New Legend and Lore: Getting the Most out of the Rules

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I used to buy and read the products that came out (mostly adventures, back then) just for fun. I played the game a lot as well, but part of the D&D hobby experience for me was just reading the products and letting my imagination soar. When I read an adventure, sometimes I would think about the great story potential contained within, or it would inspire me to create my own stories. Other times, I would imagine what would happen if I used the adventure in my campaign. How would my players react? How would I react if I was a player? How would I run such a fun yet complex series of encounters? I am certain that I am not alone in this.

He is not alone, nor ever will be. :)

I think their poll is meant to allow someone to vote in all four categories but not choose the same value for any two. Does that seem correct?

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Interesting article. It almost seems like filler, but I guess it's going to be important for a lot of people. I tend to like clear, precise rules, though I used sidebars in my book as guides. That's my preferred setup. We'll see how people rate the four areas. I basically did 2, 3, 4, 5 in order.

Side note: the poll from last week is interesting, too. Looks like number 2 is a clear winner (I went with ). Again, interesting.

As always, play what you like :)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
We'll see how people rate the four areas. I basically did 2, 3, 4, 5 in order.

I picked a number in the first section then chose a different number in the second but it still rmoved the choice in the first. So, too, it only allowed me to choose in one category, no matter which I chose or where. Odd. Maybe it is an IE issue?

AeroDm

First Post
I actually just popped over to start a thread about D&D books in general and how they have to serve a double purpose of being a teaching aid and a reference manual. The reason this is a problem is that you would write in a very different style and with different organization for each of the two goals. It seems to me that when faced with a toss-up, D&D favors the reference manual style. This might be logical (since you only learn it once and the rest of the time it is a reference manual), but I'm not sure it is the best method.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I picked a number in the first section then chose a different number in the second but it still rmoved the choice in the first. So, too, it only allowed me to choose in one category, no matter which I chose or where. Odd. Maybe it is an IE issue?
I bet I know what it is. I picked one, then clicked "submit" in that window. Then I clicked the next one, then "submit" again. I always clicked "submit" in between each vote. I doubt it's an IE thing, but I am using Chrome.

Hussar

Legend
I chose 2, 2, 5, 5, and didn't seem to have a problem. It does say that your vote has been recorded after each time you vote, under each section, with the dot resetting every time.

Given the choice, I want clear, precise language every time. There are so many places that we can draw inspiration from. The rule books need to be clear because, honestly, I've never had an argument about how tall an elf was, but, I've wasted hours on imprecise verbiage in rule books.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I bet I know what it is. I picked one, then clicked "submit" in that window. Then I clicked the next one, then "submit" again. I always clicked "submit" in between each vote. I doubt it's an IE thing, but I am using Chrome.

Ah, I see.

I chose 2, 2, 5, 5, and didn't seem to have a problem. It does say that your vote has been recorded after each time you vote, under each section, with the dot resetting every time.

Perhaps I needed those instructions written as alliterative verse (or maybe I am just tired :D ).

avin

First Post
PHB may use a rule-oriented tone but Monster Manual needs to be evocative.

MM14E was a huge letdown for me. I love to flip over 1E, 2E and 3E monster manuals (in special 2E)... but first 4E's looked like some color TV manual. I think Wotc perceived it was a mistake and tone was largely improved on their second and third MM.

DMG must also be evocative and full of ideas and hooks (in that 4E DMG II was excellent).

Well, I'm suspect... in fact I could live wil all D&D books written like Planescape and rules to be written on some online D&D wiki :p

Pentius

First Post
I had a mixed vote as well. I want clear, precise language(jargon) for the rules, so they are clear, and thus avoid arguments. I also want a conversational bit where the designer tells me why the rules are the way they are, which helps me to know when to use them as designed, and when to change them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases