A Keep On The Borderlands: Arrival

Dr Simon

Explorer
OOC: My assumption for the gear carried by the Dulat troops is something along the lines of a Roman sarcina, and as I recall the party does have some pack mules with extra equipment. I think we can assume that there is enough general gear to be moderately self-sufficient for a while, although not beyond a very basic field camp level of comfort.

jkason

First Post
Bastian Sangue, human cavalier

Bastian, back in his armor, fell back into the Silent Bodyguard role he'd assumed since Arcata and he escaped to their current life. He didn't imagine his liege needed any help negotiating for basic supplies, but he also wasn't about to assume there wasn't some surprise brewing. Nothing seems simple or straightforward since the Dulat massacre.

Dr Simon

Explorer
"I thank you kindly ma'am," says Ryal. He unhitches a bag from his wagon and pours out a measure of seed in front of his two flightless birds who begin to feed.

"This is Yirk, and this is Yark," he says.

"Yirk" says Yirk.

"Yark" says Yark.

"And might I be permitted to know to whom I am speaking?" asks Ryal.

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah

Sh'aah waited impassively through the introductory exchanges. This creature was a half-breed like himself, which meant he didn't dislike it on sight. The half-breed traveled with his allegiances and symbology written plainly, for any that had the eyes to see it.

Sh'aah stood taller amongst the crowd gathering and adjusted his pendant and symbology. If the half-breed had eyes, as he suspected, it would see.

Shayuri

First Post
"I'm Lady Arcata of House Dulat," she replied. She still had to fight back a flinch when she said it like that. It still reminded her of things she'd rather...if not forget entirely, than at least put out of her mind for now.

"Are there other towns in the area that would be friendly?" she asked. "This was the Empire's farthest outpost, but a traveling merchant like yourself doesn't usually stray too far from his customers."

Dr Simon

Explorer
Tzintzan Ryal gives a florid bow.

"Well met, My Lady," he says and gives Arcata a sly glance as he stands. "And how are House Dulat weathering the changes in the Empire? Or rather, Commonwealth as it now stands. I gather the old noble houses are having a somewhat trying time of things."

"Ah now, other settlements. There's not a lot beyond Last Ferry. Once there were farmsteads across this land, but I suspect the beastmen have finished them off. If My Lady has a map of the area, I can tell her where to look. I would also seek out he dwarves of the Zwergenberg if I were looking for allies in the area. Again, I can show you on a map."

jkason

First Post
Bastian Sangue, human cavalier

Bastian glances to Arcata, shrugging slightly. It seemed reasonably safe to give the man a look at maps. He turned his gaze to Sh'ah and Greggory, both in possession of better (or at least more recent) maps than the vague and inaccurate parchment they'd brought along on the voyage. He was still leary of taking too many liberties with Greggory's men, so he held off sending one of his own runners to claim the penal legion's equipment.

Shayuri

First Post
Tzintzan Ryal gives a florid bow.

"Well met, My Lady," he says and gives Arcata a sly glance as he stands. "And how are House Dulat weathering the changes in the Empire? Or rather, Commonwealth as it now stands. I gather the old noble houses are having a somewhat trying time of things."

"Ah now, other settlements. There's not a lot beyond Last Ferry. Once there were farmsteads across this land, but I suspect the beastmen have finished them off. If My Lady has a map of the area, I can tell her where to look. I would also seek out he dwarves of the Zwergenberg if I were looking for allies in the area. Again, I can show you on a map."

To her credit, Arcata's face betrayed no hint of the storm that the merchant's words stirred up. Only someone who knew her fairly well would understand what the slightly too-long pause meant. She'd been thrown off balance for a moment, but recovered with a smile.

"Dulat has had some troubles," she says, "But troubled times can be opportunities as well. I have great aspirations for this place. Now...maps."

She looked back at the others, momentarily considering. Who to ask to get the maps? Sha'ah probably knew them best, but Greggory was really more 'in charge' of the inside of the keep. Yes, that would be best

"Watch Commander Greggory," she said, "have someone bring those maps out here, please."

Arcata's smile remained when she turned back to Ryal.

"In the meantime, perhaps we can take a look at what you've brought to trade," she suggests. "And...I'm curious, how long have the beastmen plagued this area? Was there no protection for those farms when they first appeared?"

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah

Sh'aah waited impassively. Enough time had passed for his message to have reached the Marshals. This creature could easily represent their reply and show how they viewed this new military force fitting into the regional power structure. He resolved to say nothing that might change the information that would be conveyed. Sh'aah waited and watched, giving nothing away.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Greggory sends for the maps, and answers Arcata's question on behalf of Tzintzan.

"This keep was supposed to protect the farms," he says, "if the commander hadn't been so keen on lining his own pockets." He spits. "Last patrol that was sent out never came back. Then we kinda stopped bothering."

A map is bought over, although it too is little more than a schematic and mostly vague arund the edges. Tzintzan Ryal and Greggory are able to point out the farmsteads - the nearest is about 2 miles northeast of the keep.

Further north, mountains are marked on the map, about three day's travel, east of the eaves of the forest with mysterious lights.

"The Zwergenberg dwarves have a trading outpost in this pass here," says Tzintzan, pointing to the map. "Haven't been there myself for a while, but they used to be friendly enough. For dwarves."

He throws open the side of his wagon.

"Now, my Lady, if your people would care to examine my wares," he moves in closer to Arcata and adds, quietly, "and then I think we need to speak privately, you and your tracker there," he indicates Sh'aah.

OOC: Ryal's wagon effectively contains any mundane item from the lists, but no weapons or armour. He's only got one of anything over 100 gp.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases