A Keep On The Borderlands: Arrival

Dr Simon

Explorer
The beastmen don't seem to have realised that the battle is as good as lost for them already, as they fight on despite being surrounded on three sides by disciplined fighters.

[sblock=OOC]
I've moved Bastion's foot soldiers forwards, and readjusted the beastmen on that side slightly so that they didn't overrun.

[MENTION=6680745]ahayford[/MENTION], let me know if I've positioned the crows correctly or if you meant diagonal forwards.

Initiative Round 2:
Bastion
Troops 1-5 and 11-15
Sh'aah
Arcata
Comoray
Troops 6-10 and 16-20
Beastmen
Gregorry
Crows

I doubt, somehow, that the beastmen will survive this round but we'll see how the dice fall!
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Ambush 3.jpg
    Ambush 3.jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 84

jkason

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Blargh! Sorry. Missed an update, I think. Given that I thought I posted moves I didn't post, this is both unsurprising but worrisome for my aging brain. ;)[/sblock]

"Archers! Focus on the free Beastmen! Pick a single target and drop as many as you can instead of spreading yourselves thin!" he calls out. As the archers move to respond, the Last Lion lets out a grunt as he hacks down another beastman from Bulwark's back. He spurs his mount around the creature engaged with Sh'aah, saying, "There! under the rib, there's a breach in the hide."

The footmen move, trying to take advantage of their commander's chopping swath through the enemy, but only one manages to break through an opponent's guard.

The archers, shifted for best aim and coordination, don't fare much better, their arrows finding more homes in dirt or barely scratching flesh.

[sblock=actions]Bastian:
Standard:Attack Beastman 9

Mounted Greatsword attack; damage (1d20+8=15, 2d6+4=15)

Hit, 15 damage. Since 12 damage killed one, I'm going to assume he's killed another. I'll edit if I'm wrong on that score.

Move: Circle to flank 6. I believe Sh'ah is now in range of the Tactician ability, but I'm not sure if it travels with folks or with Bastian. If the latter, he'll get the extra +1d6 to attack.

InfantryMove:11& 12 North 5'steps (to flank BM 11), 13 & 14 to attack closest remaining BM they can reach with their moves. I don't think 15 can reach anyone, so just move him across the field as far as possible to engage the far side if there's a next round.

Standard:Attacks. 11&12 get the flanking damage bonus. I don't think 13/14 can get into a flanking position with a single move (and can't charge since difficult terrain is involved)

Attacks 11&12, 13 &14

Attack 11; damage 11; attack 13; damage 13; attack 12; damage 12; attack 14; damage 14(1d20+4=11, 1d8+1d6=7, 1d20+2=4, 1d8=4, 1d20+4=7, 1d8+1d6=10, 1d20+2=15, 1d8=4)

One hit for 4 damage. Blech.

ArchersMove: As necessary to bring the 3 beastmen across the way within primary (100') range, since they aren't in melee and thus there's no firing penalty :)
Standard: Longbow attacks vs. 12, then 10, then 8. Concentrating fire to drop one before moving on to the next one in the chain.

Okay, I screwed up the formatting for their rolls, and the result came out mangled. Here's the link to it, but the format's weird:

Archer attacks; damage

Here's the re-roll I did with proper formatting:

Archer attacks; damage (1d20+3=19, 1d8=4, 1d20+3=17, 1d8=1, 1d20+3=10, 1d8=2, 1d20+3=11, 1d8=8)

Second roll looks like only 2 hits for 5 damage total.[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]2/4 tactician rounds remaining. Affects allies within 30'[/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
OOC: Let's see if I can do this without screwing it up this time...

One beastman falls to Bastion's sword as he rides through the battlefield. An infantry man follows him, cutting down the one facing Sh'aah. The rest of the infantry to the right of the battle move to guard the archers from the remaining beastmen, wading through gorse and hawthorn to reach their foes.

Another volley of arrows arches over the gully, and a beastman falls in front of Comoray with an arrow through the throat whilst another is clipped by an arrow.

[sblock=OOC]
B9 killed by Bastion.
The nearest enemy for trooper #14 was B6, which he hits and kills.
One archer hits (a critical), killing B12 and the second hit (for 1 damage) is on B10.

Next,

Sh'aah
Arcata
Comoray (and men)
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Ambush 4.jpg
    Ambush 4.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 74

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah

Seeing his immediate opponent despatched by a soldier, Sh'aah roared in triumph before spotting the next one in his direct line of sight. Racing out across the front of the mounted cavalier he covered the intervening ground quickly and took the creature completely by surprise - swinging the double axe in a two-handed horizontal arc towards the animal with a grunt.

The beastman raised an arm feebly, and too late to ward off the incoming blow. The arm was cut deeply above the elbow, causing a fountain of blood to jet out across the dry and thirsty ground. Whether the beastman would live or not yet Sh'aah couldn't tell - and didn't really care. In any case, the arm was nearly severed, hanging by a few tendons.

[sblock=ooc]
Ha! I'm surprised y'all thought that the level 1 warriors were going to do anything BUT chew the arrow supply some, and roll the odd natural 20. :) Level 1 combat is like watching a slow motion slap fight, which is fun in a a way. More scope for tactics, less for tactical nukes.

Actions: CHAAAARGE! Again. :) I counted a 50' move to reach Beastman #8, which makes Sh'aah's semi-berserker style even goodererer fun.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
Sh'aah's attack is a ferocious one, and very few of the pack of beastmen are left alive. One faces Sh'aah and the entirety of Comoray's sqaud by himself. If a goat-face can express uncertainty, this one does.

OOC:
Next
Arcata
Comoray and soldiers

Attachments

• Ambush 5.jpg
    Ambush 5.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 80

Kaodi

Hero
OOC: Just thought I would post mine now, and it can be adjudicated after Arcata's.

" Mow them down, archers! " says Comoray; then, " Infantry, charge! "

If either of the beastmen within close range is still standing after that, Comoray joins the fray. But otherwise, he says a prayer to staunch the wounds of his most grieviously injured soldier.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases