A Keep On The Borderlands: Arrival - Page 22


What's on your mind?

  1. #211
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,962
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore jkason
    My communities:

    Those troops preferring their longswords surge forward to rally near Bastian and Cormoroy, while the archers make their way in and begin firing in the direction of the southwestern enemies approaching.

    ooc
    I'm going to go ahead and admit that I'm becoming quickly overwhelmed trying to handle large numbers of individuals in the fight. Probably shouldn't have picked the 'general'-y character. In any case, made attack rolls for everyone, though I'm sure some subset can't actually close (melee) or get to targeting range (ranged). Some subset benefit from Cormoroy's Bless, but I didn't apply it since, again, I wasn't entirely sure. No crit confirms on the two that threatened.

    Disposition-wise, as above: melee (1-10) to close with the beastmen in the clump near Bastian (charging if possible, add +2 to any such attack) as well as they can. Archers (11-20) to get within firing range and concentrate on the unengaged combatants coming in the southwest corridor. If they somehow manage to drop those targets, reduce any remaining attacks for melee/soft cover and they'll try for the clump in the middle.

    Melee attacks;damage;Ranged attacks;damage (1d20+1=18, 1d8=2, 1d20+3=16, 1d8=8, 1d20+1=6, 1d8=6, 1d20+3=16, 1d8=4, 1d20+1=4, 1d8=1, 1d20+3=22, 1d8=7, 1d20+1=6, 1d8=1, 1d20+3=19, 1d8=6, 1d20+1=8, 1d8=7, 1d20+3=11, 1d8=4, 1d20+1=2, 1d8=1, 1d20+3=4, 1d8=7, 1d20+1=21, 1d8=6, 1d20+3=15, 1d8=5, 1d20+1=13, 1d8=5, 1d20+3=13, 1d8=6, 1d20+1=20, 1d8=6, 1d20+3=22, 1d8=2, 1d20+1=16, 1d8=2, 1d20+3=6, 1d8=6)

    Parsed to try to cut down on the mess above:
    Code:
    Melee attack rolls: 18,  6,  4,  6,  8,  2, 21, 13, 20, 16
    Melee damages:       2,  6,  1,  1,  7,  1,  6,  5,  6,  2
    Range attack rolls: 16, 16, 22, 19, 11,  4, 15, 13, 22,  6
    Range damages:       8,  4,  7,  6,  4,  7,  5,  6,  2,  6

 

  • #212
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    ahayford's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    795
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore ahayford
    ooc
    Don't stress it man. Should probably spread the troops out amongst everyone to control....I've kind of lost track of my crows actually....

  • #213
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Shayuri's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minnapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,981
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Shayuri
    My communities:

    (OOC - My sense of it is that mass combat won't come up too often, and in the future it should be easier cuz we can have NPC commanders shoulder the burden. Hang in there for this one fight, and then it'll just be us PC's rampaging around the wilderness, subduing it to my will!

    I mean...our will. Of course.)

  • #214
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Napanee, Ontario
    Posts
    5,474
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    1

    Ignore Kaodi
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayuri View Post
    ...subduing it to my will! I mean...our Velshionee's will. Of course.
    OOC: Fixed it for you, .
    -Kaodi

    Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
    Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
    Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
    'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
    But he that filches from me my good name
    Robs me of that which not enriches him
    And makes me poor indeed.

    -Iago, Shakespeare's Othello, Act III. Scene III. Lines 180-186.

  • #215
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)



    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    1,315
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Gygax Memorial Fund

    Ignore Axel
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Shayuri View Post
    and then it'll just be us PC's rampaging around the wilderness, looting and plundering!
    OOC: Better! I'm pretty confident this is about as big as skirmish combat is going to get. Any more participants and some sort of streamlining will have to be in it. 2 for 1 on dice rolls, or some other simplified method. Or just take out the cannon fodder component, and assume 1d6x10% casualties. Then leave the PCs to run amok in a "heroic fray".

    Also, I get to e-roll dice soon! Yay!!!

  • #216
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Dr Simon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,660
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    47

    Ignore Dr Simon
    My communities:

    OOC: Yeah, I've got an array of potential streamlined mass combat systems waiting for if things get bigger. If it helps, you can give a give a general overview of what you'd like the troops to do and I'll do the moving and dice rolling, since I can move the "pieces" on the map. Also, if you want to split the command of the Dulat troops between Comoray and Bastian as we did in the ambush, that's cool too.
    New from The Lazy GM: Freaks and Horrors. Pre-gen Pathfinder stats for forty monsters, classic and bizarre.
    The Lazy GM Series. Pre-generated monster stats for the discerning adventurer.
    The World of Conclave. Innovative (and free) webworld for d20.
    White Dwarf: The First 100 Issues
    Play By Post Links

  • #217
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Dr Simon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,660
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    47

    Ignore Dr Simon
    My communities:

    The Dulat soldiers push forwards into the keep. The infantry, following Janson, move up to support Bastian, Comoray and Greggory on the frontline, but the fighting is inconclusive. Dack leads one group of archers one side of the entrance, Cassie leads another group to the other side, up onto the parapet of the keep. The first archers to reach high ground send a rain of arrows over the heads of their infantry towards the beastman reinforcements, but only one seems to go down.

    Meanwhile, Arcata and Sh'aah gallop up on horseback.

    OOC

    OKay, I've moved and adjudicated with those rolls. Many of the troops weren't able to get to an enemy to engage, unfortunately, so the net upshot is:

    Dulat #2 vs B10, hits for 2 damage (wounded)
    Dulat #11 vs B11, hits for 8 damage (dead)
    Dulat #12 vs B9, hits for 4 damage (wounded)
    Dulat #13 vs B9, hits for 14 damage (dead)

    As far as the Penal legion goes, I've assigned #1= Janson, #2 = Dack, #3 = Cassie and #4 = Tye.

    Treble moved Arcata and Sh'aah's horses again. Everyone is now at, or in, the keep.

    Next up:
    Arcata
    Gregg and the Penal Legion
    Sh'aah
    Bastian
    Beastmen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Keep 8.jpg  
    New from The Lazy GM: Freaks and Horrors. Pre-gen Pathfinder stats for forty monsters, classic and bizarre.
    The Lazy GM Series. Pre-generated monster stats for the discerning adventurer.
    The World of Conclave. Innovative (and free) webworld for d20.
    White Dwarf: The First 100 Issues
    Play By Post Links

  • #218
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,962
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore jkason
    My communities:

    ooc
    Thanks much for the help, and the heads up on future combat.

    FYI: Vacation Notice

  • #219
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Shayuri's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minnapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,981
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Shayuri
    My communities:

    Arcata and Shah arrive at the breach at a brisk canter and she sits up higher to see the fight. It seems to be going well overall...but there, well inside the keep, is a brute that towers over the rest. Bastian, ever the noble knight who leads from the front, clashes with it...but it's nearly as big as him AND his horse!

    Grateful she'd saved her energy for this moment, Arcata murmurs words of power, and blue-white light swirls around her hand. She flings that hand out, and the light twists into an arrow; a comet, a projectile of raw magic.

    It sails through the melee, dodging deftly around friends and foes. Here a soldier of Dulat is startled when the missile streaks between him and the beastman he's just finished off. There a beastman shrieks and ducks as it swishes past. It need not fear though...this spell is not for him.

    The magic bolt erupts from the mist near Bastian and slams solidly into the giant he faces. Not as damaging as a sword's blow...but a message nevertheless, that the battle has been joined.

    (OOC - lol...and thus ends the longest 'I cast Magic Missile' post I have ever written.)

  • #220
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Dr Simon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,660
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    47

    Ignore Dr Simon
    My communities:

    Arcata's magic streaks across the battlefield to strike the skurg, who seems more enraged than anything over its singed fur.

    OOC

    Next up

    Greggory and the Crows
    Sh'aah
    Bastian
    New from The Lazy GM: Freaks and Horrors. Pre-gen Pathfinder stats for forty monsters, classic and bizarre.
    The Lazy GM Series. Pre-generated monster stats for the discerning adventurer.
    The World of Conclave. Innovative (and free) webworld for d20.
    White Dwarf: The First 100 Issues
    Play By Post Links

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. New Gamer Arrival
      By KB9JMQ in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: Friday, 21st October, 2005, 05:24 PM
    2. Early Arrival of Dungeon #128
      By Waylander the Slayer in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: Friday, 7th October, 2005, 04:31 PM
    3. New Arrival.
      By C. Baize in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: Saturday, 3rd April, 2004, 05:51 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •