[PR] EN World Print Magazine to be Published by Goodman Games

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
goodmangames said:
On this topic, though: What would people LIKE to see? What was your favorite era of Dragon? If you could balance a magazine's contents exactly as you'd like, what would you do?

I'd love to see some our best story hours written up for the magazine. Speaking as someone who hasn't read the fiction section of DRAGON in nearly 20 years, I still would love to see stories from the game table; it's the knowledge that the writers were gamers, talking about an actual session, that would spur my interest. It's one of the things that makes this community really special, and I think you need to put that forward (especially since you're wisely not including news and reviews, which are other things that makes ENworld special).

In a similar vein, perhaps have a column on messageboard topics that have provoked high-quality discussion, quoting and summarizing what was discussed. Include links to them so they can be read in full (although the URLs would be too unwieldly - maybe point them to a URL that will link to the threads within the boards).

Revive the "TSR Profles" line of articles, and write them about designers and artists throughout the d20 community.

Don't be afraid to include feats, spells, and the like in *future* issues, *if they're good.*

From what you've said so far, I think you're on the right track, and avoiding the mistakes of several others that have tried the d20 magazine thing, and failed.

My $20 is waiting...

Eosin the Red

First Post
I have an idea -

Have a contest to design a world within the pages of the magazine. (I know, this one seems familiar). No, really. Have or select someone and let them loose into the world of RPG design.

They would write articles about the world they are designing. They would have companion articles about the issues that have cropped up while trying to design it. The first section would be similar to DungeonCraft, while the second gets into things like discussions with artists and negotiating prices. They should be required to do the leg work for every step of development (pricing paper, distribution, ect). The mag can have a set cost for development and maximum time frame in which the gamer has to completly flesh out his world. The writer would recieve standard rates and Goodman games reserves the rights to publish. We could have some good spirited fun here at ENworld in the form of a pool to see if it will actually get done :D

Am I crazy? It seems cool to me. I would love to read about some neophytes discovery of all the real issues in publishing.

ced1106

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: [PR] EN World Print Magazine to be Published by Goodman Games

goodmangames said:
On this topic, though: What would people LIKE to see? What was your favorite era of Dragon? If you could balance a magazine's contents exactly as you'd like, what would you do?

Personally, I'd like to see fewer glory projects (campaign settings, new classes, new magic items, new monsters, adventures) and less crunchy bits. They're already glutting the market and I don't buy them.

I would like to see more game aids that make GM'ing easier. Tokens, battlemaps, etc. One idea is, instead of advertising, contact d20 publishers of highly recommended in-print adventures, and create tokens and battlemaps for their adventures. I'd also like NPCs and encounters that can be dropped right into an adventure.

I'd also like to see GM (and player) advice. Perhaps work with RoleplayingTips.com so you don't reinvent the wheel.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

goodmangames

First Post
Eosin the Red said:
I have an idea -

Have a contest to design a world within the pages of the magazine. (I know, this one seems familiar). No, really. Have or select someone and let them loose into the world of RPG design.
Am I crazy? It seems cool to me. I would love to read about some neophytes discovery of all the real issues in publishing.

You know, that IS a really cool idea. Hmm... :)

Krug

Newshound
Re: Re: Re: Re: [PR] EN World Print Magazine to be Published by Goodman Games

Crothian said:

I agree that feats and prestige classes are not needed. My gaming book selves are already overrunning with these things.

Funny how you can have too many feats and prestige classes, but not too many spells or monsters... ;)

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
support for modern worlds, futuristic worlds as well as super heros stuff..fantasy is nice but there is so much more for the future that is out there tha isn't covered that would be great to see...

That and seeing other gaming systems such as GW, Palladium, etc in this mag..always nice to see what else is out there to look at..

PS I vote for NOT having a book of PrC's, feats, skills, etc...Core Classes would be nice but not needed..

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Cool - glad to see people are interested. :)

I'm in the process of whipping up a web page with submission guidelines, subscription info and all the other stuff which is being asked here. I should have it ready in the next day or two.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [PR] EN World Print Magazine to be Published by Goodman Games

Krug said:

Funny how you can have too many feats and prestige classes, but not too many spells or monsters... ;)

Actually, I was fed up with spells and monsters first. However, if done creatively we can have more.

JoeBlank

Explorer
I am in for a subscription, sight unseen.

Although I actually like a lot of the "crunch" in Dragon, it will be nice to have this magazine as a compliment to the "official" one, rather than just more of the same thing.

Dark Psion

First Post
Things I would like to see:

Icons: Create a NPC from 1st level to 20th, highlighting his progression every five levels.

Story Hour: Short stories that show us gaming stats from the PC point of view. Imagine a Druid just gained Wild Shape, the Player just writes it on his sheet and he is done, but what exactly happens to the Druid? A story could show how he learns from animals.

Feats, Prestige Classes & Spells: You have to include them, but let's look for those that are atypical, that real stand out as different or bring something new to the game.

Articles like Dragon #299: Knights & Paladins. No feats or PrCs, just new rules that apply to everyone.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases