Help me build a tank!

wolff96

First Post
Systole, StreamOfTheSky -- You'll not find me disagreeing on the quality of Armored Hulk compared to the other options.

Still, not all groups optimize to the same degree (I often make sub-optimal choices not to outshine the other players at my table, who don't spend as much time with the system as I do.) I was merely pointing out the option.

Besides, even if it *is* a fighter with Rage instead of other options, it does have a few other advantages for tanking -- d12 HD, extra HP from Rage, Raging Vitality (for even MORE HP), and Rage Powers that can heal/remove/ignore damage, ability score penalties, and negative levels.

If you want to build a tank as someone that can survive virtually anything the DM can throw at the party, Barbarian really isn't a bad way to go -- you just have to accept that you're using *lots* of Rage Powers and feats on things like Regenerative Vigor instead of doing more damage.

Dang... Now I have to actually put one together and see what he looks like at higher levels. :p

Dingo333

First Post
There is another option I am exploring atm.

A Staff magus can get a really high AC quite quickly and still do decent damage.

At 7th level, you lose the ability you would have gotten (to wear medium armor and still cast spells) and gain a "shield" bonus to your ac = to the enhancement bonus on your quarter staff.

That includes the bonus from your arcane pool. My character has +2 studded leather, 20 Dex (Elf) +1 ring of protection, +1 amulet of natural armor and a +2 quarterstaff. Adding in Combat expertise (-2 att, +2 dodge AC) and arcane pool I have an AC of 28 at level 7. I am also going for tripping and have a +14 to trip (improved and greater, maneuver mastery Trip, 16 Str) Add +6 for the staff and -2 for combat expertise at level 9 and he is a tripping fiend

In your OP you said you like spell casters, this is another option in lines you are more familiar with

acorania

First Post
I have been thinking it might be fun to run a Summoner as the tank (that is, your eidelon would be doing the tanking). You can definitely get your AC through the roof with those little guys. And if you are used to running casters you aren't far from home either.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases