D&D 5E Monte Cook working on 5E?

Halivar

First Post
Sounds like hearsay. I still don't buy it. For WotC to publish a new system after 3 years, when the last one ran 10 is pretty unbelievable.

Pentius

First Post
So you found a post by someone who claims that she heard from someone who heard from Monte that he is working on 5e?

With all due respect, you'll have to forgive me for remaining skeptical.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
So you found a post by someone who claims that she heard from someone who heard from Monte that he is working on 5e?

With all due respect, you'll have to forgive me for remaining skeptical.

You can certainly remain skeptical. I am skeptical. I just thought I would post it because of the source (Margaret Weis).:)

Grydan

First Post
Sounds like hearsay. I still don't buy it. For WotC to publish a new system after 3 years, when the last one ran 10 is pretty unbelievable.

While it is indeed hearsay, if it happened to be true they wouldn't be publishing a new system after 3 years.

4E was being worked on for at least 2 years before they announced it, and didn't come out for another year after that.

If they are starting up work on 5E with Cook's hiring, then we'd be looking at a 2013 or 2014 release. Now, it's still not ten years, but five or six is certainly more than three.

Last edited:

Keep in mind, the rumor is he is starting work on it, that could mean release 5-6 years after 4E.

Personally, I think there is a strong chance the rumor is true. There are lots of indications that 4E hasn't quite been the success that 3E was, and they do seem to be losing lots of people to pathfinder. I can see WOTC putting out a new edition that tries to win over both the current 4E players and the pathfinder crowd (it is bold and risky but it may also be necessary).

I wouldn't mind making a friendly wager over it though. Say we give it 2 years. If 5E isn't out by then I will proudly change my sig to "I was wrong about 5E".

SoulsFury

Explorer

3rd Edition came out in 2000.
3.5 was a significant change that caused everyone to have to buy new books. This was in 2003.
4th edition came out in 2008.

Even if you consider 3rd edition to be the same as 3.5 (which I don't since I had to buy new core rulebooks), that means the edition lasted 8 year. Assuming it will take 3 years for a new edition to come out, that is 4th edition being out for 6 years. Seems like a decent run without having to buy new core rulebooks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases