A library of pre-gens?

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
Two part question:

1) Would it be against current license to post a bunch of pre generated characters in pdf format on some version of WotC formatted character sheets? (eg essentials format or original format sheet) on ones website?

2) If not, does anyone know of such a library online? I know there are folks that create pregens in their spare time (I typically do not) and it seems like this might exist but I can not find it.

Every now and then, I have a need for a party of pre generated characters, and I go hunting around fo a few or end up making my own. While neither of these things is a problem, I got to wondering if hosting pregens was forbidden, or if I am simply unique in having an occasional need for them.

S'mon

Legend
Two part question:

1) Would it be against current license...

License? Do you mean the GSL, which is for publishers, & you have to sign up for it? Or do you mean the terms & conditions of your DDI account?

In terms of general IP law: the 4e official character sheets would appear to meet the requirements for copyright protection under UK & US copyright law, making reproduction a potential copyright infringement. In UK law there would be implied a license to use the sheet for its normal intended purposes.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=94582]UnknownAtThisTime[/MENTION]

I put together some 2nd level striker pregens because there was a period of time when it seemed like every month we were meeting new gamers or having visiting relatives/friends (over here we say ohana).

I've attached a pdf based on the essentials style sheet with art from one of the early issues of Dragon magazine once it went online. So, it's potentially objectionable in two ways.

Personally, I think it encourages new players to get interested in D&D and purchase one of the Essentials players books more than a "tax form" character sheet. Even the 4e sheets printed by the Character Builder are a lot for newcomers to absorb.

Anyhow, if anyone has a problem with me posting this feel free to cut it out (or tell me to cut it out). You know that Full House hand signal really doesn't translate to the Internet...

Attachments

• goblin thief_Splug.pdf
    272.2 KB · Views: 236

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
License? Do you mean the GSL, which is for publishers, & you have to sign up for it? Or do you mean the terms & conditions of your DDI account?

I mean whichever applies! As a consumer, does WotC care if we post character sheets of premade characters on WotC formatted templates? (It certainly has nothing to do with DDI, because I could make a character by hand and scan the pdf to achieve the result I am asking about, never having come in to contact with anything related to DDI)

In terms of general IP law: the 4e official character sheets would appear to meet the requirements for copyright protection under UK & US copyright law, making reproduction a potential copyright infringement. In UK law there would be implied a license to use the sheet for its normal intended purposes.

Serious question, but doesn't filling in the sheet and sharing it constitute normal intended use? If I am a DM making some pregens for my players, that is what I would do. Do they need to sign up for DDI or buy HotFK to look at a character sheet? (of course not).

The more I think about it, I guess this is why people don't post more pregens/character sheets? I did not think this was a copyright question, but more of a "do other people not have needs for quick pre gens?".

Locutus Zero

First Post
I am not qualified to conjecture about legal issues, but if you aren't making money from ads or anything else by hosting pregens, I feel like the worst that would happen is WotC would send you a strongly worded take down request.

S'mon

Legend
Serious question, but doesn't filling in the sheet and sharing it constitute normal intended use? If I am a DM making some pregens for my players, that is what I would do.

Sharing it amongst your game group would constitute normal intended use; posting it on the Internet as a public resource might not.

Turning to the blank Essentials PC sheet at the back of Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, at the bottom of the sheet it says "Permission is granted to photocopy this character sheet for home game use only" - so WoTC clearly are not licensing its wider public use.

This does not stop anyone from posting pregen PCs publicly; it does mean that using an official D&D character sheet to do so is a potential copyright infringement, at least technically.

S'mon

Legend
I mean whichever applies! As a consumer, does WotC care if we post character sheets of premade characters on WotC formatted templates?

My guess would be that they probably don't care unless you appear to be violating their trade marks - note that their sheets usually have a D&D logo on them, and so commercial use of them definitely will attract attention.

They probably don't care about fans posting PC sheets - but they do reserve the right to sue you. :)

JohnnyO

First Post
Two part question:

2) If not, does anyone know of such a library online? I know there are folks that create pregens in their spare time (I typically do not) and it seems like this might exist but I can not find it.

To answer the second part of your question, I think any of the pre-generated characters that are provided for the various D&D Encounters and convention events would be perfect for your need. For example, see here

D&D Encounters: March of the Phantom Brigade ? Pre-Generated Characters ? Dungeon's Master

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
Or, you can go to a thread I started in the D&D Encounters (DDE) section of the WotC website and get access to the official and unofficial pre-gens used for Season 6 of DDE:

Coordinator Tools (Coordinator, DM)

They are all 1st level but you can up-gun them by using the provided Character Builder Files...

Enjoy,

Remove ads