original, but only four of them in a scouting party and leading the chieftain's group.
Chieftain's pack w/ 2 warriors: Unknown hps at this time. These three are larger than their fellows. The Chief seems to be armed with a wand of magic missiles, like Lealani.

Round 4:

Sarpot kills a gnoll. Lealani fires a blast from her wand at the gnoll chieftain, injuring him. He whips out his own wand, but his return fire is deflected by her girdle's shield.
Sarpot: 43 out of 50
Gnolls: 12 each. 11 gnoll hunters alive on the board, but only 3 awake. 13 killed, some injured, whelmed or glittery. One of the alive gnolls is unconscious because of a whelm spell and won't recover for hours. Four other of the alive gnolls are unconscious this round from color spray and will not wake until Round 9. Four others are unconscious from the similar spells and won't wake until round 10.
Second pack of gnolls: 12 each. Same as the original, but only four of them in a scouting party and leading the chieftain's group.
Chieftain's pack w/ 2 warriors: Unknown hps at this time. These three are larger than their fellows. The Chief seems to be armed with a wand of magic missiles, like Lealani. He is injured from her blast.

So I just went through the entire combat round by round, and I owe Queenie and GlassEye a big apology. Arkos still has positive hit points and has not gone down. Often I use arbitrary 1 point penalties to AC or attack rolls after critical misses for the gnolls, but I just realized that I opted out of doing so in this campaign since I wanted to move combat along faster. So Arkos is not hit. Further, even if Arkos was hit, he would have had enough hit points to stay up. Lealani's shield deflects magic missiles and she is still unharmed. We are in Round 4 and the gnolls have just acted. If Mellisande or Nerin wish to redo their actions, I will allow it. Otherwise, I'll keep their current actions into account and move on from here. If anyone notices any other errors I made, please let me know. In my defense, the last month was rough on me, schedule-wise, but is getting much better now.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases