A Keep On The Borderlands: Arrival


What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 575

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Dr Simon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,725
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    47

    Ignore Dr Simon
    My communities:

    A Keep On The Borderlands: Arrival

    By current reckoning it must be the Day of the Hornbeam, in the spring month Germinal, the third day since leaving Last Ferry following the faded road towards the border stockade known as Fort Key-11 (or K-11).

    To the left of the road is a broad sward of grassland leading to broadleaf forest where the horse chestnuts are putting forth white candles of blossom amidst yellow-green spring growth. The forests rise on rolling hills, becoming a blur of green that laps against the feet of snow-capped peaks showing blue in the far north. To the right, a shallow stream flows back towards Last Ferry, with grass-covered moraine rising on the far bank.

    The Dulat party moves slowly to allow the foot soldiers and pack mules to keep up. The land is empty except for long-abandoned evidence of orc activity, a few fragments of elven ruins and the more recent spoor of beastmen.

    Rounding a bend in the river, suddenly they come upon another, smaller, group of men. Although ragged and weather-beaten, these are plainly soldiers of some kind.

    OOC

    In the Dulat party are Arcata, Bastion, Sh'aah and Cormoray as well as 20 1st level foot-soldiers, four pack mules and any riding animals/companions associated with the PCs.

    The other group is Greggory and 4 soldiers, ex of Fort Key-11
    New from The Lazy GM: Freaks and Horrors. Pre-gen Pathfinder stats for forty monsters, classic and bizarre.
    The Lazy GM Series. Pre-generated monster stats for the discerning adventurer.
    The World of Conclave. Innovative (and free) webworld for d20.
    White Dwarf: The First 100 Issues
    Play By Post Links

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    ahayford's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    795
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore ahayford
    Greggory and his men take defensive positions across the road. They wear the garb of the Empire's Army, but also bear the marks of the penal legion branded on their foreheads. The black cloaks which allow the normal rank and file to identify them as penal soldiers on the field have become tattered and worn, much like the soldiers themselves. It is obvious they have been living in the brush for a while. One of the men who appears to be the leader steps forward. He obviously doesn't mind that he is clearly outnumbered....or perhaps he is just desperate.

    Halt in the name of the Empire! I'm afraid that this road no longer receives the funding it once did and now carries a toll by order of the master of Fort Key 11. If you would be so kind as to leave your supplies by the side of the road, my men and I would be happy to let you pass.
    Last edited by ahayford; Sunday, 6th November, 2011 at 07:04 PM.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Napanee, Ontario
    Posts
    5,518
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    1

    Ignore Kaodi
    Brother Comoray's eyes narrow. The priest of Velshionne glances and takes note of the position of the Dulat soldiers, his flock, however small, and then positions himself for administering the blessing of the Lady Magnificient. It is not his place to speak for the company of Lady Dulat.
    -Kaodi

    Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
    Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
    Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
    'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
    But he that filches from me my good name
    Robs me of that which not enriches him
    And makes me poor indeed.

    -Iago, Shakespeare's Othello, Act III. Scene III. Lines 180-186.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Shayuri's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minnapolis, MN
    Posts
    17,116
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Shayuri
    My communities:

    Arcata gives Bastion a quick look, then nudges her horse ahead of his to take the lead of her contingent. She trusted he'd be ready to charge out at a moment's notice, and she didn't move forward far enough that he'd have trouble getting out in front of her.

    Even after a long day of riding, she was something to behold; with long, slightly wavy golden hair falling around her head like sunlight, and clear, fair skin that made her sapphire eyes stand out all the more.

    "It is in the name of the Empire that we have come," she said. Her voice was clear in the still air, carrying to every ear present. "By order of the High Throne, we are sent to the Keep, bearing no distraction or delay, and stand before its master, if he be loyal to the Throne still."

    She surveyed the rabble before her, and with a softer edge in her voice said, "The current master does not seem to take good care of his men, if I may say so. I hope I offer some comfort when I say that things are about to change. Until then, you may join our camp; eat and drink with us, share our fire and share what news you have of the Keep." With that, Arcata smiled. "Does that not sound better than a hopeless squabble at the roadside over scraps?"

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    ahayford's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    795
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore ahayford
    The leader of the prison legion glances back to his men.

    You hear that men? She wants to talk to the master of the keep.

    The rough looking men laugh among themselves, a rather unpleasant noise that promised more sinister thoughts then mirth.

    Well, "milady". You stand before him now. As far as I know, my men and I are all that's left of the garrison force that was once stationed at Fort Key 11. The last remaining officer left promising to bring reinforcements months ago.

    The soldier looks at the young girl and her small retinue.

    If all he could find was a girl barely old enough to marry and her nurse maids....maybe my men and I are better off joining the wardens...

    The soldier's face tightens into a grimace as his empty stomache rumbles.

    But......It would be rude for my men and I to turn down such a courtly invitation. My name is Greggory, Sergeant of his Imperial Majesty's Penal legion. The four bastards behind me are Janson, Dack, Cassie, and Tye.

    Each of the men nod in turn.

    Speak for yourself Greg

    For the first time you realize that one of the soldiers is a woman. Her blonde pixie cut frames what would otherwise be a beautiful face. Her loose fitting armor and cloak hide any signs of femininity. She holds a crossbow which is still currently trained on Arcata.

    Sorry, 3 bastards and one whore.

    That's more like it.

    Now why don't you but that thing away before it "accidently" goes off again.

    The woman lowers her weapon, but the way she glares at Greggory and Arcata would certainly slay a lesser man.

    I can tell you what has happened here in the last few months, if you could give us word of the Imperium....its been a long time since any news reached out this far.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Shayuri's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minnapolis, MN
    Posts
    17,116
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Shayuri
    My communities:

    Arcata wrestles for a moment with her instinctive revulsion at the realization of what had been going on. The Keep had been crewed by criminals and captained by a coward. No wonder it had sunk! It was becoming abundantly clear that this assignment was tailor made to break and destroy those the Throne felt were inconveniences. Bitterly, she thought that the ragtag remains of broken Houses probably fit under that description. Even so, there might be opportunity here too. If she DID succeed, against all odds, then it would seem all the more noteworthy. And what, really, did she have to lose?

    "Sergeant Greggory," she greeted crisply, ignoring the comment about her youth for the nonce. Pick your battles... "I am Lady Arcata Dulat, of the House Dulat, here on Imperial order to take control of Keep Key Eleven and use it to establish the Emperor's peace over the surrounding lands and make them suitable for colonization. You and those under your command will join our forces. We'll find proper equipment for you when we pitch camp. Also, you are invited to my fire tonight so we can exchange our stories. First of all, I need to know if there are any more of your men, either in hiding or waiting elsewhere. Secondly, will we reach the Keep by nightfall, or should we watch for a roadside camping spot?"

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Dr Simon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,725
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    47

    Ignore Dr Simon
    My communities:

    "Sure I talk, Lady," says the wagon. "Whaddya want, I should do a tap dance as well?"

    "A gift from a friend," says Ryal breezily. "I'm happy to arrange further supplies from Last Ferry and beyond, if I don't have what you need right away, although it will take a little time to organise."

    OOC: As a rough rule of thumb, I think that each 1gp spent covers resources to feed one man for one month, assuming that no disasters occur, and that all of the agriculture works. But we shall see about this in future.
    Last edited by Dr Simon; Tuesday, 11th December, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
    New from The Lazy GM: Freaks and Horrors. Pre-gen Pathfinder stats for forty monsters, classic and bizarre.
    The Lazy GM Series. Pre-generated monster stats for the discerning adventurer.
    The World of Conclave. Innovative (and free) webworld for d20.
    White Dwarf: The First 100 Issues
    Play By Post Links

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,014
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore jkason
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Simon View Post
    OOC: As a rough rule of thumb, I think that each 1gp spent covers resources to feed one man for one month, assuming that no disasters occur, and that all of the agriculture works. But we shall see about this in future.
    OOC: Bastian had 10 gp total to contribute to the purchases, and I believe Cormoroy offered up the same. I believe we've gotten three sets of 'artisan's tools,' (woodworking, stoneworking, and farming). That's 15 gp. So we currently have enough for seeds and suchlike to cover ... 5 of us. Yoinks!
    **My most recent fiction is in Viridian Legacy: The Wasting of Duny Slough**

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Shayuri's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minnapolis, MN
    Posts
    17,116
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Shayuri
    My communities:

    It might ease Bastian and the Brother's minds when Arcata produces her purse. Though her funds were not much compared to what she was used to, it dwarfed what they had to spend. Seed...tools for harvesting and growing...and just plain foodstuffs; whatever the wagon had.

    "A tap-dancing wagon would be something to see," she replies to the plucky cart with a smirk. "I may just have to call your bluff on that someday." Arcata turns back to Ryal. "I think it would be best if a meeting between us and Last Ferry were arranged. Are you heading there next? If so, would you deliver a letter to whoever is in charge there? We have more to discuss than just trade...though trade will be a very important part of it."

    (OOC - Arcata has a total of 65 gold pieces on her person. She can use roughly 50, I think, to buy a couple of months of food...assuming the wagon has that much...to give us time to get on our feet. The other 15 she can either hold onto, or buy further materials as needed. What do you guys think?)

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)



    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    1,333
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Gygax Memorial Fund

    Ignore Axel
    My communities:

    Sh'aah

    Sh'aah grunted as the leaders openly showed weakness and indecisiveness in front of Ryal. "Demand tribute. And men. And food. Not negotiate..." He walks off in frustration, intending to do a circuit of the walls, such as they were, to make sure nobody had sneaked up to the keep while everyone else was occupied elsewhere.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Gamer Arrival
    By KB9JMQ in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Friday, 21st October, 2005, 05:24 PM
  2. Early Arrival of Dungeon #128
    By Waylander the Slayer in forum General RPG Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Friday, 7th October, 2005, 04:31 PM
  3. New Arrival.
    By C. Baize in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Saturday, 3rd April, 2004, 05:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •