[PR] EN World Print Magazine to be Published by Goodman Games

Asathas

First Post
Skills... but not what you think

Don't add skills... heck, I've seen a lot of discussions suggesting that it's very doubtful you can find a skill that doesn't fit into the existing system.

But, discussing the skills that are there in depth would be wonderful. Do a series of articles with each one tackling a single skill and exploring it in depth. Possibly include things like new uses for the skill, aid for the players and DM in identifying when the skill should be checked, example DC's, possible skill synergies, rules alterations (crafting time variant rules comes to mind) etc...

Additionally, and this is one area where it would be cool to pull from the host of D20 publishers you'll be working with, include with the article a comprehensive list of the "New Uses for Old Skills" that have come out from various publishers.

I know that for me, and my players for that matter, real information on skills with some good meat on it would be incredible. So basically, I'm hoping for articles on skills where the article is the authority on that skill and what you can do with it.

Asathas

First Post
One more thing...

I don't know about anyone else, but personally I would pay a few bucks extra if I could get a version of the magazine that came with a CD containing a PDF version of the magazine. You could even throw on it additional material from other publishers.

I like being able to print just a single article (or page even) to include in the gaming materials for the particular session I'll need it in.

Arnwyn

First Post
THG Hal said:

Well we could definately help in that area:D .
So is this something you would like to see more POI's Places of Interest usable in any campaign setting?

Heck, yes. These days I won't buy anything that has a focus on feats, prestige classes, spells, or magic items. I'm done with that. Anyone can play with just the 3 core books - however, you *always* need a location to play in.

That's what I'm interested in (my favourite thing in Dragon Mag is Elminster's Guide to the Realms - a location every month!). I prefer *mapped* villages, towns, cities, inns, taverns, manors, small regions (a *small* valley or pastoral region).

(That's pretty much the reason why I only buy adventures for the last little while - and for the forseeable future.)

Ashy

First Post
Article length?

Morrrus, et. al:

You mention a finite number of pages (obviously) but the submission guidelines say nothing about an average of final article length? What are you fellows looking for in terms of a final word count in an average article? That might help some of us judge if and/or when we will be able to contribute! :)

Thanks! :)

gorgon1964

First Post
professionalism

As this is not negotiable, if you are unhappy with this arrangement, please don't waste both your time and ours by pursuing an enquiry.
We may well edit your article, or even incorporate it in some way with another. Please remember this, and don't get upset if we do so.
You might want to leave out these personal hangups. It makes it sound like it's a high school publication. Any writer worth his salt will know these things.

Also, the rights issue. No magazine keeps rights to articles. Magazine authors ALWAYS keep their copyrights.

And the straight 30 dollar payment is also ridiculous. At 3 cents a word that's a 1000 word article. Or maybe two pages of print. If you want to keep the article length down pay 3 cents a word. Or hell even 2 cents but don't make it a straight fee.

Much of this sounds as if you think you're doing writers a favor. You're not.

Re: professionalism

gorgon1964 said:
And the straight 30 dollar payment is also ridiculous. At 3 cents a word that's a 1000 word article. Or maybe two pages of print. If you want to keep the article length down pay 3 cents a word. Or hell even 2 cents but don't make it a straight fee.
It more than ridiculous, it's unfair. A 1000 word article detailing an interesting NPC would be paid the same amount as a new spell subsyste, weighing in at 10,000 words.

Actually, I'm still waiting to hear how much OGC will go into the mag. If I were to submit anything, I would only submit a 100% OGC article, just like all my other publications.

Joe

GMSkarka

Explorer
Yeah, that's something which I was going to comment on, not as a publisher, but as a freelancer and administrator of RPGFreelance (3.5-year old yahoo group made up of over 200 working, experienced freelance writers, editors and artists): You're not going to get professional material paying those rates.

No professional artist will sell ALL RIGHTS for 80 bucks. In fact, I would question exactly why a periodical magazine NEEDS full rights, rather than single-use. If you want to keep your rates down, fine. Only purchase single-use rights.

No professional writer is going to work for a flat fee. Keep rates down if you must (2-3 cents/word), but pay BY THE WORD. It's the industry standard (in more than one industry) for a reason....more work equals more pay.

Plus, the whole "please don't waste both your time and ours by pursuing an enquiry" thing leaves a very sour taste in my mouth.

It seems like you're actively discouraging professionals from submitting material....with the above terms, you're guaranteed to only receive amateur material from gamers wanting to say that they've been published, or who don't know any better about professional publishing standards.

Which begs the question: Why would anyone want to pay for a magazine filled with that level of work?

Very disappointed,

GMS

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Re: professionalism

gorgon1964 said:

You might want to leave out these personal hangups. It makes it sound like it's a high school publication. Any writer worth his salt will know these things.

Actually, from my experience of dealing with writers, many are very surprised when they find this out. Remember that this is a fan-magazine, and many will be first time writers (although that doesn't mean that there will be no quality control). Stating the obvious clearly and bluntly is one thing that I've learned to do when writing web pages, because people only tend to scan them. I've found I always get better results that way, and most people seem to understand why I do it.

Given that the payment is so low, I see the $30 as more a gesture than a good rate of pay. That's why I was upfront saying "it's not much, but I guess you're not here because you want to get rich". Plus, we'll have fairly standard article lengths; I don't see much point in breaking it down to $30 for you, $33.50 for him....

Maybe, eventually, we'll be able to afford to pay more, in whch case the difference will matter. But for now, this is just easier. I don't see "industry standards" as a straightjacket for how I should work - I'm trying to figure out what the best way of doing things for this magazine is.

Actually, I'm still waiting to hear how much OGC will go into the mag. If I were to submit anything, I would only submit a 100% OGC article, just like all my other publications.

Loads of it. That's one of the aims.

Also, the rights issue. No magazine keeps rights to articles. Magazine authors ALWAYS keep their copyrights.

It varies; but I will give it some thought.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, I've thought about it (read that to mean: discussed it with some people who know more than I about this sort of thing!) and I'll be changing this to first publication rights with the writer retaining the copyright. Same for art.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
GMSkarka said:
No professional writer is going to work for a flat fee. Keep rates down if you must (2-3 cents/word), but pay BY THE WORD. It's the industry standard (in more than one industry) for a reason....more work equals more pay.

Plus, the whole "please don't waste both your time and ours by pursuing an enquiry" thing leaves a very sour taste in my mouth.

It seems like you're actively discouraging professionals from submitting material....with the above terms, you're guaranteed to only receive amateur material from gamers wanting to say that they've been published, or who don't know any better about professional publishing standards.

GMS

Completely disagree. Not just on an opinion-based level, but on a "I've already received proposals from people with pretty good resumes and they were fine with it" level. I think you underestimate this approach; I believe that it will work out just fine. In fact, it is working out just fine. People understand that they're contributing to the "EN World" magazine, and that it is part of and an extension to their online RPG community; they have enthusiastically thrown in their support simply because they want to.

Last edited:

Remove ads