Review: Pathfinder Beginner Box

As a committed 4e player, WOTC should be standing up and taking notice of what their competitors are doing and doing a million times better. I get the impression that Pathfinder is a heavy load for a DM, but this seems to be inspired in helping them get onto that road faster than before. The steep learning curve just got a lot less steep. Congrats Paizo, WOTC please take note.

As a committed 4e player, WOTC should be standing up and taking notice of what their competitors are doing and doing a million times better. I get the impression that Pathfinder is a heavy load for a DM, but this seems to be inspired in helping them get onto that road faster than before. The steep learning curve just got a lot less steep. Congrats Paizo, WOTC please take note.

These pictures are striking -- I'm glad you included them. They show what a very different look and feel Pathfinder pawns have from the games you refer too. Worlds apart.

EEXY

First Post
I just found out about this box set... I wonder how the box set or the PFRPG itself plays with a party of just one or two players? Do-able? How much "tweaking" or "modding" required?

Steel_Wind

Legend
I just found out about this box set... I wonder how the box set or the PFRPG itself plays with a party of just one or two players? Do-able? How much "tweaking" or "modding" required?

It's not ideal -- but it is quite doable with 2 players. For two players, little to no tweaking required. Halve the foes or the hits on a single foe on the fly and solidier on. It's not perfect, but quick and dirty works pretty well, overall.

As for one player, well, there is a 3rd party book for solo adventures in Pathfinder RGP called One-on-One. While it is not directly intended to be compatible with the Beginner Box, it can easily be made to be -- on the fly, too.

Open Design has two modules out in their Party of One series, Elgar Fletch and the Dark Army and Kalgor Bloodhammer anf the Ghouls: Through the Breach

I have not read anything in the Party of One series and so I cannot comment further on them other than to draw then to your attention.

I have read One-on-one and purchased a copy of it last year (in print) for my son who was 12 at the time. He used it to GM for another one of his friends and seemed to enjoy it. I read it and thought it was a pretty decent effort and presented a reasonable value given the limited and unique topic matter. It features a large number of adventures at various levels of play. As you might expect, this sort of adventure design seems to work best for a multi-talented rogue around levels 2-7. If your player wants to play a rogue? Great. If not? Uhmm... not so great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads