Redbadge's Campaign (there will be spoilers)

Isklexi

First Post
Applied Eschatology

GM: Hello, we’re still alive. To everyone that followed this thread, I apologize for disappearing. I started doing graduate work, and updating this thread keeps falling down the chain of things I need to do. Our group is still running Zeitgeist. We’re starting in on the Last Starry Sky adventure now, so I’m behind on updating this thread by an entire adventure now. I’ll try to get this thread caught up and get back into the habit of updating it in a more regular manner.

This post is fairly detailed as I wrote notes for this post before I got busy with other things. Future posts will be less detailed until I catch up with our current adventure again.

It took the constables a few days to travel north across the mountains to the glacier. They ran into a few complications like a collapsing ice shelf, but they were well equipped to overcome the obstacles, and Irony’s magic helped to protect them from the cold. They opted to keep Leone in the Absurdist Web the entire trip to avoid having to deal with a potentially dangerous prisoner. Eventually, the party emerged from the mountains into a glacier valley. At the entrance to the valley, a great stone pillar carved with infernal images and the message, “Gaze ye upon Knutpara, eternal bastion of the Demonocracy, built to withstand any army’s siege,” greeted the constables and the sight of a trackless glacier beyond.

The constables began the trek across the great glacier’s surface in search of the ancient fortress. It wasn’t long before they stumbled upon a strange sight, a grisly totem made from humanoid skulls and draped in frozen entrails. Irony and Rai examined the totem for magic and realized too late that the totem acted as some kind of magical alarm sensor. The constables quickly took cover amidst nearby snowdrifts hoping to spot the inevitable scouts before they themselves were spotted. It didn’t take long before figures appeared through the falling snow; two frost giants and what at first looked like two polar bears. As the giants drew closer, it quickly became apparent that their pets were definitely not polar bears. The twisted creatures walked on six legs, their thick muscles clearly visible thanks to their lack of skin, and they each wore the skinned hide of a polar bear like a grisly cloak. The beasts began to sniff around the totem. Fearing that the creatures would soon find them by scent, the party burst from hiding to attack the giants and their monstrous pets.

The constables focused their efforts on the giants first. Caught off guard, one of the giants fell immediately to the party’s opening salvo. The fiendish beasts charged towards the party while the remaining giant hurled huge spears. One of the fiendish creatures fell next in an unnaturally copious fountain of blood. The other giant fell before their onslaught and they turned to the final beast when the first monster pulled itself up from the gore spattered snow and leapt upon them again. Irony realized the creature was drawing the blood on the snow into itself, regenerating its wounds. The constables redoubled their efforts to bring the beasts down. Once they fell upon the bloodstained snow again, the men immediately rushed forward to push their large carcasses away from the blood. Afterwards, Irony archly pointed out that she could have teleported the corpses away from the blood if they’d paused for but a moment.

The constables soon located a frozen river that cut a rift into the glacier lined with more of the macabre totems. The constables followed the rift while carefully keeping clear of the totems. Soon the party could make out three stone structures jutting from the glacier, two north and one south of the growing rift. They also spotted a camp of Frost Giants along the southern edge of the rift. The constables decided that they couldn’t explore the structures while leaving the giants in the camp to flank them. The party sprang a devastating ambush on the camp, killing several of its occupants by stealth before eliminating the remainder in open combat.

The party discovered a pit in the middle of the camp that led deeper into the glacier. They realized that the squat stone structures were actually the tops of towers buried by the glacier. The constables lowered a rope into the camp shaft and Doran rappelled down into the glacier below to investigate. Unfortunately, he emerged from the shaft directly above a Frost Giant. The giant attempted to lift a horn to his lips as Doran dropped from the ceiling, swords drawn. Landing atop the giant’s head, Doran managed to slay the guard before he could sound the alarm. The rest of the constables followed Doran down the shaft and into the glacier. Unfortunately for their attempts at infiltration, the party immediately rounded the corner into another guard that did sound his alarm horn.

Giants from the other side of the Ice Rift responded to the alarm and began heading towards the party across large ice bridges that spanned the chasm. The constables engaged in a furious battle with the giants. As their numbers dwindled, the giants retreated across the ice bridge. Their shaman used her magic to shatter the end of the ice bridge. Doran sprinted across the collapsing ice bridge and leapt across the gap to prevent their escape. Their retreat stymied, the giants quickly succumbed to Doran’s blades and withering gunfire from the constables across the chasm.

The party explored the ruined towers and discovered an Obscurati laboratory along with two researchers. Under duress, the researchers revealed that the Ob mined the ancient glacier for meteor fragments, relics of the meteor shower that destroyed the ancient fortress. The researchers tested magical oils distilled from the meteors in the Ob’s curious lanterns. The constables perused some of their research notes to see the curious effects of the lantern’s light. They then coerced the researchers into their Absurdist Web, not wanting to risk the pair alerting or abetting the remaining giants. The constables then continued down to the rift floor. They immediately noticed the lanterns illuminating the bottom of the chasm with a soft blue light. The party consulted the research notes taken from the researchers and realized the supernatural light would try to cloud their minds and pacify them. They steeled their minds and set out to explore the rift. Preparing beforehand allowed them to resist the lanterns’ effects without incident.

The party followed the stream to a waterfall cascading from the top of the glacier. Magical sigils designed to dispel enchantments that grant resistance to the cold ringed the pool at the waterfall’s base. Irony and Rai worked together to dismantle the runes before the constables pressed through the waterfall to the cave beyond. Once beyond the roar of the waterfall, the constables could hear the sounds of excavating. They came upon a series of icy prison cells packed with enslaved Dwarves overlooking a frigid quarry. The giants were using slave labor to dig meteor fragments from within the glacier. Approaching the cells quietly, the constables were able to speak with some of the prisoners without the giants in the quarry noticing them. Notably, they found the dwarven mercenary Kvarti Gorbity. Kvarti told the party that he used to explore old ruins when he was younger and came to investigate when he heard strange rumors of activity in his old stomping grounds. The sheer number of giants in the area caught him by surprise, and they captured him. Kvarti was able to tell the constables how many giants remained and warned them that the giant’s chieftain was a formidable warrior. The party then executed a surprise assault from the upper ledge, bombarding the giants below with grenades and gunfire as the party’s swordsmen slid down the quarry slopes.

Once the giants were vanquished and the prisoners freed, the constables discussed their options. They wanted to get the prisoners to safety, but they couldn’t teleport them to a Drakran city without risking alerting Ob agents. They couldn’t trek back across the glacier with over a dozen extra mouths to feed either. The party decided to open a gate to Slate, sending the prisoners and all of the laboratory equipment back to Risur, including the Ob researchers in custody. The Drakran prisoners were happy to leave the country where corrupt officials had sold them into slavery, and Kvarti promised to deliver their report to RHC officers in Slate along with the Ob assets. The constables then delved into the quarry’s deepest chamber, the lich’s icy tomb.

The Lich’s chamber was a cramped, icy oubliette with a small stream of frigid water flowing into a crack in the floor. The Lich itself was entombed in the ice forming the chamber’s northern wall. It glowered down at them, hateful blue embers burning in its empty eye sockets. The Lich’s voice echoed to them through the ice. It introduced itself as Aurgelmir, Archwarlock of the Demonocracy. Aurgelmir already knew why the constables had come and demanded they free him from his icy prison in exchange for the magic ritual they sought. The constables conferred with themselves but ultimately decided they had little choice. The Ob conclave was fast approaching, and the Lich’s ritual was the surest way to infiltrate the clandestine meeting. They agreed to Aurgelmir’s terms if he gave them the ritual and excised Leone’s spirit before they freed him. Aurgelmir relented but warned that he would transmute the blood in their veins to ice if they reneged. He then commanded that they bring him an orb made of crystal or ice and bring Leone forward.

Lacking any crystal balls, the constables fashioned an orb from the glacier’s ice and then pulled Leone from the Absurdist Web. Confused, Leone resisted as best he could until the party pinned him to the glacier wall and Aurgelmir cast his dark ritual. The orb of ice turned pitch black as Leone’s soul was ripped out, leaving Alexander Grappa as the sole owner of his new body. The constables shattered the orb at Alexander’s urging so that Leone’s spirit could move on to whatever awaited him. True to their word, the constables then shattered the ice imprisoning Aurgelmir. The undead giant gloated of the reckoning he would visit upon the descendants of the rebellious dwarves as he pulled himself from the ice. Aurgelmir’s laughter quickly faded when another sinister shadow crept up the cave walls. The familiar winged and horned silhouette of Calaphax loomed upon the chamber walls. The sneering shade clutched a swirling figment of light and shadow in one clawed hand, crushing it into a shower of fading sparks. Aurgelmir cried out furiously as his skeletal form collapsed into desiccated splinters, and the shade vanished as suddenly as it had appeared. Irony speculated that their infernal “friend” must have somehow obtained the Lich’s phylactery and destroyed it. The constables had no way of knowing why Cal would destroy Aurgelmir, and they had no time to dwell on the matter. With Grappa and the ritual in hand, the constables trekked back across the frozen tundra.

GM: The players circumvented any potential treachery by keeping all their prisoners in the Absurdist Web. They continue to dominate combat, but they enjoy blitzing encounters, so I don’t mind too much. I’ll probably tweak a few plot important encounters in the future to prevent all their fights feeling the same.

I gave the Lich a name and added Cal into the final scene to tie more of the world’s backstory together with the elements I’ve added. Notably, I had Cal kill the Lich rather than just having him crumble on his own. While players may guess that the Lich’s demise was caused by his phylactery’s destruction ages ago, I felt it would have been a bit of an odd mystery that the campaign would never revisit. This way the players have an avenue to investigate further if they want to, and it also stokes their paranoia over what Cal may be planning long term.

I'm always eager to hear from gamers in one of our campaigns, but yeah, grad school takes precedence.

Do you feel like the group is on track to play all the way through? If so, what if any character-specific plot elements are you planning for the final four adventures?

Isklexi

First Post
I'm always eager to hear from gamers in one of our campaigns, but yeah, grad school takes precedence.

Do you feel like the group is on track to play all the way through? If so, what if any character-specific plot elements are you planning for the final four adventures?

I think we're going to go all the way. We have lost two players, bringing our group from 6 to 4. I was able to kill them off dramatically in the fight with Nicodemus at Methia.

For character specific plots:

Irony is being set up to become a new Elven goddess to replace Srasama. Right now it's an easy choice for her character. I'm going to try and slowly introduce ethical complications regarding the fate of Devas on Llanjyr and the souls of the Elven women that died during the Great Malice.

Kirk will almost certainly become the king of Risur as a Yearasol Veteran and the party leader.

Doran has mostly been along for the ride so far. I'm planning on having the Unseen Court offer him a position and maybe some ties to Riffian of the Wild Hunt.

Maddox is a bit harder. His character has an unusual background, being born a human then revived Frankenstein style by Recklinghausen as a Bugbear, and now he's also a weretiger. I'm not totally sure what to do with him. I'm thinking of throwing in something with Hewanharimau during their jaunt in the Gyre.

Other changes I'm making to the base setting is explicitly connecting Gidim with the Far Realm. It might be cliched, but I just feel like an adventure that goes all the way to epic levels should end with a threat to the cosmos. I'm planning on making the final encounter in the last adventure into a chaotic melee between Nicodemus, the PCs, Calaphax, and the forces of the Far Realm.

Luigrein

Explorer
Doran's player here. Just wanted to jump in and say we finished our campaign a couple months ago, even with our impressive hiatuses. Mostly just RPed the final arc. We kinda really jumped off the rails.

The MAJOR derailing point was:
party watching the ob meeting
NPC teleports in
Party: How can he teleport in? I thought it was impossible with the new planar rules.
DM: He...was invited.
Party: Honestly? Yeah that tracks with how arbitrary some of these planar rules are.
Nic: I'm not the bad guy, if only the PCs were here I'd happily talk to them.
Irony: already drawing a teleportation circle That counts as an invitation right?

Less plot important but also amusing
Demon dramatically spins his mechanical throne to face the party.
Maddox: That's mechanical right? I break it with granny's blessing.
DM: Haha sure his dramatic turn stops midway. Wait...OH NO.

Our Ending cosmology was: Plane(moon)
Life: Av,
Death: Fourmyle,
Time: Etheax(Treyfka),
Space: Iokhar,
Earth: Amrou(Dunkelweiss),
Fire: Jiese,
Air: Caeloon(Baden),
Water: Ostea(Ascetia)
*Irony and I wanted Iratha Ket but Maddox was very opposed, we did evacuate it's citizens to Amrou though.

Luigrein

Explorer
Preface of I haven't read the actual adventure path because player, so while I know us jumping the rails meant the DM had to improv a lot I don't know what was based on the path and what was made up because we threw a grenade at the plot.

Broad strokes of all that happened. Since we largely sidestepped the ob issue and convinced Nicodemus to work with us, the last arc basically became us inserting ourselves into the war between the gods and the far realms, Gidim being essentially the far realms chief weapon, and the Gyre being the gods main weapon to combat it. Then reforging our cosmos to chart the path forward for our world.

Irony's ascension gained some aspects of "how are you going to deal with potentially joining a pantheon that is worried about the implications of your ascension and views your world as a dangerous wild card that may need to be destroyed to maintain the stats quo."
*the planar trait of our world was unlimited potential. Gaining epic levels is normally impossible, so inhabitants of our world can be rather uniquely powerful and even divine ascension isn't off the table. This put us in a position of "could be really effective against the far realms, but also a nightmare scenario if giddim manages to corrupt our world and bring us to it's side."

On the less cosmic scale Kirk did become king, and he and Irony had a kid. Between a (then) demigod parent and being exposed to fey titan magic, the advisors loved babysitting the magically aging teleporting child. Doran joined the unseen court officially (he accepted the offer of Ekossigan's position after the muder mystery, with the caveat that he wouldn't really be available until after the adventure path) after the immediate threat was dealt with and Av was restored, he tries to avoid the politics as much as he can and manages a group to keep watch for future far realm incursions. Maddox I think kept doing Maddox things. Please avoid being on the wrong end of his beam shotgun with grenade launcher, shrink ray, and grappling hook attachments. That sometimes turns into a scythe that somehow still does all that.

We do still play mostly weekly, most of our hiatuses were from zeitgeist rather than gaming completely. Islexi was unable to DM for a bit (I think because grad school bit it's been a while) so we did some other campaigns, then kept on those for a while once he had more time before finishing zeitgeist.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases