Dungeon Mapp 1.2

What would you like to see in the next update of Dungeon Mapp?

• Music triggers

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Walls

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Android/Honeycomb version

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • iPhone/Android version

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • More Hide options (hide enemies and decals)

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • More Art

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Importing decals

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Sci-fi Art

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Hex Mapps

• Emailing share from inside the App

Dexamalion

Explorer
Hi All,

I'm the creator of Dungeon Mapp for the iPad from Ambitious Software. As you can see from the link it's a mapping tool and gameplay aid for square based RPGs. I've just updated the app with a bunch of new features including:

• More Character options including:
    [-]Hit Points
    [-]Damage tracking
    [-]Healing Surge
    [-]Temp HP
    [-]Initiative Modifier
    [-]Movement rate
    [-]Bloodied status​

• Quick Access Dice Roller
  • Auto roll initiative for all characters in the Party.
  • Save Mapps to a desktop for emailing
  • Import Mapps
  • Animated Decals
  • Loads more decals that are divided by category for quicker access
  • Room descriptions and item descriptions
  • More tile options including lava, snow, sand and metal
  • Blending of tiles, organic tiles will "blend" to the next tile to create more natual surroundings
  • Better application of difficult terrain, just paint it on any surface
  • Loads of UI tweaks and functionality enhancements

I'm posting this here to see what people would like to see next. I obviously have my own ideas (see below) but I want to put in features that a wide range of players will find useful. So here's a few ideas to get you interested, please vote below or let me know your idea in the posts.

Many thanks for the feedback,

Dex

P.S. For a whole mess of reasons, walls are really hard to do. I'd love to put them in and I'm sure we can find a way that's not nightmarishly difficult to use, but just remember, a vote for walls is probably a vote against something else.

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Walls ;) - just makes visuals more pleasing but low priority
Ability to import own decals
Decal linking to stat block / character sheet - decals have some info but would be nice to be able to link to a PDF doc or other external record keeper

Last edited:

Dexamalion

Explorer
Walls ;) - just makes visuals more pleasing but low priority
Ability to import own decals
Decal linking to stat block / character sheet - decals have some info but would be nice to be able to link to a PDF doc or other external record keeper

Thanks for the feedback! (even though it did contain Walls). I do like the idea of being able to import decals, I'll put that on the list and see what we can do.

I've also been toying with the idea of linking the Tokens to a character sheet on the iPhone via Bluetooth, but that is a massive amount of work.

Dexamalion

Explorer
OK lots of votes for more art. Can I get some idea on what people want to see the most? Are you looking for more items like furniture, more functional things like levers and switches?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Dex, any chance you could just include several thin walls as decals in 5' and 10' lengths? That would let me close off areas I needed walls in, and I would be able to rotate them.

I'd love to see top down views of more types of statues, as well as swamp tiles (or swampy water decals that I could put on top of regular tiles.) A few switches and levers would be nice, as would more traps, but I'd vote most for things that trigger the imagination: torture equipment. Mysterious glowing runes. Fires. Pits of bones. Stuff like this.

Thanks!

Dexamalion

Explorer
Dex, any chance you could just include several thin walls as decals in 5' and 10' lengths? That would let me close off areas I needed walls in, and I would be able to rotate them.

I'd love to see top down views of more types of statues, as well as swamp tiles (or swampy water decals that I could put on top of regular tiles.) A few switches and levers would be nice, as would more traps, but I'd vote most for things that trigger the imagination: torture equipment. Mysterious glowing runes. Fires. Pits of bones. Stuff like this.

Thanks!

Hey,

Based on the poll and other feedback I'm getting, I think the next feature update will be to add a feature where you can import your own decals into the app. However, we're kind of coming up against the limit of the ram on the iPad 1, so we would have to limit the amount of decals you could import to perhaps a page on the decal edit box.

I do give up some quality control when I do this (people can import crappy decals and as a result the app can look bad), but I think it might be worth it to give people some freedom with what art they want.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Derek

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The real advantage of doing that is that you start to develop a community; people start sharing their work, adding value for everyone without costing you any art time. It's probably a good idea. I'll admit that I'm no artist, but I'm sure for personal use I can sneakily scan other tiles and map elements I've used before. A caution of "don't upload someone else's art without permission" should help you manage your sharing library.

If you do this, I'd make it really clear what pixel width a 5' piece of art should be. You want to avoid imported decals that are 200' long!

In your instructions, you may wish to have a brief blurb about how to display the app on TV via AirPlay. That ability just about doubles the app's utility for me.

Dexamalion

Explorer
The real advantage of doing that is that you start to develop a community; people start sharing their work, adding value for everyone without costing you any art time. It's probably a good idea. I'll admit that I'm no artist, but I'm sure for personal use I can sneakily scan other tiles and map elements I've used before. A caution of "don't upload someone else's art without permission" should help you manage your sharing library.

If you do this, I'd make it really clear what pixel width a 5' piece of art should be. You want to avoid imported decals that are 200' long!

In your instructions, you may wish to have a brief blurb about how to display the app on TV via AirPlay. That ability just about doubles the app's utility for me.

Yes, a 5' square is 64 by 64 pixels, and I think the largest size we can allow people to go is 128 x 128 (2x2 squares). It's not a simple addition (what happens when you email a mapp to someone? do the tiles you created get emailed with it?) so we're going to examine what the issues are with doing it. We might do a smaller update while that one is cooking.

I'll put that blurb in the manual, but it's different for the iPad 1 compared to the 2, so there will be 2 sets of instructions.

Cheers,

Derek

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases