Lord Byron in D&D

Wolfspider

Explorer
I'd like to introduce a character much like Lord Byron in my Freeport D&D game--a brilliant, dark, artistic, charismatic lech with a flair for the dramatic, a devious cruel streak, and a so-called rapier wit. From a name to classes and stats and whatnot, I'm turning to you for ideas.

So, what do you think? ;)

Epametheus

First Post
How much butt-kicking does he need to be capable of?

A Bard with high Int and Cha, with Perform, Bluff, Sense Motive, Diplomacy, Craft (Literature) (is that even viable?), Innuendo, and #$%^&, bards don't get enough skill points to actually be proper bards.

If you have the skill points and go bard, taking spellcraft so that you can research unique spells for screwing with peoples' heads could be interesting.

Perhaps a high dex score as well, as he should probably be graceful and what-not.

Race: Elf or human... Human gives you more skill points, which you may well need, but elves are, well, elves and are a bit more mystical/artsy.

If you want access to illusion/charm magic (and you might), go bard; if you want to be some sort of gosu skill master, go rogue. Rogues also have much better combat ability, though hopefully your character won't need to able to inflict massive quantities of damage just to be relevant to the campaign.

Alignment for Lord Byron? Chaotic Neutral with good tendencies? He was a bit out there, if I remember right.

Heh. Don't look to me for a name. The name is that last thing to appear on the character sheet of any PC or NPC that I make.

And hopefully, that should get the ball rolling.

Last edited:

Wolfspider

Explorer
MeepoTheMighty said:
According to some cheesy book I read back in high school, he was a vampire. So was Shelley, I think.

Yeah, I've heard such rumors before. Byron was certainly vampiric in appearance and temperment. Maybe I'll make him a dhampyr or something. Hmmm.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
MeepoTheMighty said:
According to some cheesy book I read back in high school, he was a vampire. So was Shelley, I think.

The Vampyre by Tom Holland. Cheesy, but fun.

Multclass bard/rogue, probly with vampire levels added in. Keep in mind that the man could both buckle a swash with the best of them, turn out a pretty rhyme, but also was fairly hardy and physically inclined. Wasn't he supposed to have swum the hellspont once? Still in mid-move, so all my reference books are in boxes. Will check that later...

Sunglar

Explorer
Byron…

Don’t forget the man did a lot of self-promoting and he had a dark streak to him. Sometimes I think our vision of him is so much the one he would have wanted us to have.

Two things I read or heard somewhere that always stuck with me were:

First, that he was constantly trying not to gain weight and that he often did biscuits and soda water diets to loose a few pounds.

Second, he was a very sexual man, some same sex experimentation going on as well. But from what I recall he definitely was more into women…

There was a movie were Gabriel Byrne played him, can’t remember the film… I hate it!

He died a hero of the Greek people, so I agree with the CN with good tendencies argument someone made on another post.

Check out this link for more info:

http://www.englishhistory.net/byron.html

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Since he helped fight the Greek war of independence, what about Fighter/Bard trying to get in to Holy Liberator, with the leadership feat.

CG seems Soooo right as well...

Rav

Crothian

First Post
MeepoTheMighty said:

He was also an Immortal in the Highlander Series. Shelley was a normal human, but was inpired by the quickening.

LostSoul

Adventurer
You could play him as a bard with a penchant for occult knowledge. His Bardic Knowledge skill relates to books, writings, and often things a little strange. His spells are occult rituals; his Charm Person might be a piercing look into the eyes, blah blah blah.

Remove ads