Twilight Vampires

actually, per somebody else I heard, a college professor made his students read it for some religion course. The story is a parallel to the Book of Mormon. With Vampires. That sparkle.

Speaking as one who hasn't read the books nor seen the movies...as a matter of fact, one of my sons-in-law started a Facebook page called "Husbands Against Twilight"...I can still state that the books are not a parallel to the Book of Mormon. Nor do I have any notion of how Janx came up with that idea.

However, I did - some years ago - do some research into Stoker's novel, and was startled to find that many (most?) of the concepts we have about vampires were NOT part of lore and myth, but that he made up. This is why his vampire, Dracula, was significantly different from previous fictional vampires such as Polidori's or Varney the Vampire.

Meyer has stated that her premise came from a nightmare of sorts that she had, and she extrapolated from that. Her vampires are no more (nor less) non-Stoker than the Buffy-the-Vampire-Slayer varieties.

But count (no pun intended) me as one who still prefers the Stoker version (which isn't the Lugosi version either) and considers THAT to be the Classic Vampire type.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They're a new definition of "vampire"; they don't share any of the characteristics of any traditional definition of "vampire" (other than that they like drinking blood). I'm not sure why they decided to use the word "vampire". They're basically superheroes who like to drink blood. Any resemblance to Dracula is... well, nonexistant.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Totally relevant:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbMh742lsck]Crispin Freeman's opinion on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Twilight, and Tolkien - YouTube[/ame]

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Are Twilight vampires not undead? They can have sex and can make a baby?
It's supposed to be part of Servbian folklore that vampires are able to impregnate women either through the use of a "cloned" body (or not).

Interestingly enough, the Romani believed that Dhampirs (as they were called) were able to detect and kill vampires. So anyone who was a vampire hunter was called a Dhampir (because you obviously have to be half vampire to kill a vampire).

Remove ads