A Keep On The Borderlands: Arrival

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Sure I talk, Lady," says the wagon. "Whaddya want, I should do a tap dance as well?"

"A gift from a friend," says Ryal breezily. "I'm happy to arrange further supplies from Last Ferry and beyond, if I don't have what you need right away, although it will take a little time to organise."

OOC: As a rough rule of thumb, I think that each 1gp spent covers resources to feed one man for one month, assuming that no disasters occur, and that all of the agriculture works. But we shall see about this in future.

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
OOC: As a rough rule of thumb, I think that each 1gp spent covers resources to feed one man for one month, assuming that no disasters occur, and that all of the agriculture works. But we shall see about this in future.

OOC: Bastian had 10 gp total to contribute to the purchases, and I believe Cormoroy offered up the same. I believe we've gotten three sets of 'artisan's tools,' (woodworking, stoneworking, and farming). That's 15 gp. So we currently have enough for seeds and suchlike to cover ... 5 of us. Yoinks! :)

Shayuri

First Post
It might ease Bastian and the Brother's minds when Arcata produces her purse. Though her funds were not much compared to what she was used to, it dwarfed what they had to spend. Seed...tools for harvesting and growing...and just plain foodstuffs; whatever the wagon had.

"A tap-dancing wagon would be something to see," she replies to the plucky cart with a smirk. "I may just have to call your bluff on that someday." Arcata turns back to Ryal. "I think it would be best if a meeting between us and Last Ferry were arranged. Are you heading there next? If so, would you deliver a letter to whoever is in charge there? We have more to discuss than just trade...though trade will be a very important part of it."

(OOC - Arcata has a total of 65 gold pieces on her person. She can use roughly 50, I think, to buy a couple of months of food...assuming the wagon has that much...to give us time to get on our feet. The other 15 she can either hold onto, or buy further materials as needed. What do you guys think?)

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah

Sh'aah grunted as the leaders openly showed weakness and indecisiveness in front of Ryal. "Demand tribute. And men. And food. Not negotiate..." He walks off in frustration, intending to do a circuit of the walls, such as they were, to make sure nobody had sneaked up to the keep while everyone else was occupied elsewhere.

Shayuri

First Post
Arcata glances after Sh'aah, but decides the time is not right for that particular discussion. Instead she looks back at Ryal and awaits his response to her requests.

Dr Simon

Explorer
"I will return to Last Ferry tomorrow," says Ryal, "If I may be permitted to remain here overnight? I'd be happy to convey a message for you. The closer the alliances out here the better for everyone." He turns to the others. "Brother, you seem keen for one of these," he hands over a slate and chalk from Wagon. "Please, take it as a free gift, in hopes of future trade. I will see what I can do to source anything that I don't already carry. Leave a list with with the Lady's letter."

Meanwhile:

"My men can swear in at least ten different languages," says Greggory, "But I don't think any of them can speak any dwarven of any use."

OOC: If you want to select one of the Dulat men as a dwarven speaker, that's fine.

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
Brother Comoray graciously accepts the gift. "Thank you very much," he says. "I had been thinking this would help us keep organized, but given our funds are so tight at the moment I decided to forgo it. I will be sure to but your gift to good use." He pauses for a moment, looking thoughtful... "Could you perhaps tell us what gods are kept in these parts by civilized folk, particularly the dwarves?"

jkason

First Post
Bastian Sangue, human cavalier

"Fyfe's practically a dwarf already," Zane pipes up when the question's asked, and smacks his shorter, stouter companion on the back with a hardy slap.

"I en't even!" insists Fyfe, though as he realizes eyes have turned to him, his ruddy features grow even redder. "But I ... well, yeah, I speak some deeptongue," he acknowedges, using the more colloquial name for the Dwarven language. Bastian nods approvingly, which seems to slightly bolster Fyfe.

When Ryal's overnight request happens, Bastian makes sure to catch Greggory's ear alone.

"The Lady has to be worried about diplomacy and not offending anyone. I have to be worried about The Lady's neck. I don't want Ryall or his talking wagon are around without a pair of eyes on them, but for our Lady's sake I'd rather he didn't know he was being watched. Think some of yours could handle that?"

Shayuri

First Post
Arcata nods at Ryal and waves a hand towards the keep.

"Of course you may stay," she replies. "There is plenty of space for a guest. I'm afraid the food won't be much better than what you'd carry on the road, but there'll be a fire and a roof over your head at least. Someone will be with you shortly to show you to your room. I believe we can house your wagon in the stable if it...would like that?"

She glances at the wagon curiously, then shrugs.

"We'll be dining shortly after sunset. You're welcome to join us if you like, or food can be brought to you."

Normally a steward would be handling all this, of course, but none of the soldiers were really suited to that work. And it wasn't like Arcata was being kept physically busy. She could use a few spells to pretty up one of the bedrooms and make it presentable. It might even be fun.

Bastian and Greggory would pick the room, of course. She was sure there would be one suitable for a guest, but still positioned in a spot that could be kept secure. That much she could leave to them.

Dr Simon

Explorer
"My Lady is most generous," says Ryal with a bow. "I was just expecting to be allowed to picket within the walls of the fort, but an invitation to dine is most welcome. Wagon will be fine outside, but if I may stable Yirk and Yark I would be grateful on their behalf."

"Sure, sure, I'll just stay here and warp my axles in the cold and damp," grumbles Wagon. Ryal ignores him... it, but with another bow to Arcata he joins Brother Comoray for closer conversation.

"Most civilised people around here worship Our Lady," says Ryal, meaning Velshionne, "including the dwarves, although they find most favour with Saint Rorhen of the Chisel and Saint Gamerrack Stonebreaker, as you might expect. In fact, I understand that they claim that those heralds were, in fact, dwarves. I believe, however, that common ground should be no problem for you despite a few doctrinal differences. Tell me Brother, do you know much of the wicked cult of Crom Cruach?"

Greggory meanwhile keeps his eyes on Ryal even as Bastian addresses him.

"Cassie's adopted her Ladyship already, I notice," says the Sergeant, "but I'll get Dack to keep an eye on fancy boy there and his talking wagon. And I'll keep watch myself. I don't trust the smooth bastard. What's his link with the half-breed?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases