ZEITGEIST [ZEITGEIST] The Continuing Adventures of Korrigan & Co.

Greys of Shade

First Post
Mh, wasn't the part of the reason why Eladrin men suffered that much the fact that they couldn't sire children with other women? Including elves? I always thought that was because they were fey and not humanoids...

So maybe, some special reproductive magic might help. Or maybe they could have children with fey (or even Deva?)

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Mh, wasn't the part of the reason why Eladrin men suffered that much the fact that they couldn't sire children with other women? Including elves? I always thought that was because they were fey and not humanoids...

So maybe, some special reproductive magic might help. Or maybe they could have children with fey (or even Deva?)

I would have thought that their problem would be that no full-blooded eladrin could be born.

SanjMerchant

Explorer

I should add that I finally know who Lavanya is now, but I’m saving that revelation for later.

Should we take bets now or wait so none of us spoils it with a lucky guess?

Also – quick question: can eladrin have children with humans?
Asking for a friend?

In all seriousness, I'd go with yes, it's physiologically possible, just incredibly rare. The two Victory Wars (with the death of Srasama being the end if the second) appear to have a strong racial component (either as the cause or the effect), even before the Great Malice. The attempted genocide that was the Second Victory could easily have sealed the idea that sleeping with humans (even non-Cryssilyri) is considered essentially treachery.

Sent from my SM-G900V using EN World mobile app

gideonpepys

No guessing! Pet hate.

Asking for a friend?

My eladrin maiden is already round of belly, thank you for asking.

In all seriousness, I'd go with yes, it's physiologically possible, just incredibly rare. The two Victory Wars (with the death of Srasama being the end if the second) appear to have a strong racial component (either as the cause or the effect), even before the Great Malice. The attempted genocide that was the Second Victory could easily have sealed the idea that sleeping with humans (even non-Cryssilyri) is considered essentially treachery.

Yeah, I'm going with 'creates a half-elf' but is socially unacceptable to most eladrin, even moreso now that their race is in jeopardy.

Reason I was asking is, I was thinking of creating a backstory subplot with Gupta's parents. Like maybe they were Vekeshi all along (and therefore, without even realising it, working for the Ob). I'd like for her mother to have been half eladrin. She can begin to learn more about her heritage in Elfaivar.

Greys of Shade

First Post
I'm all in for betting!

Okay, I looked it up as I got kind of confused myself :D

So, the Player's guide stated that many Eladrin men fled their lands to seek wives of other races, but they couldn't have kids with them. I guess most of them went to Ber or Risur, as the latter has the second-best connections to the Dreaming and the former is said to have welcomed refugees from Elfaivar with kind of open arms.

But what you decide for your own campaign should be completely up to you. Especially as an Eladrin heritage could be a good hook-up for Gupta and I'd always take a good narrative over what's presumed to be canon.

SanjMerchant

Explorer
Yeah, I'm going with 'creates a half-elf' but is socially unacceptable to most eladrin, even moreso now that their race is in jeopardy.

Maybe it's just a difference in phrasing, but I was thinking something a helluva lot stronger than "socially unacceptable. The phrase "blood traitor" springs to mind.

Another thought had occured to me: what if the first elves were actually human/eladrin hybrids? Obviously, they've sort of spun off and mostly bred among themselves for the past millenium or two (especially as the Clergy and Elfaivar locking horns got the parent races really, really mad at each other). Just a thought I had, since the distinction in 4E (which is where eladrin-the-PC-race originates) is that elves are essentially eladrin whose ancestors went native in the mortal world, but that's pretty much abandoned in the Zeitgeist setting; eladrin have a stronger connection to the Dreaming than elves, but they very much come from this side of the divide.

If you use the "sleeping with humans is blood treachery" thing it might unnecessarily complicate interactions between elven and eladrin characters. Unless elves spun off so very long ago that the origin is either almost or entirely forgotten, but then we get into "If the PC's aren't going to see it or its effects, why bother?"

Anyway, probably a bit late to shoehorn in that bit of lore, but it was a thought I thought I'd share.

So, the Player's guide stated that many Eladrin men fled their lands to seek wives of other races, but they couldn't have kids with them. I guess most of them went to Ber or Risur, as the latter has the second-best connections to the Dreaming and the former is said to have welcomed refugees from Elfaivar with kind of open arms.

Huh, I'd forgotten that detail. Well, it's possible that in the first few years after the Great Malice, some eladrin did shack up with Risuri humans, only to later find they'd earned the hatred of their former countrymen as the Vekeshi and the likes of Asrabey Varal rose to prominence. So, much as single eladrin will disguise themselves as elves or even half-elves to keep a low profile, the rare eladrin-human couple takes a similar route.

Or you could just say that they sought mates from many races... none of them human. (Which might explain the whole "no kids" thing, if eladrin can only produce children with their own kind or humans.

:shrug:

gideonpepys

Eladrin women can bear half-elf children with humans (and maybe tieflings and half-orcs (and any other race if one or the other partner is appropriately polymorphed...)). But they only bear such a child if they wish to. This may be a well-kept secret.

Eladrin men cannot procreate with other races.

That's what I'm running with. Solves the problem of the lack of half-elves in Danor, and the story of eladrin men failing to sire children with others. Keeps a sense of the power of the eladrin matriarchy.

gideonpepys

Character Sketches - Korrigan, Malthusius, Leon

If you've got a PayPal account, Claudio is always looking for work.

I tried contacting Claudio via the email address on his website, but haven't had a response. So I had to take matters into my own much less capable hands!

I find myself wishing there was fan art of these characters. ...

I really wish I had pictures of what I thought each looked like.

As I mentioned a few weeks back, I did some sketches of how I imagine the characters many years ago. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to track them down but the other day I found them in a huge stack of old Zeitgeist stuff. I've attached Korrigan, Malthusius and Leon for now. This is Leon after his face was healed, natch.

3P8xH Y9mhGJVAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCAA==

i73scGA0oxmNzAgHRjOa0X4xIxwYzWhG 8WMcGA0oxntFzPCgdGMZrRfzAgHRjOa0X4xIxwYzWhG 8WMcGA0oxntFzPCgdGMZrRfzAgHRjOa0X4xIxwYzWhG 8WMcGA0oz0xdnzAjHBgtJfdDBQoXmYzwoHRXnZ7pjjdy2lGODDay27P1KR5Oc0IB0YzmtF sf8HOGDUbTDMhtEAAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

AdBZ2vwFjkCAAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCAA==

Attachments

• Korrigan Portrait.pdf
    105.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Leon Sketch.pdf
    72 KB · Views: 110
  • Malthusius Sketch.pdf
    122.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

gideonpepys

Character Sketches - Matunaaga

Here's Matunaaga. I found that I hadn't darkened his hair, for reasons that will become obvious. As I am no master of technique my primary method of blacking out large areas is to colour them in with a felt tip pen! So here's Matunaaga before I had a go, looking like an albino. And Matunaaga after I broke out the crayons, looking more accurate but even more amateurish.

Attachments

• Matunaaga Sketch 1.pdf
    118.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Matunaaga Sketch 2.pdf
    108.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

gideonpepys

Character Sketches - Rumdoom

Variations on a very similar theme. #1 and #5 come closest to how I envision him.

Attachments

• Rumdoom Sketch 1.pdf
    126.9 KB · Views: 223
  • Rumdoom Sketch 2.pdf
    158.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Rumdoom Sketch 3.pdf
    168.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Rumdoom Sketch 4.pdf
    222.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Rumdoom Sketch 5.pdf
    194.5 KB · Views: 155

Remove ads