NEWS: Pathfinder Beginner Box -- UNBOXED

So in order to get the four minis that they said was going to be in it originally, I would have to shill out another $13 for them? Bringing the grand total up to $48?

Not impressed.

My first D&D boxed set at least came with an audio CD and four blue heroes for $20.

I assume you refer to First Quest, which came with SIX (not four) crappy blue heroes, and cost not $20, but $30.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p0RNVyvE-k"]SideStrafe's Nostalgia Night - Advanced Dungeons & Dragons "First Quest" 1994 - YouTube[/ame]

(With inflation, from 1994 to now, that $30 is worth...$45.86)

Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2011

Soooooo......yeah.

kitsune9

Adventurer
Nice box. Looks cool. However, I'd be more impressed how you'll use it to get new gamers than sticking it on the shelf at the local FLGS or in the rp section of Barnes and Noble.

So this box is going to go into a Target, Walmart, Toys R Us, or those pop-up Go Games! stores in the mall, or maybe a video game store come Christmas? Or maybe comic book shops where they sell CCGs?

What will the advertising be to promote the game? Comic magazines (are there any)? Google banners on video game pages? Maybe work out an agreement with Game Stop?

Just thinking about anywhere that non-gamers may go, see the box, and possibly buy it?

Ron

Explorer
Give me an Expert box with expasion to the tenth level and perhaps a few more classes and I would gladly join the wagon, as long as they don't reintroduce the more complex rules.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
I'm hoping that the simplification of the rules (based on what was said) will make this a version truly independent of the need for miniatures - which would be a little ironic given the contents of the box :)

Also, depending on the nature of the simplifications, I would imagine it would be fairly straight forward to extend the levels of the existing classes in a similar style (and with a little more effort include additional classes) if you own the core rulebook.

Alphastream

Adventurer
While these days I'm primarily a 4E guy in terms of D&D, I appreciate all editions of the game. This is an excellent boxed set and I really like the visual design. Good stuff!

Feeroper

Explorer
This is a great looking set! Im also mainly a 4e guy but I might get a set for some friends so we can play PF as well to mix it up a bit. I also like and have played all edeitions (although my 1st time playing was 2nd ed in the early 90's), but one of my groups has only played 4e so it might be a fun experiment for them to see the Pathfinder game. I dont expect it to replace 4e for them, but it will be interesting nonetheless.

Also, is it just me or are those minis ugly? I guess I will reserve judgement until i see them up close, but the inital pics Ive seen of the WizKids PF minis are really ugly. They seem rather cartoony/anime-like.

OpsKT

Explorer
Give me an Expert box with expansion to the tenth level and perhaps a few more classes and I would gladly join the wagon, as long as they don't reintroduce the more complex rules.

I so, so agree. One issue I really have with level based games over more organic character creation (White Wolf, Savage Worlds, Shadowrun) is that they sell you levels that many gamers never see. I have had ONE game go to level 10 (d20 Modern), and one to level 9 (Saga Star Wars). All my other games have ended (due to schedules, story completion, or sheer boredom of the same system) by no higher than level 6.

JeffB

Legend
Give me an Expert box with expasion to the tenth level and perhaps a few more classes and I would gladly join the wagon, as long as they don't reintroduce the more complex rules.

Another vote for an Expert expansion- I have the BB on order to use with my son (we are playing with the 3.5 black dragon basic set for now), and I have the PF core rules & bestiary, but it's still overkill for my needs. I totally go for an expansion of the Beginner Box without all the extra crunch "corner case" stuff (as Erik put it in the Vid.)

Levels out to 10-14. More spells/feats, etc for the 4 classes. More magic items, and another 100 or so monsters with the BB format and of appropriate challenge levels.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases