A small preview of the new barbarian build in Heroes of the Feywild

frogged

First Post
"Heroes of the Feywild includes a mix of both class design styles. Here's a preview power from the Berserker Barbarian, one of the classes that exclusively uses the original 4th edition At-Will/Encounter/Daily/Utility model:"

You can find a previewed daily power for the new type of barbarian here.

It appears that Berserker Barbarians also make use of a defender aura.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I'm so very much looking forward to this book!

Edit: I just noticed that it doesn't contain the Primal keyword in that sample power... hm....

Last edited:

Shadus

First Post
My guess is that they mixed the Fighter class with Barbarian fluff. Not sure how to feel about that. I mean why not just have a Berserker build for the Fighter? Meh, whatever.

At least I have one more reason to get the book.

KidSnide

Adventurer
My guess is that they mixed the Fighter class with Barbarian fluff. Not sure how to feel about that. I mean why not just have a Berserker build for the Fighter? Meh, whatever.

This is probably one of those mixed role classes -- likely a defender that turns into a striker when he rages. Seems like a reasonable concept to me...

-KS

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
This is probably one of those mixed role classes -- likely a defender that turns into a striker when he rages. Seems like a reasonable concept to me...

I thought I heard this was the plan from WOTC, but I cannot remember where.

This power though, seems to make the barbarian an even better defender while raging (by increasing the area he can protect).

DracoSuave

First Post
I like the idea of a Barbarian defender class type.

Barbarians have always had that defender subrole flavor, so this allows for more delving into that subrole by Barbarian strikers. There'll be some cross polination for sure, and I'm okay with that.

Shadus

First Post
For the record, I'm not against Barbarian's being a defender role. I the idea, and it makes since it's one of their traditional roles. Barbarian's are beef-tanks. I don't like how they made it a martial class. Kinda feels like there back-stabbing the whole primal thing.
4E's Primal classes are pretty awesome and add a layer of depth too the DND world, but after Primal Power it seems that WOTC lost some of the chain of thought they were going for with the Primal classes.
I can see the want for a Berseker, but I feel that it could be more in-tune with Fighter than Barbarian in 4E. Then again, maybe it will be like the Assassin from Heroes of Shadow, 'A marital class and primal defender, able to rage into great feats of physical prowess, mixing in primal magic when needed.'

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I love Barbarians as strikers, but there's room for Defendery Barbarians, too. Personally, I would've liked to see my strikery barbarian a little less...Primal-flavored, so this hits a weird spot for me. :)

It's interesting that they use the Aura. I wonder how much thought went into how easy it generally is to avoid that thing, or if they eventually decided, "That's why you have a Controller in your party, man!"

I also wonder if they are fully capable of being Strikers AND Defenders (thus meaning a party doesn't need either of those...and perhaps stealing Rogue and Fighter thunder), or if they are only capable of being 1/2 striker + 1/2 defender (thus meaning that a party probably still needs both of those...but not a bad 5th wheel class maybe?). Personally, I'm kind of hoping for the latter -- I'm kind of into the idea of everyone filling every role eventually, so that no one has to play a certain class. A Striker + Defender Barbarian frees up two other people to play what they feel like instead of what they have to play for party balance.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure they said that this class would be a defender most of the time and a striker when raging. However, the daily power they previewed isn't a rage, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

My guess is that there's a class feature that allows the Barbarian to start raging, gives it extra damage, and turns off the defender aura. Just a hunch, though.

Remove ads