How did you get started?

DnD_Dad

First Post
My real first sci-fi purchase was actually two books, "the Martian chronicles" by Bradbury and "war of the worlds" by Wells. I remember even then, at 7, being disappointed with the ending of war. I did like the Martian chronicles though. The next book I bought was "I robot" by Asimov. Loved it.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
My parents first learned that I could read when my mom saw me reading a Star Wars storybook by myself. I also read a lot of the Marvel Star Wars comics, some of which, thinking back, were pretty darn sophisticated.

The first book book I got myself was the Chronicles of Narnia, bought with money from selling a calf.

Brad

Nellisir

Hero
I don't remember the first book I bought. I have vague recollections of buying an occasional comic book when I was very young, but all my book-related memories (until my teens) are of library books or books from my parent's bookshelves (which included The Hobbit, the complete Mark Twain, Sherlock Holmes, Kafka, Rudyard Kipling, the complete My Bookshelves series, and more). I transitioned from fairy tales to fantasy pretty seamlessly, but discovered sci-fi in 5th grade courtesy of a really awesome teacher.

The first books I bought and read were comicbooks. many many many comicbooks. This included books about comicbooks.

First non-comicbooks I remember reading included books like N>I>M>B> and for some reasion this stands out in my mind as the first SCI-FI- Lummox. I don't recall the author.

Then I branched out into books by Wambaugh, Critchen and eventually R.A. Salvator.

I'm not much for trying new authors though I'm tempted by many of the comments here and in the "What are you reading...." threads.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases