A Keep On The Borderlands: Arrival

Kaodi

Hero
"The Worm of Night, an evil demon worshiped by dark fey and savages like the beastmen," says Comoray as he considers what else he knows of Crom Cruach. "I had to purify and dismantle an altar dedicated to him they had constructed. Filthy business, but it was the Lady's will it be destroyed."

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20+5=18

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Just so," says Ryal. "And the worship has been increasing in this area. I suspect that the dark fey, as you say, the Unseelie Court, are behind it. I'm told that one of them, a skinstealer, was behind the beastmen occupying this fort." He shrugs. "I can't offer you much else, I'm afraid, but stay alert. Maybe the presence of Our Lady will help push back the darkness. They say that the Unseelie Court cannot withstand her light."

Shayuri

First Post
"Skin stealer," Arcata muses thoughtfully. "Does that mean that it can literally steal skins? Kill someone, then take their appearance?"

She glances over at where Bastian and Greggory are conferring.

"That would explain a lot about how the keep was taken, if so. We'll need to work out ways to guard against infiltration."

Dr Simon

Explorer
"I've not had the 'pleasure' of witnessing it myself, but that's what I'm led to believe," says Ryal. "As I was just telling the Brother here, it's said that the dark fey can't abide the light of Velshionne, whatever that may mean. Also, the touch of cold iron is anathema to them."

jkason

First Post
Bastian Sangue, human cavalier

"Cassie's adopted her Ladyship already, I notice," says the Sergeant, "but I'll get Dack to keep an eye on fancy boy there and his talking wagon. And I'll keep watch myself. I don't trust the smooth bastard. What's his link with the half-breed?"

"Much appreciated," Bastian agrees. "As to how our new head of rangers is connected, we can have a private talk with Arcata and him after we've got our guest squared away. My Lady is much better at this diplomacy, but even I know it does us only harm to show signs of suspicion within our ranks."

As if she could feel him mention her, Arcata catches Bastian with her glance, and the Lion breaks from Greggory, moving to give his full attention to the newcomer.

Kaodi

Hero
"I will have to pray upon the meaning of this 'light of Velshionne'," says Brother Comoray. "Perhaps our Lady will reveal its meaning to me. In the mean time, I look forward to a chance to meet with any dwarven adherents. My order does not place the same importance on the Saints as does the Church, to a great extent as a reaction against it. But that does not mean we cannot learn much from the differing perspectives of those who live at the edges of its reach."

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah

Returning from a quick circuit of the walls, from which nothing could be seen, Sh'aah catches a few words of the disparate conversations. Cold iron... Velshionne... It made little sense to the ranger. Rather than take a guess, Sh'aah stood toward the back and caught the eye of his "apprentices". Fixing them with a cold, blank stare, he hoped he made his displeasure clear. There must always be a lookout. Especially when strangers appear...[sblock=ooc] That's probably it from me until mid-January. Taking a holiday, far away from teh internetz if I can help it. Also, new laptop = Windows 8 = me confused. No paragraphs and no ability to colour text. Sorry...am still learning the OS. It can only get better, right? [/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
Time passes at the Keep. The itinerant trader Tzintzan Ryal remains a couple more days before hitching his two flightless birds, Yirk and Yark, up to his talking wagon and making his way back to Last Ferry.

Dewey and Nerfer supervise the clearance of an area within the keep for tilling and sowing which, all being well, should easily provide enough food for the inhabitants of the keep. In the meantime the Dulat settlers have to make do with the supplies that they bought with them, and on whatever Sh'aah can catch.

Preperations are taken for the diplomatic mission to Fanjyr Waystation, outpost of the Zwergenberg dwarves. Sh'aah is to go, as guide, and trooper Fyfe as translator. Arcata, of course, wishes to go and where she goes, so does Bastian. And Brother Comoray is eager to go as spiritual pilgrim and advisor. Cassie also expresses a desire to follow the Lady Arcata. This leaves the keep and the rest of the men under the charge of Sergeant Greggory. Scouts have reported all quiet on the beastman front since Aarach was destroyed. The month of Germinal reaches its end on the Day of the Knife. All seems in readiness to set forth.

Kaodi

Hero
Brother Comoray takes a deep breath and then lets it all out in one big whoosh of air. Standing up on the wall he looks back to survey the progress they have made on rebuilding the fort. Then he looks out towards the horizon in the direction which they will be travelling. "May Velshionne bless this journey," he says out loud, though to no one in particular (other than the goddess herself, of course).

Climbing down from the wall he goes to where the others are preparing to move out. "Let us get moving," says the priest, "The time we spent digging in here was necessary, but we are not getting any younger. This journey may be vital for establishing trading ties that will allow us to supply the fort here, but it is also our first chance to expand our influence in these parts."

Comoray keeps to himself his concerns about how long it will be before they are joined at the fort by other members of his order. While he has been more than capable in handling the mens' spiritual needs and healing thus far, he does not like leaving the fort without the protection of a sworn servant of the Lady Magnificient. He wonders if by the time they return the order will have thought to at least send a messenger to take back word of the success thus far. In any case, the prayer instructions he scrawled on the chalk board for the men will have to warm their spirits until Brother Comoray has returned.

Shayuri

First Post
Arcata joins the Brother and the rest at the gate, with Cassie trailing alongside her as has become usual. She bestows a sunny smile on everyone, for after the constant work of the Keep, a brisk journey and the promise of meeting new folk is a refreshing breath of fresh air for her.

"Good morning, everyone!" she says happily. "We have our translator?" On spying the soldier she nods approvingly at him then climbs up on her mount.

"Then we're off!"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases