The Undiscovered Frontier (Finished!)

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
[MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION] [MENTION=51271]Voda Vosa[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION]

Well, I got motivated to write again and so am listening to Michael Hoenig’s Baldur’s Gate soundtracks while I finish this part 1 of 2 portion of the ending out. Music helps. Oh, and I had three different possible adventure paths in mind depending on the party’s actions. This one was in case you lost a battle or were otherwise captured. It allowed me to up the danger in places by giving you one way out should the dice not be in your favor…
----
The realization of their predicament and the call to retreat came much too late. The small party of heroes showed that they were a force to be reckoned with in a deadly serious manner, as their explosive fireballs slew and badly injured the yuan-ti forces. But those same yuan-ti that survived lobbed their own grenades back amongst the party. It was the badly wounded Arkos who had fallen after that as he used his body to shield the Myconid podling. To leave their comrade behind was unthinkable, so Nerin carried Arkos onto his back while the badly wounded comrades continued a defensive attack.

Who was the next to go down? Who was the last? In the grand scheme it didn’t matter, for no manner of maneuvering would have saved the adventurers. There was the Betrayer above them in his armed, flying platform, seeing all and directing sorties from both inside the ziggurat and outside in the thick immediate jungles while dropping fireballs of his own. The heroes fought valiantly, but ultimately succumbed first to great pain, then the welcoming black gloom of troubled sleep.
In the darkness each hero continued to fall into a weightless void, alone in the dark for ages immeasurable. And within that eternal darkness came a yearning for some sort of contact, a touch of another voice to verify that the hero still existed and was not in some horrid limbo. That yearning was punctuated by strange moments where could be felt a clammy arm, or overly large black eyes staring forth from breathing masks and strangely-shaped heads. Then darkness again, but now a voice spoke into the mind of the hero. No, not a voice, but pure thought making contact and forming sentences more through impressions than actually words. And as the hero focused on that alien mind the hero found limbo recede slightly and he/she standing on an odd, rocky world with a chill breeze, and a night sky illuminated by two large purple moons, a smaller red one, and starry constellation the likes had never been imagined by man. A strange tune could be barely heard, like the constant humming of a million voices joined in a shared lullaby.

“Yes, you are alone. You were always alone. Your sad people could never help but be alone, lacking the ability to share their minds across endless space. And so you are dangerous, and will always be dangerous until you are made to join the Song. As it is you can barely perceive it, even with the help of others.”

The hero had many questions, but focused on one. Who was this invasive mind?
“You still perceive in the singular. You do not understand. Cannot understand. But to your question, does it matter who we are? We have much wisdom to show you, if you are ready.”

The hero grew angry. The hero remembered being attacked, hurt and crawling near comrades who called out for help. The hero wanted to know where they were and if they survived.

“Stubborn and strong. This is surprising. They keep surprising. But they must learn to accept us, or else the void…”

And the hero fell once more, into timeless space and darkness until the need for contact again became almost unbearable. The hero almost begged the voice and Song to return; to confirm existence and sanity. But another part refused to give in, and decided that it was better to be forever alone than give in to this sadistic mind that tormented and demanded obedience.

“No, not alone,” a friendlier, familiar voice said. “I’m here. I was never alone, and neither were you. We were always together.”

The hero focused on the voice, and his/her feet found purchase again on rocky earth and alien sky, with the Song lower and even less indiscernible in the background. It was Lealani who smiled at each of her companions, while they grinned back as they saw each other in turn, well and alive. “I heard you calling out and I found you. It was easy once I put my mind to it. ”

“So it was,” Sarpot agreed. “This turn of events feels to me like some sort of Sathar trick. But where are we now? This doesn’t seem like the SS Warden.”

“No, I doubt it is. Something tells me this is a Sathar world,” Mellisande added. “Look at the terrain and weird plants.”

“And the stars and the moon,” Nerin adds. “They are strange, but beautiful. And I bet if we study those stars long enough we can build a reasonable three-dimensional stellar chart. In fact, I bet I could pinpoint where this world is just by studying the sky. I don’t know why, but I feel I understand how to travel the stars and that given a ship, I could find my way somewhere close to here, but with the number of worlds in an area it would still be hard to determine the exact planet.”

Arkos then piped in. “No it wouldn’t be. This world has distinct fauna. If I was to study them some more and the atmosphere, I could determine their gaseous output and take a guess at the color the planet would have from space. Working together, we could easily determine where this is, and if it is the Sathar homeworld we…”

stop!

The word was like a small hammer blow to the brain, causing the heroes to shudder. They turned and noticed the presence of three odd humanoids wearing breathing apparatuses. “Stop. You surprise us once again, but this knowledge is not meant for you. Forget it and return to your rest. You have exhausted both your minds and bodies in this pursuit and further exertions may prove harmful.”
The party felt a sudden wave of exhaustion, but Nerin ignored the feeling and pressed on. “So we are on a Sathar world. Why should you care if we look to the sky? We cannot leave without a ship, and so our knowledge is useless.”

The Sathar stopped communicating, as if unsure how to proceed. It was Lealani who made the realization and fought the suggestion to rest in her anger. “Because we are not on a Sathar world, are we? This is all in our minds, a projection of what this world looked like. A memory perhaps, or a shared vision in your telepathic network. This is how you indoctrinate humans that came before.”

Sarpot cut in next, his belligerence shattering the remnants of the sleep suggestion as he took several mental steps in this unreality to shout into the faces of his Sathar captives, “If you can show worlds, I want to see my home next. Show me Earth! Show me what you have down to my home!”

The trio shifted uneasily, and in Sarpot’s mind he could sense their fear. Unconsciously, because of his demand, they thought of Earth, and the heroes saw the landscape melt and shift to something new. A beautiful blue sky and green fields tended by hard-working, but dirty and glassy-eyed fellow humans. It was a vision of Earth. Sarpot’s first thought was the stunning beauty of the land around him, but a second more devious thought struck him. “So the Sathar cannot handle anger well in their telepathic connections. This is good to know, and so very useful.”

“Earth,” Arkos said next, as stunned as the rest of his companions. “Yes, the flora seems right, as does the sky. But there is something wrong with the people.”

Lealani answered, “Brainwashed perhaps. Or more likely under mental control, but I cannot fathom how they could control a large population constantly like this. They do not see us, but it is good to know that they are alive. I keep thinking that this might not be a memory of the Sathar, after all. I think we are seeing through the eyes of other Sathars through their telepathic link.”

Nerin mused, “But they are alive, and it might be possible to break the link if we can get to Earth. I just need to get to a ship. The SS Warden itself perhaps, or some other craft. With a ship at my controls I can get us there and we can save them. We can save all of enslaved humanity.”

Mellisande chirped, “But if we are in the network, can’t we just do it from inside. The Sathar have somehow linked minds to their Song, which in turn allows them to make suggestions or create outright control. All we have to do is alter the Song so it doesn’t touch some humans. Like Lealani said, once you visualize it, it becomes easy.” And Mellisande reached out and pointed to a dozen of the field workers, who suddenly threw off their glassy-eyed stares and looked around in confusion as if seeing the world around them for the first time.

Stop!

The minds of the three Sathar hit the heroes again, causing the vision to swim once more. Now they were no longer on Earth, but floating in a strange, infinite void filled with stars.

“Will you stop doing that,” Sarpot shouted back angrily, his own mental attack stunning the trio for a brief moment. The Song was becoming easier to manipulate.

The Sathar’s fear was thick. “We pleaded for you to stop, demanded even, yet you persist. We do not know how you are doing this, but you have done damage. Not irreparable damage, but damage nonetheless. Now we threaten. Your bodies are still on the Warden, under our care. Though your minds are powerful in this plane of existence, they will still die if your bodies were eliminated. If you do not immediately sever yourselves from the Song and to the connection you share with one another, we will terminate you. We will now have other Sathar in the Song join with us to make a stronger suggestion for you to rest.”

And suddenly the Song grew in pitch and fever as the stars grew brighter and other Sathar from across space added their own will to the three in front of the party. A beautiful orchestra punctuated by flashes from a stellar lightshow, drowning out almost all thought with its lullaby.

“The Song,” Mellisande said in wonder. She could no longer sense anything else but the Song, not even the nearby Sathar or her companions. Yet she would not give into the suggestion of sleep, either. The Song was too interesting a thing to study. “At first it’s beautiful, but then you realize that there is something sadly missing. It’s like finding out that an entire section of an orchestra is missing. The Song isn’t a complete song. It’s a tragic fragment. A shattered sliver of what once was something much larger and more beautiful; leaving emptiness. It can never be restored no matter how the Sathar desperately try, but with the combined thoughts of so many Sathar joined with us, an imperfect memory of it can be heard.” And suddenly the melody changed, and the party understood what she meant by an incomplete orchestra as suddenly there were new sounds.

And across regions of Sathar space there was a stunned, mournful pause as countless minds listened and shrieked in mental anguish over the memory of what was lost...

STOP!

The heroes found themselves in their bodies once more, laying under medical equipment on cold, metal slabs. They were still armed and equipped, for they were no longer considered a threat once under the care of the three Sathar that writhed painfully in front of them. The mental link somehow remained enough for the heroes to understand their basic thoughts. They are not human! What are they! Too dangerous to ignore! Too dangerous to let live! Kill them! Kill them!

The Sathar on the left was the first to recover, and he reached for a dangerous rod that Lealani instantly recognized as a Rod of Distintegration. One touch would likely outright destroy any of her companions. She quickly cast a magic missile to stun it, but it barely held onto life as it tried to raise the rod again. She opened her mouth to shout a warning, but then realized that her companions still shared the mental rapport even now that they had been forcibly ejected from the Song.

“Don’t worry, I got this,” Nerin said to her and the other heroes through his own mentally projected words, and in an instant he jumped forward, drew his blade, and severed the arm of the stunned Sathar before it could raise its weapon. It fell, bleeding out from multiple wounds.

Sarpot did not turn to see how his companions were doing. In his mind, he could see their success through the telepathic link. “I got the one on the right. Mellisande and Arkos, take the center.” Sarpot fatally blasted his target, while Mellisande used her magic to stun the last of the trio. Arkos struck it next, just below the jugular, killing it.

The party was victorious, but shared a feeling of stunned emotion through their telepathic link. Arkos said, “It seems the Sathar woke something in us. There are some implications here that I am beginning to understand. Give me a moment to piece it together.”

“Sure, but let me say that I’m not too keen on sharing thoughts with Sarpot. He has no appreciation for the arts,” Mellisande said with a half-smile.

“Well, you actually seem to have to focus mentally to be able to use our new link, and I can also focus on leaving it I’ve just found. I seem to have a talent for this and think I can teach you some tricks,” Lealani suggested.

“Later,” Nerin answered. “Right now let’s get out of here. I just looked out the door to this medical facility and found a large lift that looks to be in the center of this structure. I’ve a feeling, or perhaps a woken memory, that it goes up to GAIA.”
Sarpot smiled and said, “Good! Maybe we can get some answers. Let’s go before any more of these things show up.”

The heroes took the lift, realizing as they climbed that they were in a vertical tube that lay in the center of the Life Tree which provided sustenance to the land below. As they rode up, they saw the front of the ziggurat was the scene of a recent battle. Many yuan-ti, wolfmen, and Myconids lay dead on the field, and golems broken and destroyed. Although the losses were large on both sides, it was clear it was Myconid which was wiped out. Lealani touched Arkos’ shoulder and said, “They came to save us. Arkos, I’m so sorry.”

“Yeah. Me too.” Arkos could not turn his head away from the sight and stood in bitter silence. He felt the pod he carried shudder in despair through his new psychic link. Soon it would become Myconid. Perhaps the only Myconid left. ”I’ll protect you. Soon I will find a place for you,” he promised as he patted his new companion. The pod settled down, reassured, and Arkos heard its reply. ”My place is with Father. Father cares. Father protects.”

The lift finally stopped at its destination, and the doors opened into a cool, gray, perfectly formed passage made entirely of steel. In front of them was a huge door with the lettering ‘G.A.I.A’. “Well, that’s great but how do we get in,” Sarpot asked.

Suddenly a beam shot forth from a glass panel in the center of the door. “I recognize the following ranking members of the SS Warden staff: Captain Nara Singhe, Lieutenant Commander Kodar Kisharm, Major Marshall Potter, Captain Marcus Leazan, Anya Loki, Trevor Sander, Yuki Shotenboc, Jacques d'Arc, Melissa Athens, Doctor Sarah Granmerest. But I sense only five standing entities.” Arkos snorted, as if those words confirmed something he was pondering. The entity continued, “I am confused, but will follow my directives. Welcome, senior staff of the SS Warden. Please enter.” And with that, the great door lifted, releasing dust and stale air into the passageway.

Arkos was the first to walk in, muttering in disgust, “We’re just children. Or adults that never got to be children.”
---
To be concluded…

Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
OOC: [MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION] , sorry to see you go, but I understand how hectic things can get. At this point I think we should all stop. One of the reasons I haven't posted is because I was mulling over whether to call a halt and how to do it. I have a very long narrative I've been drafting about the events that are about to unravel, and you are at the last major battle before where I wanted to end the adventure anyway. Instead of rolling dice to finish this up, I can just narrate how I see the events likely to go and finish it up in one huge post or in a series of shorter posts.

I also have to apologize, obviously REALLY late :blush: Life just got extremely hectic, to the point where I've been too tired to even get online. Not that I have many, but all my games have fallen behind, I can't even keep up with my emails! So, it wasn't your game at all, I do so love them DT. This story surprised me from the beginning and I've loved it, even if my own actions haven't shown it.

I absolutely LOVE what you've written up and I am really happy to finally have a game that has a conclusion!! You are a great writer with a lot of imagination and I appreciate that. Can't wait to see the ending!!

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I was just glad you guys stuck with it so long despite your schedules. I have the rough outline for the last part, but I have three straight weeks of work coming up with no weekends, and work and a two-week class when I return. I promise I will get it done, but it might be awhile depending on when I can get free.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Yeah, we weren't expecting health issue after health issue to take up all our time!

That's a lot of work without a break! I hope it calms down for you soon. In the meanwhile, we anxiously await the ending :)

Shayuri

First Post
Sorry it's taken me so long to chime in, but I really do appreciate the time and effort you put into that.

It's nice to have closure. Very nice. Especially such dramatic closure.

Thanks. :)

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Arkos was the first to walk in, muttering in disgust, “We’re just children. Or adults that never got to be children.”

“Explain,” thundered a metallic, hollow voice from inside the dark chamber ahead. The doors slid closed once more as the heroes entered, their footsteps echoing on the smooth, steel floor. Dim light was provided via several machines with flickering lights and by a large, glowing red lens resting high on the far wall. The red lens flickered and moved in a manner resembling an eye falling upon the group. Once more the voice bellowed, “Explain.”

Arkos understood the request and gestured to the others while he answered. “Gaia, we are the children of the CS Warden staff, or perhaps the genetic clones of them. I am Arkos, this here is Mellisande, over there is Sarpot, the tall one is Nerin, and last but not least is Lealani. I believe that if you were to examine us closely you would find the genetic imprints of our parents among us.”

A crimson beam of light issued forth from the red lens and traced a pattern over each of the heroes. “Mellisande has the imprint of Melissa Athens, Keeper of the Arts and musical prodigy. Also of Doctor Trevor Sander, renowned robotics engineer and computer programmer. Sarpot has the genetic code of Marshall Potter, CS Warden Chief of Security, and of Sarah Grammerest, ship psychologist. Arkos, you have the genetic imprint of Jacques d’Arc, the Warden’s expert on Alien Biology. Also, of Yuki Shotenboc, who wrote several journals on Earth Plant Biology and Terraforming. Lealani, I detect DNA traces of Marcus Leazan in you, the ship Meterologist and travelogue journalist. And of Anya Loki, the ship Physicist. And Nerin has the genetic sequence of Nara Singhe, CS Warden Pilot and that of Kedar Kisharm, CS Warden Navigator. It would seem that you are their human children, the few that survived the attack on the nursery, but I also detect among you many more dormant human genetic strings and also a large range of non-human genetic strings from various species, both animal and plant.”

“Watch it, pal. I’m all man,” Sarpot growled.

The voice paused for a moment, briefly unsure how to proceed. “No offense was meant, Sarpot. The genetic strings I detected are rarely active in your genetic makeup, and those that have been activated seemed to have been done in order to enhance certain attributes of yours such as heightened strength or intelligence. It seems that the primary purpose of the genetic coding was to make you into a walking DNA library. I theorize that you were altered in this way so that your native colony of Luna would not be completely obliterated by the Sathar threat. There was some talk of this before. It was only theoretical at the time, but was named the Metamorphosis Alpha project.”

Mellisande reasoned, “So we are the key to revitalizing not only our people, but our world. But we do not need to do so. What we need to do is push the Sathar out from the CS Warden and find the survivors.”

Gaia responded, “I detect there are no longer any human survivors outside of you five. The remaining non-Sathar species have recently been reduced to numbers that make their continued survival doubtful. Further, the CS Warden has been trapped inside a wormhole for decades, and the power supplies I have been managing as the Geological/Biological Artificial Intelligence and Analysis system are near exhaution due to overuse and age. We were not meant to travel this long without maintenance service and retrofits.”

“The CS Warden was one of a dozen colony ships attempting to escape the incursions into the Terra Star System. Because the CS Warden was a generation ship, it had been already travelling for a long time in the search for habitable systems. The crew went into hibernation stasis pods once the CS Warden opened a wormhole for the jump into its new target star system, one that the other colony ships had already made the safe jump towards. Unbeknown to the crew, a Sathar ship had followed it and docked with the ship. Most of the spent decades went by as the long-lived Sathar tried to enter the ship, but were pushed back by the ship defensive system. Unfortunately, the computer running the ship defenses was intelligent enough to defend against boarders, but not intelligent enough to send war robots into the Sathar vessel in order to retaliate. This meant that the Sathar would spend many years designing and constructing their own war machines to broach the Warden. There was always the assumption that an attempt to board the Warden would occur during combat operations where the crew would be awake and active, so there was no protocol for the ship’s defensive computer to try and awaken the crew, nor was there an attempt to inform me, so that I could release the many hundreds of human farmers and workers in the biosphere levels who might also have assisted. Eventually the Sathar figured out how to reprogram the human machines and began to move further into the ship. A red alert was called, and I took over defensive operations as my programming was allowed greater latitude to examine the situation. First, I turned worker robots into makeshift fighting robots and increased production on a new line of war machines that were to be stored in the biosphere levels. When my efforts did not suffice, I began to use the Metamorphosis Alpha project to create creatures who could fight the Sathar, but had trouble developing them in great enough numbers to be effective. Then I woke the human crew who in turn began to arm the biosphere humans and teach the developed mutations. Every action seemed to come a bit too late as all we succeeded in doing was delay the inevitable. The CS Warden core is failing, our defenses have collapsed, and it is only a matter of time before the Sathar gain access to the navigation files I have hidden in order to leave the wormhole. Once out of the wormhole, they will find the last coordinates of space in which the human colony ships had fled, and finish off mankind. Which is why I am prepared to overload the core and destroy both this ship and the connected Sathar vessel.”

“And what of us?” Nerin demanded. “I refuse to just roll over and die after all this fighting. You can give up if you wish, but at least allow us the chance to attack the Sathar and win the day.”

Gaia responded, “The only reason I have not overloaded the core is because of you. You are here, and that itself is a small victory. I have a ship waiting for you in the docking bay near here. It has a small bit of weaponry and scientific exploration equipment on board as it was used by your parents to observe planets and their suitability for life. If you can make it to the ship, I will initiate the navigation sequence which will terminate the wormhole and deliver us into normal space. You will have only a short window to escape before I finish the countdown to detonation. And you must hurry. As we have been talking, I have sensed increased robotic and Sathar activity in the nearby halls.” The doors behind the heroes slid open once more.

“Thank you, Gaia. We won’t let you down,” Lealani promised.

“I am a machine, Ms. Lealani. I am not ever ‘let down’. However, I am sure your parents would have been pleased to know that you all, and therefore the genetic history of the colony planet of Venus, still survives.”

“As does the hope for mankind, if I have anything to say about it. Let’s go,” Nerin demands.

The group quickly traversed the corridors, guided by flickering lights that traced arrows along the floor, courtesy of Gaia. With this help they were able to navigate through most of the new combat patrols all the way to the sealed doors leading to the docking bay. But there, standing proudly with his hands clasped behind his back, stood Andvari the Betrayer. He looked upon the five somberly and said, “This is one of several sealed doors we had not yet accessed, but I had guessed Gaia might have let you to actually meet with her, and therefore she might allow you into the exploration ship. It was a slight chance, but with catastrophic implications. I suppose this means she has the means of letting you escape? And if so, that she plans to blow up the ship before allowing the Sathar loose. She told me the last bit of her thoughts when we were still on speaking terms. In happier times.”

“Andvari, step aside. Gaia also explained that the Sathar had manipulated the machines on this ship. They likely altered your programming and turned you against humanity. You must understand that your current reasoning comes from the Sathar and not from yourself,” Mellisande stated firmly.

“You think I’ve been twisted, then? Perhaps I have been. I have long wondered about that myself, but the Sathar have shown me the larger picture. The Sathar empire stretches across numerous systems, and they are truly powerful. And yet, there are other threats out there that even the Sathar fear and that humanity cannot yet face. If humanity could not stand against the Sathar, how would it face the K’kree? The Mechanons? The Dark? The Sathar would enslave humanity for their labor and resources, but in doing so humanity might survive what is coming and could free itself in the future. There is nothing to be gained by humanity losing, but weakening the Sathar so that even that chance for survival is gone.”

Sarpot cracked his knuckles on both fists as he approached, “Enough of this. He’s stalling and we’ve got more patrols coming. Let’s end it.”

Andvari crouched into a fighting stance and answered, “You are right. I am stalling and two nearby patrols are nearly here. I doubt I can fight all five of you at once, but I am willing to die for my belief.” The android leapt forth with a metal fist encased in silicone flesh and danced with the weapons of the heroes. It was a deadly, but quick fight, and although Andvari was able to regenerate, what he wasn’t able to do was repair the damage from Sarpot’s decapitating strike.

Sarpot grabbed the android’s head and stared into the light of its fading eyes. “And so, in the end, you finally know failure.”

“You can talk to his head and ponder deep thoughts later. We’ve got company,” Arkos said as he tossed a grenade down the corridor, resulting in a large fireball and the sound of twisting metal. “Looks like several golems or warbots or whatever.”

The doors to the docking bay opened and the party raced through, dodging the laser blasts that followed them. Just as quickly, the doors slammed shut, but the sounds of blasting and metal went unabated. It was unknown if the sealed door could hold forever, but the heroes took no chances, approaching a sleek assault scout with the words ‘Warden’s Hope’ etched on the side. They entered the lowered ramp and took positions inside the vessel. Mellisande sat at the computer system monitoring power and system status, touching the keys fondly as she absorbed the interface. Sarpot sat in front of weapons targeting and controls, grinning ear to ear as he checked out the laser batteries and fully equipped missile racks. Arkos made himself comfortable at the science section, where he was able to safely stow his nearly ready Myconid spore. Lealani took over communications for now, but took note of where the planetary scanning equipment was for future use. And Nerin sat in the captain’s chair , his weapon placed to lean on a nearby terminal.

“Powering up systems, Captain,” Mellisande informed Nerin as her genetically instilled memories took a life of its own.

“Sensors online. I am detecting a power surge in the SS Warden’s core. Also changes in the Warden’s engine signatures indicate that the wormhole termination sequence is commencing,” Arkos announced.

“And will you look at that,” Lealani announced as she put the ship’s camera view onto the front screen of the bridge. There they could see the docking bay open and the strange ether of wormhole space flickering in front of them.

“We won’t have long now. I’m getting us out of here,” Nerin announced. The ship lifted with almost complete grace, his own installed memories making his piloting of the scout come second nature. The ship left the docking bay as the CS Warden began to shudder.

“All our weapons point forward, but you keep us pointing away from the two ships until the explosion. If the Sathar survive, you’re going to need to turn us back around so I can try to take a shot. Hopefully, the Sathar have forgotten how to defend their vessel after all this time,” Sarpot said grimly.

With that a section of wormhole space budded open and Nerin guided the ship out just as Arkos announced, “Take evasive. I detect two large explosions from behind us. The CS Warden and the Sathar ship.

Nerin took heed, driving the assault scout into a 90 degree angle change of direction. Shrapnel flying at high velocity through space could tear holes in the ship if they made contact. After a few moments the crew began to feel safe and elated while they stared in wonder at the star-filled blackness of space on their view screen.

“It’s beautiful,” Mellisande said. “We did it! We made it out, but to where?”

“I am detecting several solar systems within range of our jump drives. If humanity did survive out here long enough to settle, we should be able to detect which ones are populated through energy signatures and traces of ion emissions from ships. It shouldn’t take too long,” Arkos suggested as he began to studiously work out the details at his terminal.

“Communication signals, too,” Lealani stated. “In fact, I’m receiving a signal now a short distance away from us broadcast on multiple frequencies. Putting it on ship view screen now.”

On the screen could be seen a mature female human in a gray jumpsuit. Her head was bleeding from a wound and responders were putting out a fire behind her. Most of the remaining bridge crew were human, but there were also several odd beings that the heroes would later identify as Vrusk, Dralasite and Yazirian. “This is Free Trader Beowulf <static>.. we are <static> attacked by <static> pirates. There are no UPF military <static> in this sector. We <static> help… Please someone… <static> can’t hold <static> much longer...”

Mellisande took a quick look at her terminal and said, “Captain, I calculate we can make it there in minutes. Even less if you don’t mind straining the engines, which I assure you I can fix afterwards.”

Nerin answered, “Make it so, Lieutenant Commander. Lieutenant Sarpot, ready your weapons. I want you to focus laser batteries at the threats when we come into range. Hold off from engaging with missiles until we are sure the pirate vessels are standing off at a range that will make them safe to employ without endangering the Beowulf. Commander Arkos, keep your sensors trained and let me know how many of the bastards are out there. Lieutenant Lealani, patch me into their communications.”

“Free Trader Beowulf, this is Captain Nerin Kordsarm of the Warden’s Hope. Come in Free Trader Beowulf, can you hear me? Hang in there Beowulf, help is one the way!”

500px-Star_frontiers_assault_scout_by_jaythurman-d7g820s.jpg

OOC: [MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION] [MENTION=51271]Voda Vosa[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION]
Thanks for playing!

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Hee hee! Nice Traveller reference. :)

Now you have to run THAT. (^_^)

Thanks for the game. I still remember it, and it was great fun.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases