A Keep On The Borderlands: Arrival

Kaodi

Hero
Brother Comoray approaches the wagon to examine its contents. Though he is not wanting in terms of equipment, there are perhaps some things he could make use of, and there is not much else out here to use his remaining gold on.

His eyes linger momentarily on a journal, which could be useful in recording the trials of his "congregation" , but to buy it and ink would be beyond his means. A simple chalk board with chalk could be useful is ordering tasks. He briefly looks to the wood and stoneworking tools as well as he considers whether to make a purchase.

[sblock=OOC]Would we have brought tools necessary for rebuilding the keep with us (wood and stoneworking), or is that something that would be useful to purchase now?[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Arcata eyes the merchant for a moment, then nods.

"Bastian, Greggory, Brother Comoray...start a list together of what we'll need. I'll be back in a moment to go over it before we talk price."

She gestures towards the door to the keep and beckons Sha'ah as well.

"This way."

Once inside she ushers any guards at post within out and gives Tzintzan a querying look, inviting him to speak his mind.

[sblock]My sense is that we didn't expect to find the keep in shambles, so we may have brought some very basic stuff we'd need to resupply it, but probably nothing like what we'd need for the scale of work to be done now.[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Bastian Sangue, human cavalier

Bastian starts to open his mouth as Arcata dismisses him from attending her audience with the stranger, but thinks better of it. She was negotiating; the last thing she needed was to seem lacking in authority among her own people.

Instead, Bastian locks eyes with Sha'ah a moment as the scout turns to follow his mistress. It's clear from the nature of his glare that he's entrusting the Lady Dulat's safety to the half-orc.

Then, stomach in knots, Bastian turns to join Greggory and Cormoroy in assessing the merchant's wares, though there's a mild distraction to his engagement as he keeps one ear open for trouble.

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah

Sh'aah shrugs his shoulders and turns to follow the lady and the newcomer with his long strides. He is puzzled by the look Bastian threw him. I don't think he trusts his shadow... Wonder why he worries so much? Maybe he is just angry to be here.

Dr Simon

Explorer
OOC: On supplies, I figure Shay has it right - the Dulat troops are equipped for soldiers on the march (I recall there were some mules too) and I expect that they have tents, a portable forge for field repairs and the like, probably a bit of timber, but not the supplies for completing the building of the keep, nor repairing the breech beyond earthworks - they could dismantle one or more of the outbuildings as spares.

They have trail food to last a while, but will need to trade with Last Ferry or somewhere for regular supplies, and to be self-sufficient will need grain and/or animals.

[sblock=Arcata and Sh'aah]
Cassie follows Arcata, having appointed herself (as the only other woman) as an impromptu bodyguard and lady-in-waiting, and Tzintzan ignores her, although she glares at him.

"I come here not only as a trader, my Lady," he says, "but as a representative of the Wardens of the Midnight Sun. We're a loose organisation who try to keep the peace out here on the outland. Rangers, traders," he glances at Sh'aah, "half-orc trackers. We've learned about this Aarach Skullcrusher and his fey shapechanger - I believe it was a creature we call a skinstealer."

Ryal sits down and puts his feet up on the table in the keep's one and only hall.

"This is worrying. It shows that the Unseelie Court is interfering in mortal affairs, and it seems that Crom Cruach worship is spreading as well. I would ask you, my lady, as a representative of civilised folks, to help us in our struggle against these dark fey. In return we can offer our help and friendship, and whatever meagre resources the Wardens have to give."
[/sblock]

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah

[sblock=Secret.Meeting...]
Sh'aah stands stoically, arms folded across his chest. The names and words meant little to him, save that the fairies were increasing their activities. Stupid fairies. I will stomp their skulls to dust...

At the offer of an alliance, Sh'aah glanced at Arcata to gauge her body language as well as words in response.
[/sblock]

Kaodi

Hero
"From my own gold reserves I have enough to purchase one set each of stoneworking and woodcutting tools," says Comoray to Bastian and Greggory. "Also, I was thinking I would buy a chalkboard and some chalk to post messages or instructions where everyone will be able to see it. I would have a few coins left afterwards which I may hang onto."

Shayuri

First Post
[sblock=The Meeting]Arcata glances at Sha'ah just for a moment, but otherwise her attention is entirely on Tzint.

They didn't know who I was, who I'd be. It's natural they'd want to see before they appeared...and that they'd be willing to 'out' Sha'ah implies that they've decided to trust me. Still, it makes me wonder who else is keeping an eye on us...

"I appreciate the risk you are willing to take coming forward to me like this," she says, "And I'm happy to say that the goals of the Wardens sound very compatible with my own. Before I make any pledges though, I'd need a clearer idea of what exactly you would be asking of me. Seeking peace in these parts is a phrase that can have more than one interpretation. I'm no conqueror, and I've no plans to try to be a tyrant, but I can't promise I'll never lift sword if my people are threatened."[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Bastian Sangue, human cavalier

"Tools are good, but we should see what we can do to supplement our planting, provided we get things settled enough here to do at least subsistence farming," Bastian offers. "I just hope I don't have to ask Bulwark to pull a plow; he'll never forgive me."

OOC: Can't find a plow in the SRD, but was thinking farming implements might be a good idea, and if there were seed packs, some of those. Bastian only has 10 gp to contribute, but he'll give what he can.

Dr Simon

Explorer
OOC: Can't find a plow in the SRD, but was thinking farming implements might be a good idea, and if there were seed packs, some of those. Bastian only has 10 gp to contribute, but he'll give what he can.

[[sblock=OOC] I'd rule it as being equivalent to "Artisan's Tools", only for Profession (farmer) rather than a Craft - same kind of thing ultimately. That would give you a pretty good set of items, not just the ploughshare but maybe harness, see drill etc. (specifics can be hand-waved), since 5gp would be a relative lot for a peasant farmer to afford. As for seeds, a look at the Commodities table gives us 1 cp for a pound of wheat - use that as a guideline for other plants too. I don't know offhand what kind of area that would plant, and how many people that could support, nor how much bread that could be ground to. The exacts figures don't matter too much but I'll see if I can get an idea to play with.[/sblock]

Whilst Comoray and Bastion peruse Tzintzan Ryal's wagon, a voice like creaking floorboards suddenly announces "Hey buddy, don't touch if ya ain't gonna buy." It seems to come from a carved wooden face on one of the uprights of the wagon. The face rolls its eyes. "'Course, if yer payin', just place the moolah on my tongue. Aaaah." It opens its mouth wide and sticks out a long wooden tongue.

[sblock=Secret Meeting]
Ryal gives a polite chuckle.

"Of course, My Lady," he says. "Although I'm a trader not a fighter, the Wardens as a whole aren't opposed to the idea of violence. Provided it's pointed in the right direction, of course. Whilst the orc tribes might be willing to trade, there's little chance of dealing nicely with beastmen. I just think it would be good if the Wardens could count you, and this keep, as an ally." He smiles a disarming smile.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases