NEWS: Pathfinder Beginner Box -- UNBOXED

Alphastream

Adventurer
Also, is it just me or are those minis ugly? I guess I will reserve judgement until i see them up close, but the inital pics Ive seen of the WizKids PF minis are really ugly. They seem rather cartoony/anime-like.

I think it is the Wiz Kids style, but it is hard to tell exactly what the final minis will look like. At Gen Con I saw the four PC minis and they looked far better than the original minis that had been shown. The paint job was much better and more like the D&D minis (which tend to have brighter colors, more contrast, more wash/dry brush effects, etc.). I have trouble figuring out if their monster minis will improve like that or not. From the Paizo boards the answers weren't clear enough. If I look at the Pathfinder ettin I prefer any of the three D&D minis to it, for example. I personally chose to just work on getting more of the D&D minis I lack instead of buying the Pathfinder ones. That might just be my style preference (there are very few WizKids minis I really like paint-style-wise).

November and December will see the Pathfinder mini releases and let us know for sure. Plus, lines change over time. I do think the four minis (which are sold separately from this intro set but match the PCs inside) are likely to be of good quality if they match the paint job I saw at Gen Con. I am glad to see someone else tackle minis and I suspect the entire industry will watch this closely. If Paizo can make random plastic minis work beyond an initial set it will be a very interesting development (since Wizards could not make it work financially).

Sigdel

First Post
I assume you refer to First Quest, which came with SIX (not four) crappy blue heroes, and cost not $20, but $30.

SideStrafe's Nostalgia Night - Advanced Dungeons & Dragons "First Quest" 1994 - YouTube

(With inflation, from 1994 to now, that $30 is worth...$45.86)

Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2011

Soooooo......yeah.

Sorry for the necro on your reply. I'm trying to clear out my inbox and had to watch the video.

Speaking of the video...
I wish I got that box! The one I got had the fighter on a tower in the mountains fighting a rather upset looking red dragon. It was, "Introduction To Advanced Dungeons & Dragons." The box pricepoint does say $30, but my FLGS ran a discount on all RPG products until 2 years ago. So I only paid $20 in July of 1996.

Still got the CD though ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases