A Keep On The Borderlands: Arrival

Dr Simon

Explorer
The spokes-beast curls its lip.

"We'll make sure you live long enough to regret those words," it says, and then shouts in the barking,guttural tongue of the beastmen.

A group of them issue forth from the gate, loping forwards on cloven hoofs and clawed feet, holding an assortment of armaments from flint-tipped spears to swords that Greggory recognises as Imperial-issue equipment.

They are moving swiftly towards the group, roughly outnumbering the Penal Legion (and Sh'aah) by two to one.

Kaodi

Hero
Brother Comoray holds steady among the soldiers waiting in ambush, a prayer for the blessing of Velshionne ready on his lips for the moment where it will be time to strike.

ahayford

First Post
All right Sha'aah, time to see if you're worth what the Lady Arcata pays you. FALL BACK

Greggory orders his men to retreat, following Sha'ah to the abmush point.

Last edited:

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah

Seeing the huge group of beastmen emerge from the keep's gate, Sh'aah gathers the phlegm in his throat and launches a huge spit towards the speaking creature. Seeing the human troops and their leader turn and start running, Sh'aah is reminded of his purpose on this mission.

Want to fight, not run. Easy to forget...humans get lost on their own.

Raising his arm and making an obscene gesture at the charging beastmen Sh'aah turns to follow the others. He pushes hard for the first few minutes to try and take the lead before glancing back over his shoulder to check if the pursuers are still behind.

[sblock=ooc]
Sweet! A chase encounter! I haven't had one of these as the quarry in a loooong time. More importantly, as quarry that would die if it fails...

I can't help but feel that dice should be invovled for Sh'aah leading the beastmen astray correctly (assuming they're still following!) but can't for the life of me think of the best suited skill... Survival perhaps? Bluff? Some combination?
[/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
"If we get eaten, I'm gonna kill you, Sarge," says Cassie, running alongside Gregorry.

[sblock=OOC]
I was thinking probably Bluff for Sh'aah and Greggory, one as main the other as Aid Another in order to lure the beastmen into the ambush site. Speedwise both groups are quite well-matched so I don't think we need worry about that as a factor.

Also, with Arcata, Cormoray and Bastion's group a Stealth check, again with one prime and the others as Aid Another in order not to give the ambush away.

If anyone can think of a creative excuse to use an alternative skill, please do so.
[/sblock]

Kaodi

Hero
[sblock=OOC]I think two possibilities would be either Bastian impressing upon the soldiers that they better damn well stay quiet, or else, using his Intimidate skill, or on the other hand Comoray using his Profession (Soldier) to instruct the men in the proper way for an army unit to prepare for an ambush.[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Bastian Sangue, human cavlier

"Alright, men. I want people on both sides, and follow the Lady's lead. We know fighting; she knows misdirection. We need the latter in order to take best advantage of this trap," he says. "Surprise them, catch them between us, and we can cut them down quickly."

OOC: Bah. No help. I will say, though, to speed things up, Bastian's first action once combat starts will be using his Tactician ability to give the gathered forces Precise Strike

ahayford

First Post
Greggory bounds across the wilderness, his fellow crows nipping at his heels. He deftly pushes branches aside and leaps over a fallen log before turning to see if the quarry has taken the bait.

ahayford

First Post
An evil grin crawls across Greggory's scarred visage....

The beastmen were bounding through the woods, hooting and hollering like starved wolves who had just caught the scent of fresh blood. They had taken the bait, now it was up to the Lady and her men to spring the trap.

We got them Sha'aah...they'll be like rabid beasts to the slaughter

Greggory checks that none of his men have fallen behind, and then continues to the ambush point.

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah

Sh'aah grunted at Greggory's exultation during the chase, "Not there yet. Many things to go wrong." As if to stress the point, he waved his left arm in a general forward and left direction towards some lichen covered granite outcrops, adding "No go there. Slippery rocks. Follow!".

Without glancing back again, Sh'aah led the wild run further around to the right. The route would avoid having to climb to a ridge and back down again before reaching the ambush point. Less chance of a fall getting someone killed, and it gave a good angle to pass between the two ambush gullies. Keep to middle grounds for now. Less mistakes to make. In one hundred steps go low down. Hope they follow down. Then must take next valley to left. Then killing!!

[sblock=ooc]
NB, roll should be considered an Aid Another roll. Forgot to type that in.

Well, even with a shocking Bluff modifier Sh'aah has probably succeeded in not being too blunt and direct. Probably for the first time in his life too...

Stealth check for the main force (with no ACP?) sounds about right to me. Or use the (much) earlier Stealth roll to site the ambush point and modify for armour, PC skill checks etc. Wasn't the smartest move to send the two PCs with stealth off and away from the ambush.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases