What's Up With D&D? for Monday, 17 October 2011

Gaming Tonic

First Post
Wizards of the Coast has gone all out this week to introduce new things for your game. The ninja steps out of the shadows, two new Kara-Tur themes are introduced, and we learn more about the Feywild. Let's get to it then.

• This week we will start with the Secrets of the Ninja by Dave Chalker in Dragon 404's Class Acts: Assassin. The kusari-gama is completely awesome and the at-will ninja star power really captures the feel of the ninja movies of my youth. If you aren't a DDI suscriber you are missing out. See what gamers here at EN World are saying about the ninja here.
  • In Legends & Lore this week Monte Cook offers you Live Together, Die Alone. We get his insight on the party vs. the character dynamic and how D&D has approached it over the years. I have always enjoyed playing the helping character and this article sums up why.
  • Fringes of Kara-Tur by Chris Sims give players two new character themes to choose, the Hordeland Nomad and the Sohei. I love all themes so far and how they can tie a character directly into the setting of a game and theses two only bolster my appreciation of the theme mechanic.

• This week in Rule of Three, Rich Baker answers questions concerning the submission process, how the products are layed out, and some tips for DM's to help them with combat and social encounters. Some tips are provided to give you a hand with storytelling as well. If you are still planning on a submission for Dungeon or Dragon you need to read this.
  • White Dragon, a preview of the Dragon Collector's Set which releases on November 4th is here for you. This product includes two new sculpts and we get a great look at the white dragon. I love miniatures and I hope these make their way into my game soon.
  • Bart Carroll gives us another sneak peek this week, Welcome to the Feywild! this time at the Heroes of the Feywild hardcover which is being released November 15th. The background for the Feywild is here for you, so if you plan on using this in your game you can start laying the groundwork after reading this article.
  • Check out Rodney Thompson, Tabletop Games Manager for Wizards of the Coast showing you how to play the Legend of Drizzzt board game below. This is an excellent way to see what comes with the game and how it is played.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs9t-QGw6KY&noredirect=1[/ame]​
  • Love Letter to Ed Greenwood by Chris Perkins in The Dungeon Master Experience we get some wisdom in using NPC's to really bring the world to life. Memorable NPC's really draw players into a game and will be talked about long after the campaign has ended.

• In my wanderings to the far edges of the Dungeons & Dragons website I came across this archive of PC Portraits. A picture is worth a thousand words so here is a novel worth of great artwork for your game.
  • [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Halls-Undermountain-Dungeons-Dragons-Supplement/dp/0786959940/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318869169&sr=1-1"]Halls of Undermountain[/ame]: A 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons supplement will be released on April 17, 2012. If you loved the original Undermountain stuff or have been waiting for the massive dungeon crawl then this is for you.
  • Cathedral of Chaos Dungeon Tiles will be released March 20, 2012 according to Amazon.com. Check them out [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cathedral-Chaos-Dungeon-Dungeons-Accessory/dp/0786959908/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318865022&sr=1-2"]here[/ame]. I love dungeon tiles in any game because markers don't do backdrop nearly as well.
  • Keep an eye out early next year for [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lords-Waterdeep-Dungeons-Dragons-Board/dp/0786959916/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318869169&sr=1-3"]The Lords of Waterdeep: A Dungeons & Dragons Board Game[/ame] being released on March 20, 2012. If you love the board games so by Wizards so far or if you are Forgotten Realms fan than you are going to be happy. I wonder if all the players are masked except for one?

Last edited:

davethegame

Explorer
Hey, thanks for the kind words on the ninja article! Glad you enjoyed it. My next milestone will be when it's in the character builder so I can fully play one (instead of in playtest with a character builder character and lots of stuff scratched out)

Wrox

First Post
Correction

One correction needs to be made. The Fringes of Kara-Tur article was written by Chris Sims, not Chris Perkins.

JohnnyZemo

Explorer
One correction needs to be made. The Fringes of Kara-Tur article was written by Chris Sims, not Chris Perkins.

Also, you don't need an apostrophe in the word Wizards.

"Has went all out" should be "has gone all out."

"Bart Caroll" should be "Bart Carroll."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases