Maps of an Uncharted World

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
A few months ago I got this idea to run a new campaign strictly underground but quickly ran into a problem of the fact I have never seen a map before that covered large area with any level of detail. I started sketching out what I wanted for the area and came up with a plan for about 50 12x16 inch map panels, this count has now grown to over 100 map panels. So the campaign surrounds a natural feature called the Lake of Spires, which in the map below you can see the start of that lake being mapped out. It will also provide the details for a dwarven stronghold and a slave market plus a few other secrets.

While doing this I am offering them for free just in case others may feel the desire to run an underground campaign or just simple need underground maps for their current campaign. I release a new panel every Friday. At this time I have released 6 panels and ahead of schedule enough where 9 are drawn, I want to be several panels ahead just in case get the flu or emergencies pop there will be nothing to interfere with a release (provided the end of world is not scheduled for Dec 2012). I finally put together what I call a campaign map, which is a smaller version to help make sure I am going according to the plan.

I hope everyone enjoys and if you have any questions or comments feel free to ask, the maps are setup so you can download without any registration stuff and hassle free on the website.

Attachments

• Underground Campaign Map.jpg
    Underground Campaign Map.jpg
    953.6 KB · Views: 11,694

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I am Preparing an area known as the forest of silent screams. Perhaps i need to post that here as well for you to use at you leisure?

Vascant

I am Preparing an area known as the forest of silent screams. Perhaps i need to post that here as well for you to use at you leisure?

I am sure someone can use it, the way I plan on running this campaign I don't expect the players to be able to reach the surface for quite a long time.

On that note, just uploaded Panel #7 to the site for this Friday's release.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I plan on using a prop for starters: a picture of a real cavern of unusual size. I will explain the many side passages and each passage will have some sort of challenge. Each group of challenges will be grouped in category of type: earth, heat, fungi, trick/trap, main chamber and general 'random'.

next the side chambers will have a linear progression: earth to heat to water- and not all passages will have challenges as they will be 'false passages: un-occupied. for example, the passages between heat and water will more likely have the fungus types, where the passages between earth and heat might have spiders.

Is this making sense? actual positioning of side passages will be abstract- i can add time or or not between passage examinations.

As for the main chamber: the forest of silent screams, it will be huge with all kinds of traps and hazards and a 'colony of entrapped oread (The accursed) who will be as caryatid columns that will animate at 'random'. their forms will be encased in calcite coumns wtih their physical features partially showing.

i will be having random perception checks by random people- the caryatid colums will animate and try and grapple, with their facial features distorting into soundless screams-freezing suddenly and returning to inanimate rock.

the curse is lost to time-so many of the oread colony are lost to the cavern for such a long time- some of the oread have dissolved to the rivelets of water dripping from the world above and forming pools of enchanted water forming mud men and mud elementals.

i will have encounter names put into baggies and draw them radomly and hve the basid info in a note book and will make encounters with the trailblazer method of encounter design. more commen encounters will be put back into the pouch where the more deadly encounters will only be used once.

How does this look so far?

Vascant

Sounds pretty good, should indeed keep them busy that's for sure. I always like to have players roll just because. Keeps them on their toes ;)

Vascant

This is the 8th release of the Lake of Spires, one more until all of the panels of displayed in the campaign map can be seen in sparkling detail. As normal they are free for download on the website.

I would also like to state that if you are playing 3.5e you can use NPC Designer - 3.5e NPC Generator to quickly populate any location.

Attachments

• Base-Underdark-(12x16)-Complex-8-Version-1-small.jpg
    Base-Underdark-(12x16)-Complex-8-Version-1-small.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 7,274

Vascant

This completes the 9th panel for the first campaign map of the Lake of Spires underground region. I have already started working on the next campaign map which connects directly below the first one. Check out (Maps of an Uncharted World to download full versions of the maps.

I am also taking input regarding doing an actual Pathfinder dataset for NPC Designer - 3.5e NPC Generator (NPC Generator discussion thread).

Finally this week I seriously looking at creating Battle Tiles in the same flavor as the underground maps, so look for those soon and of course will be free.

Attachments

• Base-Underdark-(12x16)-Complex-9-Version-1-small.jpg
    Base-Underdark-(12x16)-Complex-9-Version-1-small.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 604

Vascant

Last week was more or less just some passages connecting the a trade route to the slave market, the panel this week is the actual slave market.

Hope everyone enjoys

Check out Maps of an Uncharted World to download full versions of the maps.

Attachments

• Base-Underdark-(12x16)-Complex-11-Version-1-small.jpg
    Base-Underdark-(12x16)-Complex-11-Version-1-small.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases