[Proposal] All characters have 1 boon slot

Luinnar

First Post
So, this passed a month ago and I lost track of it. One thing we missed - what happens if someone has a boon and chooses to replace it?

Can they sell it like a magical item of its level or do they just lose it?
I'm fine with selling it as an item since they can be bought, custom boons could be sold at the level you receive it at.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Excellent. As long as this thread is going, let's add that to the proposal:

→ Boons can be sold as any other item. If a custom boon, their level is the level the character gained the item at.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Any judges want to weigh in on the selling boons deal? Right now we only allow one, but have no rules one how to dispose of one if you want a new one...

Walking Dad

First Post
Hope this isn't already decided...

Too many boons hurts the character item limit balance. For example, there's a boon that exactly mimics one of the best heroic foot-slot items (Boots of the Fencing Master) but doesn't take up the foot slot.

Judges?

The item limit balance is the cost. Does your mentioned boon has the same level as the item?

For slots, everyone can carry duplicate utility items or even weapons around. He just cannot use them all at once. Many boons are just utility things that give great flavor but less game benefit (speaking with animals or use a hare as a horse in the feywild book, for example).

Why reduce this?

That's why I think it would make sense if they were. Someone making a paragon character could easily have 3-4 cheap boons. At epic, you could easily have 10-12 for the price of a mid-paragon item.
And what is the problem in this? Wonderous are also slot-less. Do they have to be limited, too?

---

Was there any problem with alternative rewards that needs to be fixed this far besides of the mentioned item/boon in the first post?

If not, just disallow this one boon instead limiting players to choose between great game effect and great flavor boons.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Hope this isn't already decided...

It's in the Charter.

The item limit balance is the cost. Does your mentioned boon has the same level as the item?

For slots, everyone can carry duplicate utility items or even weapons around. He just cannot use them all at once. Many boons are just utility things that give great flavor but less game benefit (speaking with animals or use a hare as a horse in the feywild book, for example).

Why reduce this?

Another proposal just passed limiting buying a quiver of duplicate utility items for exactly that reason. And they at least required an action to equip or were effectively impossible to swap(try talking your DM into letting you change your boots or armor in combat - even if he lets you, the action cost would be prohibitive).

I haven't seen the feywild book, but from what I've seen of boons that currently exist, most of them are direct replacements of existing items... except that until this proposal passed they had no slot. They cost the same as the item they were replacing but didn't fill a slot like the item, all the benefit with none of the drawbacks. For example, some of the best Heroic Tier boots in the game (Boots of the Fencing Master - which is mostly a commentary on how few good boots there are) are available as a boon, so you could get them AND another set of boots too.

And what is the problem in this? Wonderous are also slot-less. Do they have to be limited, too?

Was there any problem with alternative rewards that needs to be fixed this far besides of the mentioned item/boon in the first post?

If not, just disallow this one boon instead limiting players to choose between great game effect and great flavor boons.

Wonderous items don't directly replace items that have a slot like several boons do. Wonderous items also rarely give you useful properties AND good encounter powers at the same time. The few Wonderous items that do are the rare exception and are the only ones regularly mentioned in CharOp builds (Enshrouding Candle for example).

I even have a character that has two boons (Dante) - might even be the only one who does - but in looking through the boons, I could see my characters starting to accrue them across paragon, one or two a level, until I had 15-20 of all the most useful ones by epic. 680gp for +1 vs daze/dominate/immobilize/restrain/slowed/stunned and DR5 against OAs? Same for resist 5 psychic and a daily interrupt? Same for a fly speed when you AP and super jumping?

With characters getting into a paragon and/or retiring characters to make new ones, it could quickly become an issue. I'm a CharOp'er and without limits, there's no reason I wouldn't abuse them without this houserule.

Walking Dad

First Post
Would be character specific bids/proposals work to allow specific characters a specific exception? The new boons in the Feywild book drip with flavor and so far I have not seen one that replaces a commonly used item (I cannot say that I know any items out there).

It wouldn't be game breaking to be use a hare as a horse and be able to speak to animal once per day, right?

Just want to leave a backdoor before 'having to 'sell' my character's ability to speak with animals for a Syberis Shard of the Mage.

I like flavor choices, but no real game-benefit alternate reward for the flavor of animal speech it to much for me.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Any judges up for voting on the selling boons proposal to this thread? We have 1 yes and could really use two more so you can sell your boons rather than... right now there's no answer to that statement.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases